Unexplored takes on Aliens in free DLC

Unexplored [official site] is one of my favourite new dungeon-crawling roguelikes, using smart procedural generation to create levels that don’t play like anything else out there. There are puzzles and monsters and loot chests, and I love it dearly even though it isn’t even slightly turn-based. I also love Alien, even though it seems to have become a scab that Ridley Scott can’t stop picking at.

The latest DLC for Unexplored, Ripley Run, puts some Alien into the game. And it’s free.

In a normal Unexplored run, the greatest challenge is figuring out whether you should fight or flee, and whether you should try to stick your face into every nook and cranny or preserve your health and equipment by sticking to the slightly more well-trodden paths. Try to find everything and you’re likely to burn out, but plunge downward without gathering the essentials and you might end up overpowered.

There’s already been one free DLC that switches things up, dropping you in the Mines of Moyrondor and challenging you to collect as much cash as possible. Ripley Run remixes the main game in a similar way – by changing the core objective. Rather than exploring and surviving, here you just have to kill as many critters as possible.

“In The Ripley Run only your number of kills count. Face off hordes of Creeps with your repeater crossbow, a Ring of Detect Life, and a stack of explosive potions. Kill the Visitor Queen to finish the run and double your kills.

“The real challenge of the Ripley Run is to carefully manage your resources and learn where to look for more in the overrun mining colony. Unlock several achievements to improve your character from the start and you just might set a really high score.”

It’s great to see continued support for what is still one of my favourite games of the year. To learn more about what makes Unexplored so damn good, check out my review and our Mechanic feature on the unusual procedural generation techniques.

Mungrul says:

I do love Unexplored, even though it seems to still have problems with extended sessions, with framerates dropping severely after a while. But other than that, the almost complete focus on gear rather than stats is really refreshing.

2. Ghostwise says:

But can you make the Ripley Run in less than 12 parsecs ?

3. jorisdormans says:

Hi Mungrul, we are working on bugs and performance right now. As a matter of fact I just plugged what might be the memory leak that has been causing these issues for some.

4. phanatic62 says:

Oooh good fun. I dipped back in to Unexplored this weekend and had a grand time. I haven’t even tried the DLC yet – there’s so much game here that the asking price is a great value. I hope more people give this one a shot.

5. Viral Frog says:

I spent about two hours with Unexplpred yesterday and left the game disappointed. Not disappointed by the hame, though. Disappointed by the fact that I couldn’t play any longer than I did at the time.

i did notice an issue with my frame rate dropping after a while. It would also lag out on death for about 5-10 seconds before anything would happen. But that was a minor issue, really because it never impacted the performance to the point it was unplayable. From the comment above by jorisdormans, it looks like that hopefully won’t be a problem much longer.

I’m excited to be able to play some more! I can already tell this is going to end up being like Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon for me and consume all my free gaming time.

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

You had to mention Alien, didn’t you? Went to Covenant yesterday and it sucked so bad I’m still angry rememembering it.

7. amblingalong says:

I love unexplored, but I have to admit I wish the devs were focused on adding features and content to the main game instead of releasing successive ‘alternate’ modes; it’s cool and all, but there’s still so much that could be done with the actual primary experience! The special runs (at least Moryondor) seem to be fun for a couple tries, but it’s the central Unexplored experience that keeps me (and I suspect most players) hooked.

8. b00p says:

Picked this up over the weekend and am pretty smitten by it. The level generation really is as special as everyone has been saying. The way the puzzles and secrets are implemented is great. I also quite like the look of it. The style is simple but very charming. I really enjoy the nigh-abstract design aesthetic, and little touches like the pulsating rocks and the way the fungal(?) forest areas animate.

It’s a somewhat quieter and slower in a way, even though it’s no less challenging, (and I’ve yet to finish a single run,) than your Spelunkies and your Nuclear Thrones, and that difference in pacing also really helps set it apart. The exploration really is the core of the game, and that’s pretty rad.