Give me a hella yeah: more Life Is Strange coming

We loved Life Is Strange [official site] here at RPS. Even though we’re so old that we had to Ask Jeeves (.com) what all of the slang its characters used actually meant, we fell in love with the autumnal world and the people sighing and struggling through their strange little lives. In a tale as old as time-manipulation, a photography student uncovers mystery and rekindles friendship in a quiet town on the brink of disaster. We’ve all been there.

And we’ve been waiting for more. Turns out development studio Dontnod have been holding out on us because they’ve been working on the follow-up for some time already, as they make clear in the video below.

Life Is Stranger? Lives Are Strange? Life is Hella Strange?

Maybe this will be a direct continuation, maybe it’ll pick up the plot years down the line. Maybe it’ll even be an entire new cast of characters in a new place at a new time. Whatever the case, I can’t wait to see more. I was, in fact, hoping to see more in a few weeks at E3 but that won’t be happening:

…we can indeed confirm that the original Life Is Strange team at DONTNOD are working on a brand new Life Is Strange game. We can’t wait to tell you all about it when the time is right, but for now we are hard at work ensuring it is the very best game we can create. We’re really thankful for your patience thus far and ask for a bit more time. The new game will not be at E3 in June this year but we will be watching the show alongside you all and wish everyone good luck!

Dontnod bring us this news along with a triumphant roar – or a slightly chuffed shrug – as they announce that they’ve reached “over 3 million unique paying players” for the original. They’re also working on RPG Vampyr, though as far as I know that’s a separate team to the Life Is Strange folks. I’ll accept goths in my Life Is Strange, but no actual vampires.

quasiotter says:

I was totally satisfied with what already exists, but I do trust these humans for some more quality material.

Also, us Oregonians do not say “hella.” Those are the SF/Bay Area transplants that are infiltrating our cute lil’ state.

• Rince says:

Wait? Oregon is a real place? Oh my… I always thought that Oregon Trail invented it!!

• skeletortoise says:

Having spent a fair amount of time in Washington I think I ought to warn you that y’all are hella surrounded.

• gwathdring says:

Another Washingtonian concurrence.

• DoctorDaddy says:

Yeah, I’ll second that we don’t do ‘Hella’. Not even on the coast. ‘Heckin”, however…

• Ghostwise says:

I never say “hella” because then I’d feel compelled to add “hella hella heh he heh” and I’m told it gets old fast. Which makes no sense, really.

2. Sagiri says:

Oh, maybe it’ll be “Life Isn’t Strange” and you play through the same events as Life Is Strange, but Chloe never gets powers.

3. nattydee says:

Holy crap! I’ll be honest guys – Life is Strange wrecked me. I reeled away from the end of that game and was more than a little distraught for a week or so afterward. Obviously that is to say it was an amazing game that managed to be emotionally compelling to me in a way that no other game has ever done, but it wasn’t an entirely pleasant experience… akin to falling in love or breaking up with someone or something.

So, fuck yeah. More of that.

• zerosociety says:

Completely wrecked me in a way no game never has before. And while I have a lot of gripes about the ending, I can’t wait to see more from this team on this theme/in this world.

• Pheon0802 says:

I love this game (recently thought bout replaying it actually) From its art and music choice to the directing just so great.

And I get you: When you have to make ur final decision… I just sat there for a moment and then just stood up went away from the PC and did sth else for 10 minutes or so.. I COULDNT DECIDE THAT. The game really put its hooks into ur emotions and thats amazing cant wait for another round.

• warenhaus says:

It was so great! I’m excited but also a little fearful concerning the sequel.

• Warcher says:

Hey, I can function as a regular human being.. while Spanish Sahara isn’t playing..

4. noodlecake says:

Wow. A Stone Cold Steve Austin reference in a game that’s about love and relationships (I think. I couldn’t get past a lot of the bad acting and writing in the first chapter, so I’m not sure what it’s actually about).

Don Reba says:

Life is Strange II: Revengeance

– More weapons!
    – More levels!
    – Crafting!
    – New special abilities!

Thulsa Hex says:

PSA: The word “is” is a verb, and thus should be capitalised in titles, even though it’s only small.

Carry on.

7. NetharSpinos says:

Verily, I am pleased by this news.
    I muchly enjoyed Life is Strange, despite more or less despising Chloe and her rebellious ways.

Once again I shall present my heart to Dontnod, so they can punch it at their leisure.

8. ariston says:

Aw jeez, just hearing the music in the background brought tears to my eyes… one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

Here’s hoping they don’t RUIN IT!!!

9. demicanadian says:

I wanted to ask “why the hell would they need to make a sequel?” but looks like everybody but me is content with the milking. Ok then.

