Bastion devs lighting Pyre on July 25th

Supergiant Games, the makers of Bastion and Transistor, have announced they’ll launch Pyre [official site] on July 25th. Their next game is a party-based RPG adventuring through purgatory in an ancient competition to escape. Ooh the colours of that place! I don’t know why you’d want to leave somewhere so pretty but the journey involves a lot of three-on-three battles to extinguish the enemy’s pyre while defending yours. Hence the name of the game. Here, you can see a bit of how combat works in this trailer from December:

Along with a singleplayer campaign, Pyre will have a versus mode to fight other people or AI bots.

Supergiant explain more of the game in yesterday’s announcement. Here’s a neat detail: no game-overs.

“We wanted to make a game that had plenty of challenge and exciting action, but where the fear and frustration of getting stuck was not a factor. Picking yourself up after being defeated could be part of the journey, rather than something that took place in your head while looking at a Game Over screen. So, one of the unique aspects of Pyre is how you are never forced to lose progress. Whether you prevail or fail, your journey continues. The interactive narrative is expressed through a story that should feel personal to you, and that no two players will experience in quite the same way.”

Fail interestingly.

Pyre is coming to Steam on July 25th, priced at £14.99/19,99€/$19.99.

1. davethejuggler says:

In a world where roguelikelitelikes wait around every corner that is incredibly refreshing to hear. Never got on with Transistor but Bastion was so good that i’m eager to try out this next offering.

• exile2k4 says:

I found Transistor hard to get on with at first, but after persisting with it I ended up really enjoying it. If you’ve given it a bit of time and don’t like it then fair enough, but if not I’d say it’s worth a second look.

• Nevard says:

I liked Transistor but felt like it really dropped off at the end. It really felt like there was meant to be an additional chapter that was dropped due to time constraints, and the part that to me felt like a rushed conclusion of some of the plot threads left me sort of unsatisfied after the credits.
        I liked Bastion more.

• Rainshine says:

Standing up for dissent. I played both Bastion and Transistor through, and enjoyed Transistor loads more. To be fair, though, that was the gameplay. Turn-based over frantic clicking and trying to aim any day. The music and art for both were superb, and while Bastion was far harder for me to sink into and push through, I ultimately feel it was worth my time. As long as this isn’t too heavy on the co-op, I’ll be keeping my eye for it.

2. ZippyLemon says:

link to supergiantgames.com

12 devs, killing it. Long may they game.

iris79 says:

I adore supergiant, their games are so distinctive. RPGs are my favourite so getting one from one of my favourite devs is just candy. Plus getting to roleplay in a non tolkein or sci fi world is always a treat. Nothing really to say! Just wanted to put my hand up as really really excited. Hasn’t purgatory been so good as a setting for centuries? Good work shadowy early christians

4. draglikepull says:

I wish more games would experiment with fail states beyond just “reset to checkpoint”. It’s a relic from back when arcade games had to get quarters out of players, and more games should have moved beyond that point by now.

5. Emeraude says:

I really respect their work so far, but can’t find it in me to like it.

Still, anything new they release is definitely worth a check.

6. SaunteringLion says:

I haven’t played Bastion, yet, but my love of all things cyberpunk and its aesthetic drew me to Transistor (played it on the PS4) and I deeply loved it. The soundtrack is intensely amazing. I appreciated, rather turned off by, the opaqueness of the story. I love me a good turn-based combat system (although a mite too easy). The design was super cool.

Underrated, IMO.