What are we all playing this weekend?

An illustration from 'When Life is Young: a collection of verse for boys and girls'.

We’re in that weird pre-E3 phase where video game news can gush forth in mighty torrents then cease just as suddenly. It’s an unnerving time to be a cybercowboy on the wild frontier. Are the horses just restless or do they feel the rumble of news? Given that E3 unofficially starts earlier every year, perhaps it’ll be in full swing by the time I finish this sentence.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m playing Endless Space 2 and probably nothing but Endless Space 2, even though Dead Cells, Friday the 13th and Caveblazers call to me. I’m currently trying to decide whether I go full weird with the space vampires, the Vodyani, or stick with the more conventional Imperial sorts.
Alec: [Where Alec goes, only the wind knows.]
Alice: I had thought about hopping on a sleeper train and heading to Feral Vector but, on reflection, if I stay at home I can sleep forever. Then wake up and play Plunkbat.
Brendan: It’s Gwent for me. I’m stuck on one particular singleplayer challenge, with a horrible monster that spawns endless fog and has ludicrously powerful cards. All the other challenges have been simple, but this one is repeatedly slapping me down like I’m a pestering little brother. Maybe I’ll just give up and go back to my latest Viking run in Crusader Kings II. I’ve just killed my twin.
Graham: I’ll be playing Caveblazers for a bit and then Dead Cells. Maybe persevere with Flinthook for a bit and then Dead Cells. I’ll probably keep going with my first Endless Space 2 campaign, when not playing Dead Cells. Or maybe I’ll just play Dead Cells. All games bow before it, it turns out.
John: After some rubbish news, my little family has decided to stuff some socks into a suitcase and run away for the weekend. There will be castles! There will be steam trains! There will be seaside! There will not, other than on my phone, be games.
Philippa: This weekend I will be at the UK Games Expo playing cardboard things instead of digital. I usually find a bunch of nice small games I’ve never heard of and I’m DETERMINED to hit the Bring and Buy sale earlier than normal so I can actually pick up some of the gems instead of seeing other people clutching them!

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Agnosticus says:

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam! Great stuff! Like RO2/RS in a vietnam setting with a bit more polish and asynchronicity. No season pass, no DLC, no “rich get richer” situation, unlockable cosmetics only, dedicated servers, unbeatable price, …

<3 Tripwire Int. + Antimatter Games <3

2. Konservenknilch says:

I finally picked up Pillars of Eternity in the recent GOG sale. Not really sure why I waited so long, probably a mix of not wanting to pay full price and hearing that it’s very combat focussed.

To my surprise, I’m having a blast with it. The world, characters, art style, everything. Even the combat just “clicks” with me. It probably helps that I started with all the patches. I do however, ignore all the backer characters, life is too short for that.

• napoleonic says:

My problem came when my Stronghold was casually obliterated by an unbeatable force of monsters several levels higher than me, despite me having built all the defensive walls I could afford.

3. richlamp says:

I bounced off Endless Space 2 pretty hard. Which shouldn’t be a total surprise because I couldn’t really get into Endless Legend all that much either, but did end up spending some time with it.

I just found myself without much to do in ES2, pressing End Turn a lot. Maybe that’s me being bad at the game, maybe it’s the game not communicating with me about what I should be doing. I ended up playing for just less than 2 hours and got a refund.

I decided to pick up Stellaris instead and have a go with that and ended up playing for almost 8 hours straight. I had a blast.

• godunow says:

Exactly what I fear – and so ES2 leaves my wishlist for now…

• Minglefingler says:

I have a weird relationship with strategy games, some click with me straight away (CKII, Stellaris, Gal Civ 3) , others take longer (EU IV, Endless Legend.) I had problems getting into Endless Space 2, my persistence has finally been rewarded though and I’m enjoying the game now. I’d say keep an open mind regarding revisiting it after some further development and a dlc or two. I’m glad I bought it now, a week ago I wasn’t.

