Oohrah! Rising Storm 2: Vietnam now in open beta

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

I played a lot of Rising Storm, the standalone multiplayer expansion to Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad and officially the 27th best FPS of all time. It got its gritty claws into me. So I’m pretty pumped for the sequel, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam [official site], which has now got a launch date of 30 May.

Yep, that’s just 10 days away. Oohrah! If you fancy getting your hands on it even earlier you’re in luck, because a free public beta is now live and will run until Monday evening.

That’s plenty of time to get some practice in before launch day, so you can feel like a super-soldier when the servers flood. And if you’re really serious about getting a head start, developers Tripwire Interactive have released a Youtube playlist of tutorials, ranging from the basics to advanced class guides.

The previous game was a slow-paced shooter focused on realism and teamwork, and you can expect more of the same here as teams of 32 players battle through Vietnam’s jungles and cities. There’s some pretty hectic helicopter action, too, as the trailer below shows:

Tripwire Interactive has also announced that owners of zombie headshot simulator Killing Floor 2 will get some extra weapon skins. Not really my bag, but hey-ho, it’s free.

Head over to Steam to launch the public beta.

I haven’t managed to play the beta yet, and may not get a chance to play it before release. So for those that have: is my enthusiasm justified? Is it as good as the original? I’m eager to hear.

1. CantFindAUsername says:

Game is really good, glad I pre ordered.

Dorga says:

Top gam, I’d say it’s every bit as good as the previous ones.

3. EkoAzarak says:

Listen… throw away that Battlefield series shit. Piss all over that Call of Doody shit. RISING STORM is the historical FPS you NEED to be playing. This developer makes FUN and INTENSE FPS. The rest out there is weak shit for peasants.

4. shaydeeadi says:

This is great, also really glad I pre-ordered. Almost every step you take in RS2 is super intense, the maps are well crafted and feel organic with tons of interesting and varied structures. The squad/commander interactions are brilliant and really well implemented. They have nailed the atmosphere too, explosions are terrifying and gunshots ring out in buildings something fierce. Really fun colour filters in the menus too.

Can’t recommend this game enough.

5. Pulstar says:

Boring, boring, boring. And this coming from a RO2 fan.

• pentraksil says:

How come? RS2 could hardly be considered boring if you are a fan of RO. A little bit faster, much more options (minus vehicles, for now) Might just not suit your taste, but hardly boring.

6. VN1X says:

The vietnamese accent is absolutely terrible and bordering on racist. Why they didn’t simply do Vietnamese VO is beyond me.

Also it’s janky as hell.

• Mansfield says:

Tell me, what use would the announcer be if it spoke language you can’t even understand

• VN1X says:

Wow. That’s quite the short sighted world view.

Anyway I guess you never played the original CoD games or, more recently, Day of Infamy?

• Mansfield says:

I still don’t know what you are trying to say. Only the announcer speaks with vietnamese accent, stuff like “The enemy is attacking Bravo” “Switching sides” do you really want lines like that to be in vietnamese almost no-one can understand them?

You do know all of the character sounds that don’t matter much are in vietnamese

• VN1X says:

The characters you play literally sound like they’re being voiced by the guy from City Wok.

• TimePointFive says:

Except the voice actor is Vietnamese and the accent is perfect.

• AMG_Conrad says:

Hey, just to confirm that the announcer is a Vietnamese native speaker–and having lived in Vietnam I can honestly say that the announcer sounds like a Vietnamese person speaking English.

Glad to a bunch of people enjoying the beta, though!

7. klops says:

But can you go prone there?

• pentraksil says:

Why not?

• klops says:

That was a joke addressed to Tripwire’s RO2, where most common note in the bug-ridden and way too early released game was “Cannot go prone here” for a long, long time. It took them something like year and a half to make the prone pretty dependable. At first you just couldn’t do it easily unless the ground was completely smooth.

But apparently RS2 seems not to be buggy and seems to be more finished. I’ve mostly heard positive feedback from the beta players.

• acespade22 says:

yes of course

• Agnosticus says:

No, no, you surely can’t!

8. zeep says:

I like it. The only thing i hate with a passion is the horrible chatter players do automatically. Totally ruins stealthy gameplay. “HEY I’M RELOADING!” , “I NEED TO RELOAD!” .. I don’t want to shout all the time letting enemies know where i am.

• MeFirst says:

You can reduce chatter in the game settings.
      Beside that, chatter like GRENADE OUT, I AM RELOADING are team sided. The enemy does not hear that.

9. Agnosticus says:

Great game, heartily recommend this one after 11h of play. If ARMA is a little too much for you and the BF series is for babies, you are golden!

10. MeFirst says:

I have been playing the series (Red Orchestra) since mod days and I like RS2 so far. I would also say that it even feels a bit more “newbie friendly” compared to previous games. Movement and aiming is a bit more direct and I think that helps new players.

Otherwise it is pretty much more of the same good things. I would probably have questioned buying it for “full price” but the price itself is very reasonable for the content you get.

11. Chaz says:

Won’t this be like, terribly one sided, what with all the whirly birds dropping bombs and what not?

12. DEspresso says:

Those 80’s movies made me to expect that every Viet wears a straw hat. I feel super-betrayed.

13. mastercontrol90 says:

Don’t get hyped, the game is terrible: gunplay sucks and feels floaty, hud it’s meeeh..map design sucks too, the sound system is terrible and the pacing is soo bad that the game become boring after a couple of maps.
    Red orchestra 2 and rising storm 1 are way superior games

14. Vincku says:

At last, a native FPS game covering the Vietnam War… Once every decade. (Anyone remember Vietcong ?)

• Rikstah says:

Yes! I deadset spent hundreds of hours playing the game vietcong absolutely loved it. Do you remember the excellent multiplayer flash game they made to promote the release of the actual game? It was a team based 6 v 6 top down game

15. cannedpeaches says:

Was fairly good when I last logged into it, a few months ago, with a key purloined from PAX South. There was a lot of roughness to it – placeholder voiceouts courtesy Microsoft SAM, textures that were clearly waiting until the art department could get around to them, and so on – but more than anything the couple of maps I did get to play felt a lot like RS1’s best-ofs, Iwo and Guadalcanal and the like. The trademark asymmetry is kept intact, with US Marines feeling laden with firepower from napalm and Little Birds and still somehow overmatched at times by the Viet’s tunnel networks and near-invisibility in brush. Some of the maps are a bit wonky though, with it being possible to, for instance, hang on top of a mountain and pick off players three hundred yards away because of your superior geography. RO2 and RS1 both managed to avoid that with claustrophobic maps littered with cover; RS2 did not. At least not yet.

16. OmNomNom says:

I really tried to like this but something just feels really off about the gunplay.

The spawn camping sucks too