Star Trek: Bridge Crew drops out of hyperspace

Virtual reality Kessel Run ’em up Star Trek: Bridge Crew [official site] has dropped out of hyperspace and into cybergoggles. It lets players pop on their goggs to serve as crew aboard an Empire starship, each taking control of one specific bridge station and hopefully not totally botching it. It’s a bit like Artemis but less serious or Spaceteam but less silly. You can also play on your lonesome with AI crewmates, if you’d like. Star Trek: Bridge Crew is out now for Rift and Vive cybergoggles.

So there you are, in space, taking orders from a captain (or playing as the captain) and hoping you don’t all explode. Press that button! Toggle that doodad! Do the thingy! Turn us around! Here, you can see how this works in Eurogamer’s videos from a recent preview event where our Pip played with some of our spacepals:

Along with a scripted story campaign about helping our Vulcan chums, Bridge Crew has an ‘Ongoing Missions’ mode that’ll keep popping out procedurally-generated shenanigans. The story stars a new spaceship, the USS Aegis, while Ongoing Missions has the option to fly ye olde USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek: A New Hope.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is £39.99/49,99€/$49.99 on Steam and the Ubi store. It’s made by Red Storm Entertainment and published by their spacedads at Ubisoft.

May the thirtieth be with you.

AutonomyLost says:

For any interested in potentially purchasing this game, check out ACG’s review of it on YouTube. Fantastic. I have zero plans to play the game, but still watched the review strictly because any video he does is nearly always enjoyable. And honest.

2. Neurotic says:

It’s what I’ve dreamed of for most of my life, but will most likely never get to play it.

• Vandelay says:

Quite. I saw the Eurogamer vids a couple of weeks ago and it genuinely made me more eager to get a VR headset than anything else I had seen.

But, to play this game you would need to have another three incredibly geeky friends, all who have VR headsets on the same platform and able to dedicate the time.

So, right back to waiting until big price drops or a second version that improves all the niggles of the current gen.

• TheGreatBaldOne says:

No, it doesn’t need to be on the same platform.
        It’s cross platform play, you can play with anyone on Vive, Rift or PSVR.

• utzel says:

Currently crossplay only works for public games, so you can play with anyone on the 3 platforms.
          What doesn’t work currently is inviting a specific friend on steam when using the oculus or on oculus when playing on steam. Hopefully they fix this soon…

I heard it works if you have a third friend on PSVR who can invite both the steam and oculus user…

• NeoArmageddon says:

For reference and updates about this issue: link to forums.ubi.com

But the problem pretty much ruined my tuesday evening. I bought the game for steam any my only friend (that has VR) bought it on Occulus and thus we can’t play.

• Sakkura says:

The issue has been fixed now. :)

• Vandelay says:

I stand corrected, as I saw in the ACG video someone linked to.

Just the 3 other reasons why I (and I’m sure many others) won’t be getting this then.

Pity. Sounds like it might actually be a killer app for VR.

• Zhiroc says:

Same here. I very much doubt I would ever seriously consider a VR headset until it’s at least under $200, and that’s a stretch. More like $100-150, actually.

Plus, I’m pretty sure I’d get motion-sickness from playing VR, so not even sure then.

• Mctittles says:

You won’t get motion sickness from this game or most of the available vr titles.

The motion sickness people refer to usually comes from artificial movement in games. For instance if you ride a roller coaster in vr. It looks like you are moving but your vestibular system says no you are just sitting still. Most people eventually get used to it though.

Games like this where movement you see is only movement you are doing won’t give you sickness. Unless it has some bad framerate like google cardboard.

3. JKing says:

So much baiting. Oh, Alice…

4. LexW1 says:

Seriously, that article title is brutal, just brutal. Every Trekkie bone in my body urges me to “correct” it, but I must resist!

5. Morcane says:

Quite probably the most fun I’ve had in a multiplayer game ever.

However, the shits and giggles groups do get a bit tiring after a while, if you’re after a group of people that simply wants to teamwork and breeze some missions. I’m the only one in my gaming group that has a VR headset, so I’m condemned to finding matches with randos.

6. Someoldguy says:

Oh dear, video clips. Can someone at RPS please tell us Wot They Think in writing, please?

7. Sakkura says:

You can save 20% with the ubisoft club points thing.

8. April March says:

I’m not sure that game has the… er… gravitas I associate with Star Trek.

Also, is Eurogamer a race of giants, or is Pip just really tiny?

goodpoints says:

Ah yes that game with stiffer animations than the 15 year old Bridge Commander.

thx lavar
    thx ubi

10. TorQueMoD says:

Alice, you’re a troll of the worst kind when it comes to mashing Star Trek and Star Wars together… I love it! :)

11. Thirdrail says:

I guess between this and Horizon Zero Dawn, I finally need ps4. I suspected it would happen eventually.

Comment on this story