• Chairman_Meow says:

I’ve found Amplitude to be like that. Their games are usually opaque for a good while, but once you get fully acquainted with them they grab hold and don’t let go easily. Unfortunately that point may not occur until 50+ hours in.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I wish they would release another game like Dungeons of the Endless. I don’t like my strategy grand.

• Zenicetus says:

ES2 is one of those strategy games that’s easier to enjoy if you can manage to role-play the factions. Most of Amplitude’s faction designs are strange enough that this isn’t easy on first exposure. So it can feel a bit like a spreadsheet game unless you dig into the factions and appreciate the quests, and the different play styles for each one.

If you don’t like it now, try it again later after some further polishing and a DLC or two.

• brucethemoose says:

Stellaris is a much better game than it used to be. Perhaps Endless Space will get that opportunity in the future.

Thirith says:

A heady mix of things: a quick test of Arma 3 with Task Force Radio, some Satellite Reign coop with friends, possibly some Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, and definitely some more Full Throttle (which I missed when it originally came out). Oh, and some Horizon Zero Dawn.

Don Reba says:

I’m too cheap to buy an Oculus, so I’ll have to go mountain climbing for real. ?

6. turth says:

Far Cry 2 and Hitman

Ninja Dodo says:

I’m playing Uncharted 4 on PS4… mainly to see what they did with the interactive animation (which is up there with The Last Guardian as best of 2016).

I’ve only ever played the second one in the series so I’ve never been super invested in the story or the characters. The quips are fun but it’s hard to reconcile shooting a thousand dudes with the affable everyman (not an original thought, I know, but it’s still true). As someone who cares about history, Drake’s idea of archeology by blowing shit up and breaking everything in sight just to get some loot is pretty grating. Even Lara Croft would be shocked by the lack of respect for ancient artifacts and architecture…

I do like some of the playful framing like the diving for cargo fakeout, the nerf gun combat practice and that whole scene with playing Crash Bandicoot on the couch.

The combat and stealth is pretty fun, and my favourite parts have always been the quiet moments when you get to just explore some stunningly realized ancient ruins or exotic landscape. The puzzles can be pretty neat but you get hit over the head with so many hints through diary, dialogue and visual signposting that there’s not much to do there (with a few exceptions). Same for navigation… when climbing especially the paths are so blindingly obvious that it’s a bit of a rote going from A to B thing. Can’t argue with the game’s set-pieces though, and to be fair they do have sections that are a bit more open for exploration.

Overall though it’s an enjoyable game and I really like what they are doing with the animation.

• Ben King says:

Hello there console friend, I have yet to play my copy of uncharted 4 which came bundled with the ps4, but have enjoyed the couple other Naughty Dog games I’ve played. They seem to do a really exceptional job with the animation and story telling. I’d agree with you regarding Last Guardian except the camera prevented me from getting to thoroughly enjoy most of that one’s plentiful and spectacular scenes of colossal destruction and clashes. Although Trico was undeniably great, I felt the player character’s in game animation and control left a lot to be desired for me.

I’m playing some Never Alone with my GF, it’s not exactly a ton of fun so far, but it’s really pretty, and has bunch of video interviews of researchers and story tellers bundled in between game levels which give context to a lot of the visual design, level structure and some mechanics. Also gonna keep plugging away at Witcher 3 and maybe do a bit of Transistor, or download Smile While as per Pip’s YouTube thingy.

Ninja Dodo says:

The camera in Last Guardian has problems for sure. I think the controls of the boy have an intentional looseness that suits the character – I don’t think there was anything wrong with his animation… just the right endearing kind of clumsiness – but there are a few instances (like when jumping towards ropes) where the aiming could have been more precise and the controls for climbing on top of Trico didn’t always work the way you intended (grabbing when you want to jump or drop, etc). It’s a shame, because otherwise it is a near *perfect* masterpiece that I think will be remembered long past other, less ambitious games. Trico is a stunning achievement, not just technically, but as a *living breathing character*. I love that griffin-cat.

Never Alone is a charming game. It’s not especially challenging as a puzzle platformer in itself but it’s a really engaging way to interactively transmit folklore and culture. The Foxtales DLC story is worth getting too.