• Mumbles says:

I forgot where I read it, but I’m pretty sure they’ve stated at one point any follow-up would actually not be a continuation of the original LIS, but instead adopt a similar format/story style in a new setting.

• demicanadian says:

That’s what they said about second season of stranger things, before they officially announced it ;)

• Faxmachinen says:

It’s not so much milking as giving in to pressure. The fanboys crave more of the same. Personally I’m on the fence about a sequel, but I wouldn’t mind a “Poker Night” spin-off with the LIS cast (i.e. “Mystic Enchantment Night at the Academy”).

10. Von Uber says:

“And Max Caulfield.. Don’t you forget about me!”

Blimey it was dusty in my room when I played that game. Damn you Dontnod.

11. Someoldguy says:

I enjoyed the original when played end to end, having missed the chatter about the individual episodes. If this one is also released in episodic form I think I will be waiting for the ‘gold’ version. It just wouldn’t be the same in slices months or years apart.

12. Diziet Sma says:

Excellent news. I’m so glad this studio is still around. I enjoyed Remember Me for what it was, and absolutely adored the art direction/artwork. Enough to buy the book in fact.
    Life is Strange was excellent and a superior piece of work to Remember Me. Though I only recently played through the final two chapters so I still have some dust in my eyes.

I’m up for more of anything Dontnod do in other words, but I’m happy they get to revisit Life is Strange. I wonder if we’ll ever get a Remember Me 2? I wouldn’t complain, and a sequel is most definitely not milking.

• Mumbles says:

I enjoyed the setting of Remember Me, but the gameplay wasn’t really that good.

Don Reba says:

I enjoyed the combat, but not the time puzzles. But, really, those parts could be anything, and the gorgeous art would have completely made up for it.

13. Pendragon says:

Bae before Bay !!

14. Mumbles says:

Consider me excited. LIS was one of the most pleasant surprises/experiences in gaming for me in recent years.

• DoctorDaddy says:

I agree entirely! Even with the RPS coverage, I was caught off-guard by how effectively it got me invested in Max.

15. Deviija says:

I’m so excited about this news. I love Life is Strange. I kind of hope it’s not episodic content this time around? But other than that, I’m all in!

• thenevernow says:

Just forget about it for a while and play it once it’s all released (and cheap).

• somnolentsurfer says:

I think the episodes were a big part of what made it so memorable. All the fun of discussing it, but five times over! And, unlike others (Dreamfall, KRZ) they were released often enough to actually remember what happened from one episode to the next.

• Pheon0802 says:

hey yeah I agree I would support a four or five ep arc with pauses between releases. (even though my binge devil inside me will rage) You can take in the eps and think about them theorize. Instead of one big chunk u will actually appreciate the details of each ep far more this way and I am all about that!

One thing that sometimes bugs me bout gamer: I will buy it when its cheap attitude. In many cases I dont get it. Cause if you love a game and its creators/publishers especially if it isnt the usual formular to make big bucks but takes some risks in story telling and gameplay. (and LIS actually very much did that by choosing a female main who is also Bisexual and has a Same sex LI option in game… in games this doesnt happen very often.)
        U SUPPORT THAT. With your wallet, I get it if you wanna wait for some Bundle of SIms games cause EA sucks, and their pricing is right from Wallstreet minds. Certain games I just buy on full price out of respect for the people who made it and because I want to tell them I want more of this made.

16. shagen454 says:

hurry up with vampyr

• cpt_freakout says:

Maybe we’ll get a crossover. Life (Sure) is Strange (as a Vampire)

17. gwathdring says:

I’ve heard rumblings it will not be a sequel, and I very much hope those rumblings are true. I’d love to see what they can do with new material after having tested the waters a bit, but they decidedly completed the last game and there’s not really anywhere I’d like to see it go next.

Big Dunc says:

I’m a bit late to the party and only just finished Life Is Strange (I still need to go back and see the other ending). I loved it, but I hope this isn’t a direct sequel, as I feel that Max and Chloe’s story is finished. There are still a few unanswered questions though, such as where did Max’s powers come from and what was going on with the doe?

• Faxmachinen says:

I think it’s quite deliberate that the origin of Max’ powers are never explained. I also don’t think there’s any way to explain it now without disappointing half the people who played the game.

• Pheon0802 says:

I think the doe represented the spirit of rachel amber who wanted closure and helped guide max to resolve her mystery. or maybe bout max own spirit animal seeing how it plays on territory with native american history/settlement

and her powers I actually loved that it wasnt explained where she got it. Magic in general is all bout the mythiticism and not knowing all bout it. It was a brilliant gameplay feature though. ^^

19. warenhaus says: