King of Fighters XIV punching to PC in June

Having made the transition from 2D pixellated punching to 3D dropkicking, The King of Fighters XIV will next come from consoles to PC. Developers SNK have announced a June 15th release date for what they’re imaginatively calling The King of Fighters XIV Steam Edition [official site], which will be ten months after the PlayStation 4 release. Hey, after years of catch-up, they are closing the gap. Here, have a look at side-on action in this highly enthusiastic trailer trying to upsell:

The main change with KoF 14 is obviously a switch from 2D pixel art to 3D, which is a look I’m not entirely digging. It does also rework the underlying fighting systems a touch, mind. As the exuberant announcer says:

“There are of course new advanced systems added as well for fighting game fans, including the Climax Cancel feature, which allows players to string together multiple super special moves for extremely flashy and damaging combos.”

I’m told the kids are calling that ‘edging’ these days.

For the PC version, SNK have called in help from Abstraction Games – the folks behind the PC ports of games including Danganronpa and A Boy and His Blob.

The King of Fighters XIV will cost £44.99 when it hits Steam on June 15th.

If you’d simply like to see some punching, voila:

1. Uncle Fass says:

I get that they set a pretty high bar for themselves with the previous games’ extremely hi-def pixel art, but that doesn’t change the 3D style just looking plain ugly in comparison.

I think Guilty Gear Xrd is a good example of doing it right.

2. lhzr says:

>>I’m told the kids are calling that ‘edging’ these days.

3. Unclepauly says:

Lol I can’t believe they used “strip club DJ voice” for that 1st video. I wonder if it’s a subliminal thing because of all the girls. If so that’s pretty messed up.

4. Michael Anson says:

…that man’s bladder has exploded.

5. RaoulDuke says:

I wonder if King is a lesbian…

• Rince says:

Ha! If only…
      I think that the closest to a lesbian character in a fighting game that we got are Lili and Asuka in Tekken. Lili mostly.

And the entire cast of Arcana Heart, that’s it.

6. Slazia says:

“Climax Cancel feature” – According to Wikipedia, they should probably remove this. “Systematic reviews of research evaluating abstinence-only sex education have concluded that it is ineffective at preventing unwanted pregnancy or the spread of STIs, among other shortfalls.”

7. Daoler says:

That edging joke is really great, thanks for the chuckle.

8. Chillicothe says:

No other fighting game has KING OF DINOSAURS.

That is all.

9. April March says:

That first trailer is super weird. It looks like someone decided to make a trailer spoofing a shopping channel style ad, wrote thirty seconds’ worth of script, and abruptly died; and then their replacement assumed it was meant to be played straight.