Have You Played… Retrovirus?

Have You Played? is an endless stream of game retrospectives and PC miscellany. One a day, every day, perhaps for all time.

There was a little resurgence of six-axis shooters a while back, seemingly all Kickstarter-funded, and no one seemed much to care. Which is a shame, because the process produced the very lovely Retrovirus [official site].

It’s so colourful!

I know that seems like a silly thing to focus on, but gosh, games aren’t colourful are they? This one is.

Also, you get to float around inside a weirdly realised computer tummy, shooting viruses and the like.

It was a weird evolution, originally appearing and being not very good, then some months went past and it reappeared as actually rather fun. All bad games should do that. That’s a new rule.

1. kalirion says:

Ah, I tried playing that after getting it in a bundle, but my laptop’s Intel 4100MHD couldn’t handle it even at an itty bitty teeny weeny resolutiony. I really should give it a shot with my current, though about as old, Radeon 4850HD…

2. nimbulan says:

I really wanted to enjoy this game. It had a great concept, but there were some really annoying bugs and the game is just so horrendously balanced. Maybe 1/4 of the way into the game I started running into rooms with enough enemies that I literally could not clear them, because they will continually re-infect enemies you’ve already “cleaned” at the same rate as you can do so. Unfortunately it didn’t sell well enough for Cadenza to ever fix any of that. Judging by the state of their website and social media accounts, it might’ve been enough to shutter them completely.

particlese says:

I still want to play it, but it’s been shmooshed under the weight of The Queue. Or rather by the crushing mass of the games queued up behind it. Every once in a while, something previously forgotten escapes the gravity well…

4. Marclev says:

Can someone help me understand the term “six axis shooter”?

In 3D space there are only three axis (lateral, vertical, and longitudinal).

And however cool a 6 dimensional game would be (err …I think), these types of games take place in 3d space, right?

• Roager says:

“Axis” really isn’t the right term, but basically it refers to 6 “types” of movement, more properly “6 degrees of freedom.” Movement along X, Y and Z axes, and Rotation around X, Y, and Z axes. So 6-axis or 6DoF games allow the player (typically in a flying ship of some kind) to control all those motions.

(Movement + Rotation) * 3 dimensional axes = 6 motions

Compare that to a top-down shooter, which has (Unless I’m missing something) 3 degrees of freedom: Movement along the X/Y plane, and rotation around a player-aligned Z.

link to en.wikipedia.org

Ben King says:

I was really looking forward to what Rust LTD would produce after the beautiful Remnants Tech demo Alice pointed out a few years back. I soaked up several hours floating around that subterranean space, but Anton Hand looks to be devoting his time to creating a kinda cool looking elaborate FPS gun handling system for VR. If I had a couple thousand spare dollars and an extra room I would love to sit in one of his virtual gun ranges and light matches all day… But I would also love to visit with his eerie robits too.

6. malkav11 says:

A lot of those seemed to be focused on multiplayer, which was never why I played Descent back in the day, and which I think was unlikely to ever make much of a splash unless someone like Blizzard made it.

Comment on this story