• wackazoa says:

I played Uncharted 1 years ago, and like you being a history fan, I enjoyed the story and the set pieces. I just couldnt get past the shooting. To me, it was here is 2-4 minutes of exposition and 10 mins of shooting things and dieing. I wouldnt say Im good at games, but the shooting parts got frustrating to the point where I specifically didnt ever buy 2 or 3 on the PS3. I dont mind watching Indiana Jones for a bit of mindless entertainment, but I sure wasnt gonna play a knock off version that constantly frustrated me. Naughty Dog did make them very pretty however.

Me Im playing Final Fantasy 8. Never made it past the 1st disc back in the early 2000’s. Picked it up in a sale a bit back and now am giving it a go again. Perhaps this time it will be different.

• Flavorfish says:

The shooting is %100 my favorite part, to the degree that everything else (the story, puzzles,and climbing) feels tedious because of how much less engaging it is. imo it has the tightest 3rd person shooting of any game I’ve played and it’s a shame there isn’t more of it.

Uncharted 1 had the most tense and vulnerable firefights because the scarce ammo and aggressive AI. 2, 3, and 4 all ease up the difficulty and focus on delivering a sense of flow and upping the verticality. Don’t play them at too high a difficulty, Hard and especially Crushing mode disrupts the design of the gunplay and punishes the most engaging playstyles.

8. Vandelay says:

Went back to Watch Dogs 2 yesterday. I got it free with my gfx card and only played for a couple of hours originally, although I enjoyed what I saw. It has been a while since I’ve really played a GTA-like open world game, and this actually appeals far more than GTA5. It is also gorgeous to look at.

Far Cry 5 news also made me want to go back to evaluate the second game in the series. I’ve installed a couple of mods (a graphics one and a “realism” one that mainly seems to make combat more lethal,) and having a blast. There are a few bugs I’ve encountered (most annoying being the NPCs jittering about the place and repeating dialogue, not letting me proceed,) showing signs of a game that was trying to do a lot and not going overboard on polish, in contrast to later games. It also has moments that still look stunning. There was a sun rise that had me hammering the screen shot button.

• poliovaccine says:

Re: yr comment about Watch Dogs vs GTA5 – I feel like the tepid morbidity of Aiden Pearce kinda occluded the fact that Watch Dogs was the first GTAlike in, well, maybe ever, to give us not just a richly detailed model city, but also a primary mode of interacting with it that wasnt just plain *murder.* Even if it still mostly boiled down to theft and intrusion (and environmental destruction), that’s still more subtle and interesting than what we’d always got before. The WD games dont get enough credit for what they do well – I still lament how few non-killing interactions we tend to get in games. I admire what Bethesda and BioWare are both trying to do for conversation in games, but in the meantime, I’m happy to have the stealth!

Thirith says:

I thought that Watch Dogs 2 was underrated in general. For me it was as much of a jump from WD1 as Assassin’s Creed 2 was from AC1. I also think that the writing and characters get more of a bad rap than they deserve; IMO they’re a lot more self-aware than they’re given credit for. Sure, the game’s no Mr. Robot, and I do think the game suffers from the way lethal gameplay and shooting don’t really make much sense as a go-to mechanism, but I played the game as non-lethally as possible and enjoyed it a lot.

• BrowMiaow says:

@Vanderley – Did exactly the same as you this weekend with Far Cry 2. Find it still inspires awe far more frequently than any other game in the series and the absence of the goofiness that the later games came to depend on is refreshing. The animation jittering is a symptom of high frame rates on modern systems and can be game breaking. Setting “-RenderProfile_MaxFps 60” at the launch options should fix this! Also turning vsync on would work but I still find the lag unbearable all these years later, even on a 1060…

9. thenightsubscriber says:

Prey. My brother got it for me for my birthday and I’m really excited. I’m pretty sure it will live up to expectations for me. Will probably end up wishing it was another 3 day weekend.

EasyStar says:

Same here. Well, not the gift from my brother bit, but, finally hopping on the Prey train.

