Google’s cute cricket game marks ICC Champions Trophy

So cute!

EEEEE! The Google Doodle celebrating the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy [link] is such an adorable little cricket game! You control a pair of little crickets who have ventured out to bat while the fielders are all snails!

The game itself is very simple – you click to swing the bat and everything else is automated. You’re trying to avoid getting bowled out while you rack up runs. Sometimes the bowled ball takes an unexpected route simulating spin or whatnot which keeps you on your toes and I love the balloons which appear when you score runs!

It’s very much in the online Flash game vein of things so repetitive and simple but engaging. Also I love the crickets as they run! Over coffee I scored 63 and I feel like I could easily better that but apparently I have “work” to do. I might play one more game just to fact check this article.

In case you are not into cricket, the ICC Champions Trophy is a One Day International tournament running from today (1 June) until 18 June at various venues in England and Wales. The first group stage match is England v Bangladesh at The Oval today but the fixtures can be found here. It has been a long time since I watched any cricket so I’m doing that thing of looking at rosters and realising that the names I know have aged into coaching positions. NO. MUST HIT BALLS AS A TINY ADORABLE CRICKET AND IGNORE THE INEVITABLE PASSAGE OF TIME.

The mole of death comes for us all.

From this site

1. aircool says:

Has there ever actually been a decent cricket game? Brian Lara was ok, but as far as I’m aware, there hasn’t been any cricket game (except manager type games) for a long while.

If you’re not into cricket, I suggest you still have it showing in your second monitor, as there’s nothing quite so relaxing as having the cricket commentary in the background on a sunny day.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Don Bradman Cricket 2014 is pretty decent, more so than later iterations. Requires a controller, though, you can’t even navigate the menus without one!

• Shiloh says:

I’ve often wondered how the complexities of cricket can be translated to a PC game. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Cricket Captain 2016 as much as the next man, but it’s much more a TV-style experience than it is a representation of actually playing the game with ball (or bat) in hand.

Anyway, England have put Bangladesh in to bat, it’s a beautiful day at the Oval, TMS is on the radio, all is well with the world.

phuzz says:

Wasn’t Brian Lara Cricket an update of an older game?
      Ah yes, wikipedia confirms my flagging memory, before Mr Lara there was Graham Gooch World Class Cricket. Ah yes, I seem to remember playing the demo (from a disk on the front of a magazine, as was the custom back then), but my mate had the full version for his A500.
      I don’t remember being any good at it.

Addie says:

Me and my brother used to spend long hours playing Super International Cricket on the SNES, so it’s certainly not impossible to create a decent arcade cricket game. That came out in 1994 though, so it could have voted in the last general election.

• aircool says:

Controller is fine. Sports games just feel better with a controller, except maybe golf.

• simontifik says:

I played a lot of EA Cricket 96 on PC. I got it free in a box of cereal in around 1998.

• iucounu says:

No. Well, you can do an arcade game pretty well, but it doesn’t really produce scores or experiences which are much like cricket (it’s the difference between Mario Kart and Formula One, really.) Or you can do a dry kind of management sim like International Cricket Captain which produces realistic games of cricket, but with your interaction limited to stuff like sliders controlling how aggressive your batsmen are and how pitched-up your bowling is.

I think the best way to go with Cricket would be a deck-building card game, really.

• Quimby says:

Brian Lara 96 was played extensively in my shared house at Uni. Reunions often descend in a bit of a replay. With the old chipped Xbox on it’s last legs I suspect those times are coming to an end. Thankfully – because watching two people play it is utterly soul-destroying especially when you get the theme tune stuck in your head…

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

89 with two fours and a six!

3. podbaydoors says:

177 with 9 sixes, 6 fours, and a whole lot of cheeky threes. Even managed to get a couple of runs to the off side.

4. Robert The Rebuilder says:

How does a “One Day” tournament last 18 days?

• Ghostwise says:

Play for only 1.3 hours every day ?

• Shiloh says:

The ICC have changed the rules this year – they’ve introduced a maximum over rate of 1.5 overs per hour, so teams have to bowl ve-e-e-e-ry slowly.

It’s a bit controversial – not everyone is convinced it’s going to improve the spectator experience.

• davethejuggler says:

Not sure if sarcastic but just in case, One Day is the format for each game, not the tournament. It’s 50 overs per side and lasts roughly half a day to a full day depending.

5. RaunakS says:

Oh man the bowler snail is (appropriately enough) slow as butts. I should have been run out so many times!

Also, the poor guy at non-strikers isn’t getting any runs. Such an unfair universe.

• aircool says:

Yeah, would have been run out a lot, but the bowler doesn’t seem to care.

Bastard slow ball followed by a fast ball denied me my century.

6. aircool says:

Last effort, 276. Wish there was a real cricket game now :(

7. April March says:

Posting about a Gooogle Doodle is such a classic RPS move. Between this, the new podcast episode, and RedViv making a few posts, I feel like I’m in a weird alternate version of RPS which is still doing the things it did five years ago but it’s Pip doing them. I fully endorse this state of affairs.

Comment on this story