Need For Speed Payback will be fast, potentially furious

If I were in charge of a big car game, I’d be taking a long hard look at the Fast and Furious series and wondering if I could incorporate some kind of automotive heists or “IT’S ABOUT FAMILY” muscular soap opera into the equation. Turns out I might be on the same page as EA: Need for Speed Payback, coming November 10th this year, sounds like it’ll be a big, daft tale of revenge. Set in “the underworld of Fortune Valley”, it sees three playable characters taking on The Man The House and there will be heists, “high stakes car battles” and “epic cop pursuits”.

The Fast and the Furious started off as Point Break with cars, then it all went a bit dull for a while, and somewhere along the line it embraced silliness and became The Avengers. But with cars. Always with cars. Imagine superheroes and criminals who find it difficult to do anything without being in a vehicle. They’d drive muscle cars down the aisles of Tesco to do their weekly shop, attend university lectures in tanks, and you’d better believe if they had to queue to renew their driving license, they’d show up at the office in a monster truck and pull up to the window revving the engine.

If Payback is anything like that, it’ll be OK by me.

Set in the underworld of Fortune Valley, players will drive as three distinct characters reunited by a quest for vengeance against The House, a nefarious cartel that rules the city’s casinos, criminals and cops. They will take on a variety of challenges and events as Tyler, the Racer; Mac, the Showman; and Jess, the Wheelman to earn the respect of the underground. Featuring the deepest customization from the series, players can truly craft a personalized and unique ride, or spend hours finding and tuning an abandoned derelict into a supercar. They can then push their cars to the limit and raise the stakes by betting on their own performance, where they can either multiply their winnings or risk losing it all.

I’ll admit to some disappointment that the characters aren’t actually called Tyler Racer, Mac Showman and Jess Wheelman, but I suppose we can’t have everything just how we’d like it to be.

Along with the actual announcement, there are pre-order bits and pieces, including three days of early access playtime for people who buy the Deluxe Edition. The pre-order bonus sounds like it’ll be the vehicular equivalent of those pre-orders that give you a really powerful gun early in the game and break the balance.

For players that pre-order the game, they will receive the Need for Speed Payback Platinum Car Pack and get instant access to five uniquely customized and tuned iconic cars at launch, each with exclusive Platinum Blue Tire Smoke. The Car Pack includes:

Nissan 350Z 2008
Chevrolet Camaro SS 1967
Dodge Charger R/T 1969
Ford F-150 Raptor 2016
Volkswagen Golf GTI Clubsport 2016

For drivers who want to get the extra edge over the competition, the Need for Speed Payback Deluxe Edition gives players up to three days of early access to the full game, along with exclusive customization items such as the Deluxe Edition license plate and NOS color, in-game discounts, Rep bonuses, everything the Platinum Car Pack has to offer, and more.

Ghost Games, creators of the 2015 reboot of the series, are the studio behind development.

1. gwop_the_derailer says:

“The Fast and the Furious started off as Point Break with cars, then it all went a bit dull for a while…”

I will not hear any unkind word against the cultural landmark that is 2 Fast 2 Furious.

• The First Door says:

Well, I’d agree it was a landmark, but Id say it was more one of those landmarks we need to warn people about with lighthouses and such.

In all seriousness, the newer Fast and/or Furiouses are really good fun, especially when they embracing the silliness. Statham in a particular highlight for me, to be honest, as he clearly doesn’t give a toss these days.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Whatever your views of that movie, you will have to agree that other movies would do well emulating its fist fight.

2. haldolium says:

Guess it won’t have the same amount of booty as Car Wars.

3. brulleks says:

Sounds exactly what I don’t want from an NFS game. It’s a racing game. A racing game does not need a story. The racing should create the stories.

• Mecha_Rocky says:

Agreed. Every time a new NFS title is announced, my heart flutters for the yesteryear of NFS 1 and Porsche Unleashed (ya know, driving fancy cars in cool locations), but once I heard “…we were a crew….”. Nope.

To be fair they aren’t really targeting my age group anymore, which statistically can afford said fancy cars anyways.

4. dontnormally says:

But will it be Underground 3, the game we’ve all been waiting for?

5. Marclev says:

Can’t someone just remake the original Need for Speed? You know, the one about racing expensive cars along different parts of real-world-like scenery?

That was it, and it was great.

phuzz says:

along the line it embraced silliness and became The Avengers

What, with Steed and Mrs Peel?

7. MikoSquiz says:

I loved the Need For Speed Undergrounds – just the light balance of fun, arcadey racing in achingly idealized and fantastical night-time cityscapes to car trading, customization, decoration, and general futzing to tickle me everywhere all at once.

Then they started really going hard on the Fast & Furious garbage nonsense, all stubbled bros giving each other smoldering looks while yelping outdated slang at each other. The series went into a rapid downhill slide, eventually careening into a violent explosive collision with police chase missions and EMP blast abilities, ending in an ugly dense cloud of acrid black smoke and little bits of metal shrapnel pinging off the pavement half a mile away.

8. frozbite says:

Spent countless hours of playing NFS 3 and 4 split screen with buddy. Porsche had a real nice, hard career missions… then udergound came… My PC wasn’t good enought to run it, so i get my hands on it when times passed, but it still was a decent game.
    But once upon a time I faced Pro Street. I havent progressed far in it, but IMO, it’s the best NFS game. It showed up just in time when ppl was sick of night-time races, when yesterday street racers become today track racers, and was ahead of its time. NFS Pro Street is a Gem. One of the best racing games with nice atomsphere and… GOD! Its asphalt textures was something!

9. indigochill says:

I actually dig the “Need for Fury” approach, but the original Most Wanted was my favorite game in the series by far. I sort of thought they’d split the series into parallel sub-franchises, with one taking the “fun dumb/tacky street racing story” thing and the other taking the “nice cars in nice locations” thing.

• nearly says:

They have tried to split the franchise in the past but it’s probably difficult to do without cannibalizing their own sales. It may just be a matter of them not feeling that there’s enough value in having a couple different titles.

For example, the Shift titles that focused on being a more hardcore sim slipped in between the years they were doing Undercover, Hot Pursuit, and The Run.

It would be easy enough to just release the same game every few years with some visual enhancements, so it’s always interesting to see that this is the one genre where people are opposed to them constantly trying to re-invent the wheel in small ways and make games that are actually different. There’s no shortage of racing games, so it’s weird to see people complain that this one’s trying to be anything but a stripped down fancy car in real-places racer.

10. bit.bat says:

Do you think that the Fast & Furious movies and Avengers embrace the silliness? The reason why I find both series unbearable is because I feel that they take themselves way too seriously but I get that its a personal thing. That being said even the action parts in both seem so artificial in my opinion, I guess that they are just not made for me!