About 6 hours in and it continues to surprise me (in a good way)

• thenightsubscriber says:

I’m in 3 hours so far and its pretty good. Seems like just the game I have been waiting for

10. Mister eX says:

Prey-ing a lot these days. :) DOOM has been my “friday night game” the past few weeks, but Prey have taken its place yesterday. I can really hit that elusive “flow” experience in it, where I just go on and on exploring, collecting stuff, crafting (which I mostly hate in games), upgrading “myself”, shooting things in the face, and thinking (!), all the while forgetting about the outside world and the passage of time. Actually, now that I think about it, DOOM gives me that flow thingie too, in different but equally fun ways. So I guess I’m going to play that today, but since I have a long weekend ahead of me, I’m sure I’ll advance a lot in Prey too. :)
    Edith Finch is still unplayed however, but constantly calling to me. :) So we’ll see…

• Mister eX says:

Oh, and I totally forgot about the last episode of TWD’s current season. I’ll fit that in somewhere too. :D

11. Crackmac says:

Birthday parties in the sunshine and the champions league final will be taking up most of my spare time I think – if I’m lucky I might get get a bit of Caveblazers in – Adam’s review got me very hot under the collar I must say…

12. Avioto says:

PES 2017, Rising Storm 2, TEKKEN 7. And I’m gonna try to finish The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in one go, no idea if that’s possible.

13. TheAngriestHobo says:

Injustice (the first one), and dreaming wistfully of the day when the sequel will get ported over to PC.

14. Rainshine says:

I finally picked up Stardew Valley last week on Humble sale. While I’m not particularly fond of the artwork or many of the townspeople… It is pretty fun. Engaging without being tense; overall delightfully relaxing, which was what I was hoping for. Just started fall of my first year.
    It would have been nice if I wouldn’t have had to find out about artifact things from the wiki though. And the whole right and left click thing are super annoying. I can’t count the number of times I’ve destroyed my plants when trying to pick them, or given gifts away when trying to talk.

• MacTheGeek says:

Set your left-click action on the watering can when you go to pick crops. That way, the worst you can do is water them.

I’m nearing the end of Year 1, and I’ve yet to get more than ten minutes into any session without alt-tabbing back to the browser and hitting up the wiki. Thankfully the game doesn’t do weird stuff when it’s pushed to the background.

15. Hoot says:

Continuing my Let’s Play of Darkest Dungeon (before the expansion hits) and getting slowly addicted to Dead Cells AND re-addicted to Enter the Gungeon.

If anyone cares to join me while I try and not die painfully while sounding like Davos Seaworth, check out the channel.

link to youtube.com

16. DasBilligeAlien says:

Continue my quest to play all my steam games at least 30 mins. Hampered by my super slow internet. Speaking of super. Go Superhot through Humble Monthly. Internet be faster!

Otherwise i will play some Tabletop Wargames. Mostly Saga. Need to win a campaign with my Welsh:D

17. KieranFurie says:

I’m continuing a trawl through all my unplayed games on Steam this weekend.

Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order which was great fun.

Installed Rage afterwards for something in a similar vein but it hasn’t really grabbed me. Still popping in for little bites of it.

Installed Divinity Original Sin last night though and I think I’m already hooked. Going to restart after some lunch to change my party set up.

18. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

A bit more of Mirage: Arcane Warfare, which I’m still enjoying an awful lot.
    I also want to check out the re-release of Brigador: that thing never left my hard drive for a year now and I’m fairly excited about the “Up-Armored Edition”. Not because of the new content (although that helps) but because I’m hoping that second time is the charm and that the word of mouth since last year will give it the legs it deserves. Speaking of which, I’ll subtly imply that YOU BUY BRIGADOR NOW. OBEY.

PS: Reading my comment again, I realized I seem to like a lot of underdogs…

• haradaya says:

BRIGADOR. I don’t know why the game is such a tough sell. It wasn’t till my 5th or 7th hour it really clicked for me, and now it’s been in my favorites category since. The lore and gameplay goes hand in hand and just hits the sweet spot of clunky greasy machinery and guns.

