Robot exploder Nex Machina blasting onto PC in June

Nex Machina header

Nex Machina [official site], a twin-stick shooter with explosions, robots, particles, and more explosions, is coming to PC on June 20, developer Housemarque has announced.

The company has largely focused on the PS4 in recent years and I’ve heard good things about its games, particularly Alienation, so I’m glad it’s returning to PC. The last time it was here was in 2011 with Outland, which you may remember as as a flashy 2D platformer. I was a big fan.

In Nex Machina, robots have overrun us puny humans. It’s your job to shoot waves and waves of them from a top-down perspective, racking up as many points as possible on your own or in local co-op.

Really, it’s an excuse to create massive explosions with lots of particles. The developers really, really love particles. They’ve even sent out a slow motion gif (below) to show those particles in action.

Nex Machina is the result of a collaboration between Housemarque and Eugene Jarvis, a veteran designer of games including Robotron: 2084 and Smash TV, which I’ve never played but I hear provided ludicrous, over-the-top action. No doubt those roots will shine through.

It’s going to be “pure, distilled, undiluted action” (a similar tagline to the stuff I use to bleach my toilet), and you don’t have long to wait. Here’s a full trailer:

AutonomyLost says:

Sweet! I love a good twin-stick.

2. TΛPETRVE says:

The particles are the least interesting bit. Check those bloody voxel environments that shift and pulsate to the rhythm of the action.

Also, this isn’t just any twin-stick shooter, it’s basically the new spiritual successor to Robotron 2084 and Smash TV; Eugene Jarvis himself was involved with the design process, even if “only” as a creative consultant. Not surprising, considering Housemarque’s previous excursion into retro territory,Resogun, was a modern take on Jarvis’ other great arcade hit, Defender.

• Ghostwise says:

I hope that this, on the other hand, isn’t a similar tagline to the stuff you use to bleach your toilet.

• Darloth says:

Hey I just GOT this keyboard.

Please don’t make me almost spew drink over it :)

Solrax says:

Love Robotron, love Super Stardust HD -> Instabuy! Very psyched for this!

4. Benitoxine says:

In the Co-op Trailer they only mention local Co-op… No online Co-op then?

MajorLag says:

Their previous title Resogun, which provided the engine used for Nex Machina as I understand it, used a deterministic lock-step netcode model. That’s a completely reasonable model for an RTS, but it’s use in a shmup was an odd choice. It is particularly bad at hiding latency or jitter, because it doesn’t attempt to. Maybe they had a bad experience with it on Resogun and decided not to put any effort into it for Nex’s release?

Whatever the case, the engine seems to support it, so it’s possible it’ll come later.