Mirage: Arcane Warfare’s magical bust-ups out now

Aspelliarus! That’s a magic spell from the popular series of children’s books, Harry Potts. Another thing that features deadly magical nonsense is Mirage: Arcane Warfare [official site], the multiplayer first-person shooter from the makers of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. You swan around with swords, spears and maces while partaking in some feisty wizardry as one of six distinct classes of murderous mage. I’m telling you all this because it’s out now, innit.

Here’s a launch trailer so you can see what the craic is, but there’s also a lore trailer, er, if you give a donkey’s about that.

As you can see, there’s magic. Your spells can be customised in the loadout of whatever spellcaster you like, “from the ghostly Vypress assassin to the hulking Taurant.” It’s all wrapped up with 27 maps and six game modes: Arena, Capture the Jinn, Team Objectives, Capture Point, Pushable, and 10v10 Team Deathmatch. Characters can customised with different tattoos, weapons and armour and you can also change your voice lines, which is a very Overwatchy feature.

I tried to play a recent beta but the servers kept telling me “nope” for reasons I could never discover, so I’m sorry that you won’t be hearing what I think about casting giant flaming orbs. If you are sold, however, it’s on Steam with a 10% launch discount making it £20.69/25,19€/$26.99.

To quote a lovable character from a well known series of children’s books: “You’re a wizard boy now, Harry Potts!”

1. Someoldguy says:

But can you ride a broom and play Crudinaditch?

• Daymare says:

I remember reading JRR Rolling’s “Harry Potts and the Philosophic Stoner” when it came out. I was about twelve at the time, it was revelatory and totally enchanting! That famous scene when Hermaphrodite Grung casts her first Flingardium Levitosa drew me into the world of Schlogwards.

Despite the Potts series being labelled Satanic in my village — and my family’s subsequent banishment from our home — it remains, to this day, a bright and fundamental part of my childhood.

2. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

It wasn’t off to the greatest start, sadly.
    According to the devs the servers were up but, due to a problem with Steam, they didn’t appear in the list. Valve has fixed the issue this morning but the servers were understandably empty since there was no clear idea on when they’d start working.

3. Tetrode says:

This just doesn’t look as fun as Chivalry. From the videos I’ve seen it’s less about raw and ridiculous melee combat and more about the rock paper scissors overwatch style gameplay which I just find a bit dull and predictable.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I can see why you’d think that from videos but nah, not really. There’s no intricate meta of hard counters and stupidly fun melee is still king. The abilities are there to give it some depth (they did streamline the basic combat from Chiv) but anyone can kill everyone.
      The ‘rock paper scissors’ part is more like: “Well, we’re pushing the cart, might as well switch from the minelayer Tinker to the Vigilist. Here, I’ll drop the bubble shield to help the team then I’ll go kill somebody”.

4. Ephant says:

120 players online… Ouch.

5. Lord of Beer says:

I think this one is dead on arrival, sadly. They’ve tried to make an Aladdin version of Overwatch (8v8 matches), instead of Chivalry set in a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic-style setting (16v16/32v32 matches).

Alternatively, they should have just made Chivalry 2.

People couldn’t find games due to low population during the beta, and complained about the tiny 8v8 matches, to no response from the devs. The full release is the same.

6. Foosnark says:

It looks like this game has it all: yelling, gore, running headlong toward people with swords, and people waving tiny hands and super-thin wrists in front of the camera.

7. BaronKreight says:

Honestly I don’t get people hating on this game. Overwatch has nothing to do with this game at all.

Here come the developers who wanted to do a game in a non-standard setting and tons of sheet are coming down on them. Gamers are a fickle bunch indeed.

Or maybe it’s just game development is like a lottery. Unless you have a ton of money to spend on marketing and focus groups and testing and what not.

• Someoldguy says:

I’m not this game’s demographic at all, being old, slow, disinterested in PvP and particularly PvP for no higher purpose (I kinda dug the RvRvR stuff in Camelot) but if I was I still think I’d have issues.

I love the idea of wizard combat and even had a couple of cutting edge wizard duel games back in the era of the ZX Spectrum. The cool thing about it was all the different kinds of spells you could take, from an extensive point-costed list, to defeat your enemy wizards with, for huge variety and replayability. This game seems to have decided to only dip their toe in spell slinging and four out of the six classes are tank-melee, melee, assassin and umm trap tinker? If they were going to have traps, they could at least have been _magical_ traps! I’m sure it’s cleverly balanced, but nothing about stepping into a battleground to crush the enemy tinker underfoot sets my imagination alight.

• Beefsurgeon says:

One of the main draws of Chivalry for me was how gritty it was. This is all bright colors and fancy pants. I don’t think it’s a bad game, it just doesn’t have the same appeal.

8. DeFrank says:

The biggest problem I had with this game was that the combat felt really dull. The attacks had no weight or impact.