Rain World and Glittermitten Grove on sale for $cheap

Here’s some cheapo games because you like cheapo things and you’re a cheapo person. Don’t give me that look, I’m just being honest. The same folks that do this sort of thing all the time are Humbling Bundling survival platformer Rain World together with Glittermitten Grove, which is a fairy management sim and definitely not hiding any other amphibious videogames inside its slimy belly sac, if that’s what you’re thinking. This is all part of the Adult Swim bundle, which includes some other bits and bobs.

You’ll need to pay $12 or more for this pair of games but the extra fluff you get includes Western-themed revenge quest Westerado, filthy Metroidvania Headlander, and bizarro VHS puzzler Small Radios, Big Television, among others. All of which various staff here have deemed Not Bad.

Rain World and Glittermitten Grove are the headliners though. I have my reservations when it comes to the slugcat – it’s overly-punishing and features a slightly-too-weighty protagonist – but I also know from exploring that world that there’s tons to love (the terrifying beasts, for example) and lots to discover. For $12 bucks? Get munching, I say. As far as the fairies of Glittermitten Grove are concerned, I just don’t know what to make of them. But Alec has given it a thorough review.

You can find the bundle here. Adult Swim also pooped out sticky multiplayer lizzzard-em-up Gecko Ridimption earlier this week. It’s free, for those of you even more cheapo than I’d originally accused.

1. MiniMatt says:

…because you like cheapo things and you’re a cheapo person. Don’t give me that look, I’m just being honest.

He’s right you know.

• Dezmiatu says:

Yeah . . . I’m everything wrong with the industry. Not pirate everything bad, but no Indie developer can earn a living wage for their hard work from me.

2. TechnicalBen says:

Whait wat.?! You can get BOTH Frog Fractions 2 and Glitter Mitten Grove?

• TechnicalBen says:

PS, the GUI/site to Humble has changed a lot since I last used it… so I forgot/missed changing the sliders to what I prefer/find comfortable. :/

• phlogistic says:

Frog Fractions 2 shows up in the list of purchases, but if you try to get a key it just tells you it’s inside one of the other games.

• TechnicalBen says:

Aaaahhh… I was hoping they went even more meta than that. :(

3. Chunkylord says:

No love for Duck Game? Definitely one of the best couch games ever. Up there with Samurai Gunn, Hidden in plain sight and Wand wars.

• phlogistic says:

I was about to say the same thing. Duck Game is easily my favorite multiplayer game released in the last few years.

• Shinard says:

Ah right? Might have to pay over the average then. Good couch games seem to be in short supply, and you can only play so many rounds of Towerfall (granted, that number is high. But still).

• Agnosticus says:

Short? SHORT?!

Broforce, Crawl, Samurai Gunn, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Magicka, Tricky Towers, Speedrunners, Gurgamoth, Flat Heroes, Lethal League, Gang Beasts, Nidhogg, Rocket League….all great or at least good in their own right.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Thank you for this list, I have been seeking such things. Also, Rocket League does split-screen multiplayer? How did I manage to miss that?

• Agnosticus says:

No problem. I can go on if you want: Rivals of the Aether, Move or Die, Action Henk, Disc Jam, Kopanito All-Stars Soccer, Spelunky, Starwhal, Super Slam Dunk Touchdown, Push Me Pull You, Overcooked, … all very much worth your time!

• Agnosticus says:

And don’t forget the “recent” Charlie Murder + The Dishwasher

• Agnosticus says:

I was wondering the same thing! It probably IS the best couch versus game (maybe only Crawl comes close). Anyway, I got me a plushie! :)

• The First Door says:

Duck Game is amazing! Any game with a dedicated ‘quack’ button is off to a good start, to be honest. Also, apparently it’ll be getting a ‘big’ update in the next month or two with new levels and weapons and whatnots, which should be fun. I’m severely tempted by that duck plushie too…

• welverin says:

How does the Quack button measure up to the Hug button (A Boy and His Blob)?

4. cheesyboy says:

Volgarr’s in there too, in the ‘pay what you want’ section.

It’s probably my favourite game I’ve played in the last 10 years. Really tough, but fair, classic-styled platformer. Loved it.

• anon459 says:

Volgarr feels like a true modern classic. The amount of polish on the mechanics and the level of skill that went into the level design is amazing and makes the game feel just perfect. The graphics, while seemingly not mind-blowing from a technical perspective, perfectly suit the atmosphere the gameplay creates and make the game feel like a real adventure.

Volgarr’s an example of how a mastery of the basics of game design can result in a game that feels flawless despite not looking super flashy in a screenshot or even a video. You just have to feel it in your hands to understand. It takes me back to the quality one could find in platformers on the NES and SNES. Quality you don’t see anymore, IMO.

5. bonuswavepilot says:

I had not seen one of these partner-links to humble before… Note that if you don’t mess with the sliders, RPS and the Humble store get 15% each, the charity gets 10% and the publishers get the remaining 60%. This is all adjustable in the usual fashion if you expand the ‘Choose where your money goes’ option.

• ButteringSundays says:

I didn’t even know that kind of affiliate link was possible – it’s a nice way to handle it (although they do seem to have made the distribution selection less obvious).

Note to RPS staff – I tend to buy Humble Bundles pretty fast – post these links quick and I’ll be happy to use them! I’m sure I’m not the only one.

• Beefenstein says:

I used the link and gave RPS the entire GNP of Bolivia in the form of unprocessed coca leaves.