Obsidian’s Pathfinder card game coming to PC

Obsidian Entertainment, the makers of Alpha Protocol and Pillars of Eternity, have announced they’re bringing Pathfinder Adventures [official site] to PC on June 15th. Pathfinder Adventures is a card-driven RPG they released for pocket telephones in 2016, which is an adaptation of the physical Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, which is itself based on the Pathfinder pen & paper RPG. In short: Pathfinder Adventures has cards and dice and you get to fight goblins. Paths are being found all over these days, as both an MMO and a singleplayer RPG are in development too.

Pathfinder Adventures is a deck-building RPG, with gear and spells on whatnot being cards you build into a deck. Then off you trot out on adventures, rolling a few dice on the way. For a more technical look at it all, here, this vid shows Obsidian folks playing through the tutorial of the pocket telephone version:

“I’ve always loved the way Pathfinder Adventure has brought what I enjoy in tabletop RPGs to card games, and I am very proud of how we have captured the depth of the game, while adding in options to expand upon the experience for both newcomers and lovers of the tabletop game alike,” Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart said in yesterday’s announcement.

Hey you, pocketeers, is it any good?

Pathfinder Adventures is coming to Windows and mac via Steam, GOG, and the Mackenzie store on June 15th.

1. Faldrath says:

Played the hell out of this on mobile, even paid full price to unlock the whole thing (first time I ever paid more than $10 on a mobile game).

It’s an amazing game, very very clever. I just hope they release new things soon, the mobile version is getting a bit old and it has been a while since it was updated.

(yes, I’ll buy this for PC too!)

• Eight Rooks says:

The mobile version – and presumably the PC version when it arrives? – is due a bunch of goblin-themed content. “As announced during PaizoCon 2017, Pathfinder Adventures is getting 5 new scenarios inspired by We Be Goblins/Season of the Goblins, 2 new playable characters Ranzal and Poog, new asymmetrical goblin dice, and more”, according to TouchArcade’s news post.

• malkav11 says:

You shouldn’t have to rebuy anything. The plan was to have purchases carry over between platforms. And if they don’t I’m going to be very miffed because PC is and always has been where I wanted to play the game and I only bought in on iOS to hold me over until then, with the assurance that it would transfer.

2. Eight Rooks says:

It is good! Arguably kind of simplistic, though. A lot of it does seem to come down to how many bonus dice you can stock up on for your combat rolls. If Warhammer Quest didn’t meet a warm welcome on Steam then I suspect this is also going to get more than a few disgruntled reviews (it’s a mobile port ergo it should be $1, it’s not as complicated as Dwarf Fortress ergo it’s not worthy to be on PC, it’s too dependent on luck etc., etc.). But I enjoyed what I played of it on iPad.

3. Diziet Sma says:

Oh excellent news. I own the complete set of cards for the first release of PACG, and just last Christmas bought my nephews the newest one to play. Most of my play is solo, and it’s up there with some of the most satisfying solo games, .e.g Mage Knight, Shadowrun Crossfire. Due to the nature of the game some of the stories that emerge from the gameplay itself make little sense and other solo playable card games do a better job. Warhammer Quest and Arkham Horror I believe do, though I’ve not played them; but have heard many good reports from a lot of friends who do own them. Mostly in my circle of weekly netrunner.

It’s a lot of fun, not as brutal as Shadowrun, and far far quicker than Mage Knight. I once owned the kitchen table in the house for about 5 days with one solo game of Mage Knight playing in the evenings after work.

If this is a port of the iPad version it should be pretty good.

I’d currently say, waiting on Gloom of Kilforth, that mechanically Mistfall is my favourite solo card game, then Shadowrun (except I find it bastard hard), then PACG. However PACG is the one I play the most, by far. I’d love to play Mistfall more than solo though.

• Diziet Sma says:

I’d also like to give a quick shout out to Robert Florence for his review of Netrunner and another more casual article on here that mentioned playing it socially which I can’t seem to google. As it encouraged me to buy a set, and get out there and socialise when I really wasn’t doing much of the sort. It’s a fantastic game and one of the few things that I commit to every week. Thank you RPS for covering stuff like this; my wallet on the other hand…. ;-)

4. Wahooka says:

It is a good time killer, however, it is also a vicious battery killer. Avoid playing it on phones (~2300mAH-2500mAh) if you plan on going on for more than 10-15 minutes.

That being said the game itself is a mix of collectible card game with some character development options and dice rolling.

The object of the game is to beat a set of random (quest mode) or specific conditions (campaign).

The game plays by having your character(s) draw cards from an encounter deck and resolving them.

You earn experience and gold by playing that can be used to improve your character and buy “booster packs” to enrich your deck.

It’s free to play so you can always give it a go. Real money can be used to speed things up by buying gold and unlocking characters but it is not necessary.

• Legion1183 says:

Well that sucks… I was hoping I could maybe find a decent card game that wouldn’t drain my phone’s battery or make it too hot to hold! As much as I enjoy playing Hearthstone on my phone I have to make sure I’m near a charging port at all times.

I’ll still give Pathfinder a go though as it looks pretty interesting and I’ve read good things about it so far.

• Henas says:

Try Lost Portal. Single player CCG game in the vein of MtG. Or Ascension.

5. skyst says:

I’m just here to pile on with saying that this is a really fun and well-made mobile game. Definitely worth the buy for mobile or PC if you’re into this kind of game!

6. chuckman006 says:

With a little bit of focus on its RPG origins this one doesn’t look quite as pointless as the MtG, Elder Scrolls Legends, hearthfire, or other 85 digital card games out there.

• malkav11 says:

It’s not a collectible card game, although I think you can get random rewards through the freemium currency if you really want. It’s an adaptation of a Pathfinder Adventure Path preconstructed adventure series to a cooperative card-and-dice format with deckbuilding and whatnot. Every scenario you do rewards something specific (or a random card of a type, depending) and as you complete a full Adventure worth of scenarios, another set of cards unlocks to be encountered through play.

7. Someoldguy says:

It’s a well structured card strategy game, but as a Pathfinder/RPG fan it left me cold. A better use of the Pathfinder name than Pathfinder Online, but still a disappointment.

8. MikoSquiz says:

I’ve played the physical card game. It’s kind of a dull, monotonous grind; one of those board/card games whose existence is only justified as an excuse for hanging out with friends. This doesn’t bode well for a PC port.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That top image is such a coleslaw of images I kept scrolling past this article because I thought it was a Flare Path.