The Walking Dead season 3 finale is just 10 days away

Walking Dead S4 ep 5

If you’ve been itching to tie up all the loose ends in The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series – A New Frontier [official site], then you won’t have to wait much longer. Telltale Games have announced that the conclusion of season three of their point-and-click zombie ’em up will shuffle onto screens on 30 May and will be called From the Gallows, which sounds pretty ominous.

They’re keeping their cards very close to their chest on this one. There’s not even a trailer to look at yet – that won’t arrive until next week.

Telltale promise that it will be the “most tailored episode to date”, with all your decisions in previous episodes coming to a head. Here’s what they had to say:

“Thanks to the nuanced relationships you’ve developed over the course of this season, ‘From the Gallows’ will be Telltale’s most tailored episode to date. As you know, Richmond teeters on the brink of collapse, and the lives of its citizens and all those closest to Javier hang in the balance. The decisions you’ve made and bonds you’ve nurtured will determine which characters now trust Javi to safeguard all they hold dear as this crisis pushes every relationship past its breaking point.”

The series launched back in November with a two-part special, and John didn’t get on with it one bit. After a three month gap the episodes have suddenly all sprayed out at once, and this will be the third that has arrived since the end of May. The jury is still out, with fans generally convinced it’s a step down from previous attempts.

If you want in, the season pass is available on GOG, Steam and Humble Bundle for £18.99 (there’s currently 25% off at Humble Bundle).

How are you finding the series so far? And what shocks do you think are in store for the last episode?

1. Howling Techie says:

I feel like this is the first time I’ve read about this since the announcement trailer ages ago, and now I’m reading about it again now that it’s been almost completely released. I suppose that’s not the best sign, seeing as I usually see some chatter every time an episode in their other series is released.

• Jalan says:

Lost interest in the game series before the television series personally, recently decided that moving on from the latter was a good idea as well.

Not to say the games are bad, it’s just that after trying with Season 2 and the Michonne “barely a thing” mini-spinoff, I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. I’m among those people who took the bait when it came to the first season and was surprised to learn it was a pretty satisfying experience but even after readjusting expectations to accommodate season 2 I just didn’t get the same enjoyments out of it.

• Zallgrin says:

Walking Dead season 1 was pretty great, but everything after it was just yikes. I tried really hard to love it, but there was nothing left to love there.

• Coming Second says:

This. Season 1 felt like a coherent, well-crafted short story that rewarded you for getting invested in it. Season 2 was a cynical, numbing mess that achieved the opposite. Had absolutely no desire to try Season 3.

• draglikepull says:

Same. Season 1 is great, but season 2 was just OK. I think the problem is that a game like The Walking Dead relies so heavily on the quality of its writing, that when you get the primary writers leaving to go start their own company (and make Firewatch) the quality is bound to suffer. The structure and mechanics of most Telltale games aren’t all that interesting if the writing isn’t good enough to back them up.

subdog says:

I think it’s more that Season 1 was a truly novel experience. Its writing wasn’t consistently great (only occasionally), but it scratched the Choice and Consequence itch at a time when very few games were willing to try it.

Now C&C is in just about everything, and Walking Dead has spawned a dozen clones (mostly from Telltale themselves), some of which even managed to improve on the formula. So now we don’t need TWD anymore, but it’s still probably going to keep shambling forward since it’s an unkillably lucrative property.

2. JJRPIII says:

Guys, this might not be the right place to ask but holy shit does anyone have any idea how to make Telltale Batman work on my Win 10 6800K, GTX970?

I just get nothing at all when I hit the launch button and google / telltale forums and so forth have as yet not yielded a solution.

• Swiergot says:

I had a problem aswell when starting Batman on a similar configuartion but Win7. when i used the shortcuts on the desktop nothing happened but when i started it from the Steam Library it asked me if i want to open the Windows 7 or Windows 8+ version. Basically gave an extra pop up and then worked like a charm.

• JJRPIII says:

I’ve tried booting it from the library in Win7 and Win8+ modes but just get nothing at all.

Basically I’m just staying the hell away from Telltale titles until I find a fix.

3. zethan says:

The Walking Dead Season 3 leaves early access in just 10 days.

4. Biggus_Dikkus says:

i won’t remember that.

5. tslog says:

Agree with the other saying this series is a terminal decline.

Telltale used the very first the walking dead, as an anchor to proceed to run every other game series they released down the drain. A constant level of mediocrity exploiting the first games success that’s worse what activision with modern warfare has ever done, or even assassin Creed since 2, with very minor exceptions.

Not even telltales landmark walking dead series has been protected from this mediocrity factory they’ve turned into. Greed rules.