Lonely Mountains: Downhill promises biking time trials and broken bones galore

Lonely Mountains: Downhill header

I’m not much of a cyclist, so although the daredevil in me likes the idea of hurtling through a forest on two wheels at breakneck speed, wind rushing in my ears, it’ll probably never happen. The closest I’ll get might just be be Lonely Mountains: Downhill [official site], an upcoming mountain biking game that I really like the look of.

Supposedly, you’ll be plonked at the top of the mountain and be able to go all the way to the bottom with no loading screens, taking an established path or trying to carve your own way. But the more risks you take, the more chance you’ll end up clothes-lined by a tree (which is probably what would happen to me if I tried it in real life). The crashes appeal to me more than achieving the best time – it’s got some spectacularly brutal flips and some nice rag doll effects.

There’s timed portions where you’ll be trying to beat the clock, which looks suitably frantic, and hidden areas to find.

Whether it’s any good will depend on how well it controls, which is obviously impossible to judge at the moment. But I reckon it’s one to keep an eye on, and it looks great too. There’s something charming about the faceless, wooden riders.

Developers Megagon Industries have pencilled in an early/mid 2018 release window, and you can vote for it on Steam Greenlight here.

Here’s the trailer – if, like me, you’re in it for the carnage, skip to 23 seconds.

Hat tip to PC Gamer for flagging it up.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

That looks great. Line Rider 2.0.

2. April March says:

I rather like this one.

3. abobo says:

I’m reminded of the downhill biking component of California Games for ye olde Atari.

4. stringerdell says:

Looks amazing! Ill be keeping an eye on this one

5. Jerppa says:

There was a quite good downhill biking game for PS1 but I can’t remember the name.

• iRaphi says:

I remember Downhill Domination for PS2, I hated/loved that game.

• identiti_crisis says:

Downhill Domination is what I thought of, too. That was a little exaggerated in terms of the physicality and I remember that it was brilliant yet terribly flawed. My favourite bits were the technical descents (as in real life) Sadly, there’s still not much else to go at in the genre.

• andytheadequate says:

No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking! I loved that game. Downhill Domination was also good.

6. MrLoque says:

And, of course, it’s a f*cking “early access, grrenlight, crowdfuding” game that “will (hopefully) pass the finishing line early/mid 2018”. So, basically, yet another “please give us money in advance for our AWESOME idea”.

Nope, not again, not anymore.

RPS, for the love of God, please please please add a flag to SKIP, HIDE, IGNORE any post about “unfinished” games. I beg you.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Like it or not the industry has changed, to ignore early access games would not do RPS any favours.

-jj- says:

but…But…BUT!!! without that, there would be no articles on, say, Subnautica or Rimworld or Factorio. Games I’d hate to miss out on, even in EA.

I like to think of RPS as my responsible curator, for EA titles worth a second look.

• c-Row says:

Some are filed under “Premature Evaluation” though only once they are playable (and got played).

• Dogahn says:

I can’t blame you for thinking the game is actually for sale. After all, that is what we’ve been conditioned to assume. Perhaps it’s better to look at these things as, “oh that’s cool… hopefully I’ll remember it when it’s done.”

Early Access is like the old Previews section before digital distribution became big. Gives you insight to what is coming out, the fact that you can invest in it is just frosting on the cake.

7. Michael Manning says:

This looks excellent, voted. Good luck!

8. CMaster says:

Mountainbiking does’t require being a daredevil necessarily. Doing it at the level shown in this game might, but even someone without that ind of surgically remove fear reflex can enjoy singletrack through the trees.

• identiti_crisis says:

You can do the big scary stuff with your fear intact, it just takes time to work up to that level and to be confident in the abilities you’ve honed along the way. Many people do it purely for the fear. But there are absolutely all kinds of ways to enjoy a ride in the woods.

MajorLag says:

Features this needs:

1) Endless mode
    2) Rarely, a sasquatch runs in from off camera and eats you for no apparent reason.

• identiti_crisis says:

Ah, Ski Free! More games should have malevolently abominable snowmen.

I think it definitely needs a first person view, too. Just for giggles, and assuming their engine can handle it. Picking a line before you can see it is part of the fun.

That said, the visual representation of the physics (excluding the crashes) leaves a lot to be desired, it seems a bit drifty. Hopefully there’s enough technicality in the choice of line along with speed and height control for spotting landings etc. to make it a fun wee thing.

10. The Bitcher III says:

If they get the feel right, I’m all over it.

Balance, weight transfer, changes in grip, front/rear brakes. Suspension / frame flex / skeletal absorption (or whatever).

I’m not asking for Microsoft Cycle Simulator 2017… more like Sega Rally Push Bikes.