Neon Chrome devs announce Dredd ’em up Jydge

The makers of Neon Chrome have announced a new roguelikelike top-down shooter set in the same world. It’s name Jydge [official site], though developers 10tons style the name as JYDGE so the Y looks a bit like a U as if it’s 2012 all over again. Jydge is a futurecop shooter where we get to build and upgrade our own cyborg cops to dispense deadly dystopian justice across the megacity of Edenbyrg. Judge Dredd meets Robocop meets, well, Neon Chrome. Check out the announcement trailer:

That looks fun, that. As you can see, we’ll get to customise our Jydge with different perks and massively change how our gun, the gavel, works. As you might hope for in a roguelikelike, the variety of possibilities sounds great. 10tons suggest:

“Use stealth augmentations to sneak silently in shadows. Make yourself giant and hurl perps around. Make yourself tiny and fit through smaller cracks. Or combine augmentations: make yourself a tiny giant. Up to you.”

The variety in levels sounds good too, with loads of different missions and secondary challenges.

“For example, a level’s primary mission might be to deal with a gang of bank robbers. Secondary challenges might include rescuing all hostages, completing the level in less than 30 seconds, and completing the primary mission without being seen.

“Completing missions and secondary challenges awards medals, which in turn unlock new cybernetic enhancements, weapon modifications, special weapons, missions, and more.”

10tons plan to launch Jydge this autumn. First, they’re trying to get through Steam Greenlight. 10tons are also working on slo-mo kill-chaining shooter Time Recoil. They are making some exciting-looking video games.

Drib says:

Jydge Drudd. But really, it looks okay.

But damn am I getting tired of roguelikes lately. I remember back when it was a rare treat, but now every game is random genned nonsense with ‘roguelike’ stapled on.

I want more tailored, well crafted story modes.

Ericusson says:

I went from your state to acceptance of the roguelike mania you cannot change some too many months ago.

But with stuff like Dead Cells or Everspace, why not these days, why not. At least some people dared to be generous in their game in the genre declinations they proposed.
      And we had quite some many story driven good titles like Hollow knights and Salt and Sanctuary etc.

About Neon Chrome and now this new title, I wish they learn to enrich their polygon counts really, as my main gripe with Neon Chrome is the borderline graphics when you play it.

2. blainestereo says:

I say take it one step further, 10ton!

“Yidge Dreddel”

3. wwarnick says:

In the title of the article, Jydge is spelled “Jygde”.

4. chuckieegg says:

Jydges
    Dynamite
    Ryckets
    Rypid Plasma

No,no,no and no.

5. RutigerP says:

In the future noodles are biscuits and I can’t even

6. Hoot says:

The real question is whether it will be good enough to make me change my daily Let’s Play (link to youtube.com) from Enter the Gungeon to this.

After watching the trailer I’m genuinely excited to have a bash.

7. keefybabe says:

If it’s the closest I can get to a modern Dredd game I’ll take it. I loved Neon Chrome so all good.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you say “jydge” out loud you’ll sound like Michael Cain.

9. April March says:

I’ll keep an eye out for this one. I liked Neon Chrome, and I like the cut of its jyb.

10. Voxavs says:

There’s already a cool Judge Dredd-y game called “MiniLaw”.

11. Saarlaender39 says:

I won’t take an y for an u.

12. TheAntsAreBack says:

So this game is basically pronounced “Jidge” which is stupid and meaningless and straight away makes me feel slightly annoyed at the devs, and less likely to buy it.

Comment on this story