The horror! Friday the 13th plagued by server issues, gradually improving

Friday 13th server problems

Friday the 13th [official site], the brutal 1v7 slasher sim, has got off to a bumpy start. As soon as developers Gun Media and IllFonic let players loose with masked maniac Jason Voorhees earlier this week, the game’s servers started crashing.

When it works it’s a tense multiplayer romp, says Adam, but many players are currently unable to get their foot in the creaky cabin door. The team have been up all night fixing a ‘Game Database Login Failure’ that was caused by too many people flooding its servers, but the problem persists.

In a post on Steam yesterday, the developers said:

“That is a server migration issue. Basically we’re turning off our first set of servers and upgrading servers to be more widely usable for people around the world (we want you to play with people close to you, but not have you waiting for too long). We have upgraded to servers that should very easily be able to handle everyone, but we want to say that issues like this login problem might show up.

“Our team was in the office until 4AM EST, some guys are still working, but most are getting some sleep. Heck, I finally got some sleep and will be up as long as I can for you guys here.

“We are working on servers like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, I promise you. “

Some users are able to log-in, some aren’t. In an update on that Steam post earlier today the developer said that players’ accounts were slowly beginning to come back online.

“Users might start seeing their accounts come back, though they will see Lvl. 0 displayed with everything unlocked. This seems be getting stable. We are *pretty* sure that all of your save data is on the backend, still being tracked, but not displaying on your client. This is progress, but in no way final progress. Should have more info.”

A quick look at the team’s Twitter page tells you that they’re determined to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Let’s hope they can sort the issues out soon so that we can spend our bank holiday Monday impaling survivors on giant metal spikes.

1. SuperDi3000 says:

The only thing this game is plagued by is it’s price. Content and gameplay wise this is not worth almost 40 Euros. Charging nearly full price for a game in which you have seen everything it has to offer in 2 hours of gameplay, tops, is ridiculous.

• fish99 says:

Gotta agree, it’s £30 on Steam which is more than I pay for new AAA games. The other problem it has is the levels all look the same, they’re all ‘cabins in the woods’ when there’s so many other settings they could have used.

• WdMeaun says:

I do enjoy the game, but yes the price is much too steep. Especially since you consider the back-end (server) problems.
        It’s not that surprising a newer company did not estimate correctly, but it is bit of a shame that they didn’t just scale it up 500% or something. (which nowadays is a lot easier than it used to be).

It’s just not a really good game; it’s more a polished version of a Garry’s mod mod.
        If you use a progression system with an always-on demand, even amateurs would know to invest in infrastructure. With such good sales figures, they really ought to have mooore than enough to compensate.. Which they don’t.
        So yes.. their faults are not that grave, but I don’t think they’re very suitable for game developement. Just too many loose ends.

That said, I still like the game, but the newbie smell of the developers are very much present. (at least they’re not as bad as Notch and his cronies)

2. Be_reasonable says:

And yet, I am incredibly happy for them. This is an important franchise, and I feel like if it does well as a videogame, we might get more movies. And Freddie might come back! I know there are a ton of movies for both franchises, but I have seen them all several times and own all the DVDs, and I still want more.

It’s the best of horror, and some of the most fun you can have watching a horror movie. So, good for the studio, and I hope they do well irregardless of the price.

• ColonelFlanders says:

What is it that grabs you about the franchise? This is a genuine question, I’ve seen most of the Jason movies at some point or another and never really got them; I kinda figured people were enjoying them ironically in an MST3K kind of way.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

The films have not aged well. The slasher-horror genre was a product of it’s time and even Scream was only popular because it lampooned the tropes whilst playing them semi-seriously. Novelty was what drove the series and knowing that wouldn’t last is why there was a new one literally every year for almost all of the 80s.

It watched Friday The 13th part IV a while ago on Netflix, afterwards I saw that because I watched it they recommended for me Dumb & Dumber 2. So Netflix don’t think much of it either.

• Be_reasonable says:

This should probably be a wikihow on how to enjoy a horror movie and what makes Friday the 13th brilliant horror films. As someone who has watched countless horror films, here is how you can enjoy it.

1) Every horror film has a kill order and a kill type. The best horror films have creativity in the kill type and surprises in the kill order.
        2) Most horror films need to have a moral in order to make the film okay to watch and in some cases, laugh at the villains. For example, in the Friday the 13th set of films, irresponsible and sexually promiscuous characters set the villain up for his eventual lethal judgment upon them. Imagine if these camp counselors were responsible Eagle Scouts helping kids at a camp for the blind. It wouldn’t work, it would become distasteful. Instead, the movies are a not-so-subtle morality tale not unlike what fairytales were hundreds of years ago.
        3) The best horror film settings are funhouses where the initial set of characters come out the other side (probably in pieces). Camp Crystal Lake is the perfect funhouse because it is relatable and offers all the hallmarks of a campfire ghost story. The film even has a campfire ghost story, a not-so-subtle hint.
        4) Most people think of Jason with the hockey mask. The first two films seem to surprise those people a lot.

