Far Cry 5 trailers tease new setting: Montana

Update, May 24th: Ubisoft today released some artwork which sure makes it look like Far Cry 5 is about a kooky Christian cult. Watch yourselves, gang: the master satirists of Ubisoft are at it again. Who wants to place bets on how many times they say “subversive” during Friday’s big reveal event?

Well, I wasn’t far off in my prediction that Far Cry 5 [official site] would be “set in the fiefdoms of a post-Brexit Britain.” Ubisoft have squeezed out a quartet of teaser trailers for the next open-world FPS and yeehaw, it’s off to that America. These trailers show teensy corners of Hope County in Montana, and… that’s about it. It’s set in Montana. When it is set is unknown. One’s mind might jump to the Wild West but these look pretty dang modern to me. We’ll find out for certain at a a proper big reveal-y thing on Friday. E3 season drags everything out.

Here’s one murder:

A second murder, with a fella wearing some not-Wild Western togs and some unwild farm buildings in the background:

Another murder, with more not-ancient clothing:

And a scream:

A whole mess of rumours were sparked earlier this year by a crew shooting live-action bits for video game trailers in Montana. Some assumed it’d be Red Dead Redemption 2, though Internet detectives decided Far Cry was likelier. These teasers could be what came of that. Some had assumed it would be Wild West-y but looking at these, nah, this seems modern-ish.

They’re only teaser trailers, though. I’ll not spend ages poring over them for minute details because marketing doesn’t warrant that.

Our Adam says he might prefer Far Cry 5 go a bit like No Country for Old Men and Hell or High Water rather than anything rootin’ or tootin’, and I think I’d prefer that too.

From this site

1. walrus1 says:

For some reason, all the trailers except #3 are blocked in the USA.

goodpoints says:

Also the Youtube Gaming thingy seems to think they are all footage from Far Cry 2. Too bad it isn’t a fixed remake of FC2…

2. Zenicetus says:

There had better be pickup trucks to drive, if it isn’t Wild West.

Montana has some mountains in the Southwest, but an awful lot of it is boring flat terrain. It will be interesting to see what they do here. Hot spots for action will be very far apart, if it’s anything like the real Montana.

• indigozeal says:

…The Rocky Mountains take up the western portion of the state; it’s not a tiny pocket of terrain. (The state has its name for a reason.) The central and eastern portions contain a good deal of prairie and badlands, yes, but the game is apparently focusing on one county, not the entire state; Montana’s so big that setting even a Far Cry game in the entire thing would be kind of nuts. If they make Hope County a little microcosm of Montana ecosystems, they should have more than enough terrain variety for the game.

I do think, as voiced below, that a Trumpism/Richard Spencer/Freemen angle is the best bet plotwise.

3. ziffel says:

What animals will they make us slaughter this time? Cattle and pigs I guess?

4. MushyWaffle says:

Sweet. Love seeing games like this on American soil. I’m from Colorado and Montana is very similar. So, i’ll feel like i’m playing in my own stomping grounds. I dig it

5. wombat191 says:

apparently you are facing a cult of bible thumping doomsday preppers.. guns and bibles for everyone !

6. keefybabe says:

OK, I might be a bit interested after all.

• krikitarmy says:

Same. Sadly, I know that interesting setting can’t make up for boring gameplay, but boy am I intrigued by this setting.

• Anti-Skub says:

I’m absolutely not. I was bored of Far Cry about half way through 3, and the chances of this game having ANY really gameplay innovation is virtually zero…it is Ubisoft after all.

• keefybabe says:

Hence “bit”. I finished 3 but when 4 came out was when I’d hit map icon saturation point.

I don’t expect the game engine to be anything new but the setting has me interested enough to read reviews and opinions when it comes out at least.

7. onodera says:

Do green leaf plants grow in Montana as well?

• Jackablade says:

All that lush green grass doesn’t look like it’ll burn particularly well.

• jTenebrous says:

Lush green grass in Montana only last from May through June. After that, it’s very arid, often with massive fires raging somewhere, until September. Then, there’s a brief but colourful Autumn until early October. After that, it’s frozen and snowy until the following April. If you plan to visit, your best bet is to go during the early to mid Summer.

8. VN1X says:

What makes you say this will take place in a modern setting Alice?

• Zenicetus says:

I could only watch teaser #3, but the opener with a church shows high voltage power lines to one side of the frame, and a propane tank outside the church.

Unless that’s an intro for a flash-back to the Wild West, then it can’t be much earlier than mid 20th Century.

9. StevieW says:

I’m gonna call it, Far Cry 5 : Deliverance.

