Netflix Warren Ellis Castlevania series gets debut trailer

Netflix's Castlevania

Oooh! The Castlevania animated series Netflix commissioned now has a trailer. That means we have our first look at the Warren Ellis-penned adaptation (although there is more than half a minute of preamble and sneaking in refs to other Netflix shows – GET TO THE POINT! AND BY POINT I MEAN THE POINT OF THE STAKE BECAUSE DRACULA):

I assume that Warren Ellis wrote:

“Who are you?”

“The man who’ll kill Dracula.”

I wonder if that’s all he did. Like, whether he turned up to a meeting with a napkin in his hand where he’d jotted that down and then said, “and I assume the rest will be whip choreography and dancing draculas” and then everyone else in the meeting nodded in a “yes, that seems reasonable” way and then they had a nice croissant and went home.

I guess we will find out when the series airs on 7 July.

1. Babymech says:

This made me wish it was Mike Mignola’s Baltimore (the best Witcher) getting a show, instead of Castlevania. Boo, trailer. Boo you.

2. Jenuall says:

Warren Ellis? Who he?

• Durgendorf says:

He’s a graphic novelist, best known for Transmetropolitan. Whenever he takes on contract work like this for big licenses he approaches it from odd angles. If this is even half as bizarre as Ellis’ animated take on GI Joe this’ll be the best kind of good dumb fun.

• iucounu says:

He great. Transmet, obviously, but also wrote personal faves PLANETARY (three ‘mystery archaeologists’ explore strangeness for the titular, shadowy org), THE AUTHORITY (what if the Justice League just decided to rule the world?) and GRAVEL (SAS ‘combat magician’ does horrible stuff to bad people).

3. Turkey says:

What is a chair? A miserable little pile truth legs! But enough talk! Have at you… bastard!

4. Stevostin says:

Indeed can’t smell a lot of Ellis in there. That would be a shame because clearly that’s the bit of the project that makes it potentially interesting.

• cpt_freakout says:

Come on, it’s just a teaser, not a full-blown trailer. These teaser things annoy me to no end because they don’t really show anything, and usually trailers are much better at conveying what the approach is gonna be.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

I have a Steam friend who’s playing Lords of Shadow right now and that game looks exactly like the stuff that turned me off Darksiders. An animated series would be immensely more enjoyable and less annoying.

DantronLesotho says:

As a ~30 year fan of the series, it’s sad that it’s taken this long. The Captain N version wasn’t enough!

7. Det. Bullock says:

I’m sincerely curious, Warren Ellis is, well, *Warren Ellis* and I wonder how would he adapt this kind of material.

8. Rogerio Martins says:

Well, as a graphic novel writer, Warren Ellis is one of the best currently, not sure about his movies though, also, not sure how much he is to blame, but if he is the writer, finally I’m a bit hyped. Planetary is just amazing.

Comment on this story