So for a fan of the movie franchise, this is a sample of what I’m looking at and why I enjoy it (and want more of it). Doing an analysis of the graphics and the dated film resolution is equivalent to saying all movies prior to modern film resolution and quality suck. One could extend that to gaming, and if the only way you judge a game is by the graphical fidelity, that’s a limited viewpoint.

• Werthead says:

“Most horror films need to have a moral in order to make the film okay to watch and in some cases, laugh at the villains. For example, in the Friday the 13th set of films, irresponsible and sexually promiscuous characters set the villain up for his eventual lethal judgment upon them. Imagine if these camp counselors were responsible Eagle Scouts helping kids at a camp for the blind. It wouldn’t work, it would become distasteful. Instead, the movies are a not-so-subtle morality tale not unlike what fairytales were hundreds of years ago.”

The problem is that this goes too far the other way. “Irresponsible and sexually promiscuous characters” (or, as they are often called, “humans”) don’t really deserve to be dismembered in unpleasant ways. If they were Nazis, now you’re talking (but then the villain would be a good guy). It’s a morality play for people whose morals suck.

• Be_reasonable says:

To be fair, the reason Jason even exists is *because* of irresponsible and sexually promiscuous characters. Even if you don’t agree with the morals, there is a cause-and-effect here. None of this is justifying Jason’s behavior, of course.

• spaced says:

@Be_reasonable I think I love you.

I have a feeling a large portion of people who buy this game will have (like me) had experiences as a child trying to defeat Jason on the NES. The big purple bastard…it would be nice if they added a player model for the new game based on that. It would sell like hotcakes.

• WdMeaun says:

What ChiefBeef says.. I don’t think the slasher horror movies aged very well.
        Nowadays especially the slasher movies are just cheaply produced C films.

I very much enjoy horror, but not the slasher kind. For example the movie “It follows”, or the games about Slenderman, are enjoyable.
        The effect you have in these movies/games are very much present in Friday the 13th game. More about the psychologically terror / chase than the cheesy kills.

• MisterFurious says:

Slasher movies are made for anti-social geeks who want to see the quarterbacks and prom queens that made their teen years miserable get butchered.

quasiotter says:

Games like this are way too gruesome for my taste, but I can’t help but be curious :(

4. GuySensei says:

It’s definitely been a slow process. From dealing with “Database Login Failure” to my account now being level 0 and my XP bar not moving. The least to say it is frustrating. A lot of money was backed into this game and they couldn’t have gone the extra mile to put good servers up in the first place? I don’t think game developers always understand how crucial that is to their consumers. Without good servers to host and keep their consumers data intact you cannot run a good online game for them without issues like this. Get on the ball and fix these issues so we can play! I need my level back! I didn’t mind paying $40 to get this game but I do mind not being able to play it properly.

• TeePee says:

I reserve the right to be wrong, but I doubt it’s that simple – if you’re a relatively small gaming studio launching a new game (albeit with a fairly high-profile IP), you’ve probably not got a ton of money to throw away on servers that can handle tens of thousands of players right out of the gate. I’ve never been involved with building or hosting multiplayer servers, but on this scale, I doubt it’s as simple as dropping a big wad of notes on the desk at the server shop and saying ‘moar servers plz’.

This seems to be one of those lucky games that has a combination of having a fair bit of potential, being something slightly different and landing at the exact right moment everyone’s looking for something new to play, so it’s probably selling waaaaay beyond their projections, and as a result, the servers they have just aren’t equipped for the load.

It’s entirely fixable, and despite your cry of ‘get on the ball and fix these issues so we can play’ – that appears to be exactly what they have done and are continuing to do. Patience, grasshopper. :)

• aepervius says:

If you are a small studio which cant buy such server then there are two options, one you use peer to peer tech without central server except for match making. Two you dont do a multiplayer game. At all.

• TeePee says:

Seems a little draconian. Maybe we should tell that to Psyonix, who are pretty much swimming in Scrooge McDuck-ian piles of money at the moment thanks to Rocket League’s success. They had very similar issues.

I’m genuinely struggling to get my head around the fact you’d rather have no game at all than a game that does so well that the number of players causes the devs to have to upgrade their infrastructure to keep up.