10. jonahcutter says:

Hell or High Water was overrated imo, but No Country For Old Men would be an incredible structure, and template for thematic exploration, for a game to build around. I’ve always yearned for a game about tension and narrative, and where each violent encounter was important and distinct. Each individual death of an enemy an important event that affects the direction of the narrative. Where killing another person was just that, the death of an actual person and not some empty video game shell.

It would be real tough to pull off in gaming where we’re conditioned to expect killing hundreds of enemies within a single playthrough. The Far Cry series as emblematic of that experience as any. Even if falling short though of such a lofty goal, I’d sure love for them to try.

• onodera says:

> The Far Cry series as emblematic of that experience as any.

Makes me wonder how they’ll justify the existence of a well-armed religious cult big enough for you to kill many hundreds of members. Branch Davidians were what, less then a hundred men strong, and they were taken out with helicopters and armored vehicles.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, that’s the problem right there. No Country For Old Men is an interesting story and setting, but the body count was low, and every kill meant something important in the story.

Open world shooters don’t work like that. The player makes hundreds of kills, and the only ones that mean anything are mini-bosses and bosses. It would be great to see one of these genre games breaking the mold, but I can’t see Far Cry as the one that does it.

Nauallis says:

Right, the only way to make every kill meaningful in an open-world game like Far Cry is to equalize/empower the characters you have to kill so they are on par with the player’s abilities; ergo killing them represents removing a serious obstacle. And typically that means using other players instead of writing AI/scripting to work it out (justifiably, writing AI that feels realistic and balanced but not cheap is very difficult, otherwise this would be a more common thing). At that point we’re now playing PU:Battlegrounds or DayZ or Rust, and it’s no longer about the singleplayer story.

• Anti-Skub says:

Hell or High water had beautiful cinematography and The Dude was fucking excellent in it…but yeah, apart from that I agree, critics went nuts for what was a fairly run of the mill movie.

Not really the point though. The suggestion wasn’t that they were going to make the movie into a game, just that it would be thematically interesting.

Nauallis says:

I was hoping you were just trolling us, Alice, until I watched a trailer. Now I just hope Ubi is trolling us.

Oh hell, I don’t know what to think now.

Far Cry Primal really was a blast to play, and FC4 was pretty good if not particularly original after FC3. I could look forward to ganking American right-wing Christian assholes, though. “How’s that second amendment working for you now!?” *stab*

12. Ghostwise says:

I *think* that Ubi still has the Hannah Montana licence. So I confidently predict an amazing crossover.

13. KaiUno says:

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand…. is what popped into my head after those first few notes. Then they repeated them for good measure.

14. Geezer says:

You can view the videos if your VPN is piped through France (if you have such a hook up.) Looks wicked, these videos. Very creepy. I live in the Deep South and the whole 2nd amendment/God-lust is right down the road. Yeesh.
    Many don’t realize that Montana is home to a lot of separatist/survivalist groups, and they were BIG on Trump in the election.
    This could be quite fun…

phuzz says:

Screw Deliverence, where’s a game that takes its cues from Fargo?

16. The Bitcher III says:

A decent idea, but the magic 8ball says it’s going to be pretty awful. More than one faction would have been the beans. Drug cartel farms and meth labs vs Branch Davidians vs “He was just one week from retirement”.

17. Umberto Bongo says:

Ooh, this looks kinda a Scalped/Fargo-esque Modern Western o-thon. Definitely the most interesting direction they’ve made so far. Given Ubis track record the setting will be the most interesting aspect though.

18. Masked Dave says:

Thank you for deleting that comment I was just about to complain about RPS :)

19. haldolium says:

Kudos to their PR/Marketing department though, they sure do get a wide attention every time they recycle their decade old tedious game mechanics in a new title. I even saw this on several business sites.

20. jTenebrous says:

As a Montanan-turned-UK-Resident, I can’t wait to see what Ubi makes of Far Cry 5. The preview clips so far look make the environment look absolutely legit. And there is plenty of scope for a great Far Cry game to be set there. In the midst of a beautiful, wild, and isolated environment, there’s a lot of lovely people but also some very, very dodgy ones. It’s the sort of place where people who want to hide and never be found can go off-grid and get up to all sorts. Much of my family is involved in MT law enforcement, and their jobs are never short of producing eery tales to tell around the campfire…

21. Squirrelfanatic says:

Not gonna lie, I had to watch the first trailer four times until I saw something unusual. And I just had my eyesight checked.

22. The Velour Fog says:

some sort of creepy light-horror elements would be fun

maybe Children of the Corn style

23. ronehjr says:

It’s about time Ubisoft has gotten the courage to take on the scourge that is Christianity. I just hope the makers of the game keep themselves safe from white, right wing christian thugs who are always committing violence against those that point out how evil christianity is. Stay brave, Ubisoft, stay brave.

Comment on this story