Have You Played… Adventures Of Shuggy?

Have You Played? is an endless stream of game retrospectives and PC miscellany. One a day, every day, perhaps for all time.

Touching yourself, as we all know, causes a temporal paradox. The same is true in Adventures Of Shuggy [official site].

Smudged Cat gave us two stunning puzzle games, Gateways and just before it, Adventures Of Shuggy. Neither got close to the attention they deserved, but it’s not too late! Both games mix a fascinating combination of puzzle types in the 2D platforming, with time manipulation, shape changing, portal shenanigans, and in this one, room rotating, rope swinging, multiple versions of yourself working together…

But despite so many ideas in one place, it’s not a mess. It’s a fantastically tight and challenging puzzler, that looks like a classic Amiga game but plays as something much more sophisticated. You’re a cutesy vampire bat gathering green gems, but goodness me, it’ll expand your brain as you go about it. You can find out for yourself on Steam.

From this site

1. Scripten says:

I think I got this in a Humble Bundle some years ago. I rather enjoyed it, though I never did finish it.

2. thenevernow says:

Brilliant little game! Finished it (!) on 360, one day I’ll force myself to face those timed-clones levels I hate and finish it again. :)

3. DeadCanDance says:

“Touching yourself, as we all know, causes a temporal paradox.”
    Haha.

4. LTK says:

Wait, Gateways and Shuggy were from the same developers? I can’t believe I didn’t know this until now! Gateways is one of my favourite puzzle games ever, all its different mechanics came together in a delightfully convoluted way and really made you wrap your head around the time loops, flipped gravity, shrinking, supersizing and more.

Shuggy, on the other hand, I never got along with. It just didn’t feel right, the puzzles were just barely too much of a hassle to complete even if you knew the solution. I would never have guessed the two were made by the same people.

5. mechavolt says:

Oh god, the time stuff. I loved both Shuggy and Gateways up until they introduced time travel cloning. My brain just cannot process it.

6. welverin says:

I thought touching yourself made you go blind.

7. Person of Interest says:

Adventures Of Shuggy and Gateways are also available on GOG, for those who prefer Steam alternatives. Both great games with lots of indie charm.

It’s unfortunate that Smudged Cat’s last game, Growing Pains, was a total bomb and drove the developer out of the games-making market (as detailed on his blog, which is nowadays offline, hence the archive link).

• thenevernow says:

I was hoping to see more games by Smudged Cat, but… Growing Pains is below free-Flash-game ugly. You really can’t sell that.

He really had no clue. :[

8. andregurov says:

Adventures of Shuggy is a great game with a fantastic soundtrack, too. The XBOX 360 Indie games may have gotten a huge amount of stick, but it has dozens (hundreds?) of stupendously good games buried in its crypt. Shuggy and Escape Goat are two of my favorite platform/puzzlers.

9. mim says:

hey, you know what, i don’t know if the subject had come up before, but i think this is as good a place as any other to post a personal request , so here it goes:
    how about a Best Platformers on PC feature, huh?
    i mean, i didn’t play any mario, sonic, megaman or whatever when i was a kid, so i have no attachments to the genre’s console roots, and, to be honest, platforming is not necessarily my favorite electronic passtime – but!
    i’m quite addicited to a duo of absolute classic jump’em ups, Spelunky and Terraria(sure, why not?), and i’m also slightly acquainted with some other gems like cave story, n, braid, psychonauts (sure, why not!), vvvvvvv(er, enough v’s already?), the swapper etc., plus a bunch of old freeware stuff.
    which makes me think that there is, in fact, a solid platformin’ tradition on pc land.
    truth? myth? how about a good, fat feature on the RPS’Best X on PC tradition to sort this out once and for all, then?

…weeell… actually, i’d be much more interested in a Best Shoot’em Up Games on PC article – now that is a genre i used to be invested in ( though never much good at…), when it flourished and bloomed and kaboomed on the web a decade ago or so. don’t know how things are nowadays… but, c’mon, right off the bat i believe i can come up with a list of at least twenty outstanding *free* shmups on a our favorite gaming platform… er, just don’t know how many of those we can run on modern machines…

so, what about it, eh, RPS?
    huh?