19. skeletortoise says:

Unpacking boxes which never seem to end, picking up furniture I saw on craigslist, bits of Breath of the Wild, and hopefully talking myself into running for the first time in a long time in swamp level heat and humidity. Can’t wait to see how crap that goes.

20. poliovaccine says:

Finally got to try Metal Gear Solid 5! I know I’m deeply late to that party but whatever, I couldnt run it at release, I’m just glad I can now.

Between that and Prey I’m spoiled for stealth games. Oh, and I’ve been dusting off Invisible, Inc lately, just cus I truly do love hide and seek with guns.

Thulsa Hex says:

I think it’s a little strange how little MGSV gets mentioned these days. It’s an amazing playground of a game. Everyone’s still banging on about the Witcher 3 (which I love to death, too), but V came out around the same time and it’s a true masterpiece in terms of gameplay systems. Hope you enjoy!

• poliovaccine says:

Oh my god do I enjoy..! Thanks, and yeah, I see what you mean – when it first came out it was recognized as gaming exemplar, an open world stealth masterpiece, i.e. my wet dream… and it was reviewed super well and everyone had only good things to say about it and then it disappeared. Idk why. Cus holy man, this game is awesome so far.

• malkav11 says:

My guess is that it tends to be stories more than mechanics that stick in the conversation, and by most accounts MGS V’s story is thin and ridiculous (as opposed to bloated and ridiculous, like most MGS games), whereas Witcher 3 is a genre standout.

But I have played neither to any meaningful extent so I may be wrong. (I own both, they are on the agenda. Just…they’re such huge undertakings.)

• poliovaccine says:

As much as that’s already shaping up to be true, about the thin silly plot, what gave me such a boner for the game in the first place was reading articles and reddit conversations about the mechanics, whether they were rarer or what I could not say, cus I was specifically hunting out examples of gameplay to admire longingly from afar like an open-world puppy with an eyepatch in a window. I know nothing of the previous games in the series, have fiddled a bit w em on friends’ consoles here and there over the course of my life, but I am a filthy casual when it comes to MGS and its story, beyond knowing it has a reputation for being outlandish, and I know secondhand about fun stuff like Psycho Mantis – but I just came for the promise of open-world stealth supposedly being fulfilled. I already knew about the cardboard box, the base, capturing/airlifting recruited enemies, some of the novel distractions, etc, cus that’s all what got me so excited for it in the first place. I wouldnt have cared an ass on the merit of the brandname alone.

And so far it damn well delivers. Holy mother of wow, this is even sucking me away from Prey, which is like playing System Shock 2 for the first time, which is the highest praise I can give it. Which, in turn, is the highest praise I can give MGSV. I dont even know what to say MGSV is like. Not yet anyway. Can already tell it’s huge, and weird, I can see that much.

I can go with the campy ass story. I survived the hospital intro with (willful) suspension of disbelief intact, cus I let myself. Cus I came for the gameplay… and I like/d the first Watch Dogs (tho mostly its MP), in spite of Aiden Pearce, and I, along with the rest of the world, liked Max Payne in spite of Max Payne. So I can do the eyepatch. Because it comes with a cigar, that’s why. Because it damn well knows it’s the silliest shit since Christmas.

Sorry to rant and rave. I just… *dreamed* after this game ramping up to prerelease, hoping like hell my little old rig could run it, knowing in my heart it never would, knowing for sure when they released the specs… seeing reviews and user comments verify that it was everything we had hoped and more, it was the Second Coming of Games Like Thjeseus, “il pleur dans mon coeur,” it is raining in my heart… fast fwd to now, one minor ass upgrade later and it’s one of the first three games I check out (other two being Prey and Resident Evil 7). I am happy like a pig in… a hot tub.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The Witcher 3 also had two significant DLC releases which definitely kept it in the conversation longer.

Thankfully we’ve gotten past the point where every bloody review on this site had to be full of comments stating how the game isn’t as good as The Witcher.

• DanMan says:

Haven’t played it myself, but this is also what I’ve heard. By the end you feel that it’s unfinished. The “infiltrate outpost #725” gameplay gets old and repetitive despite the freedom you supposedly have. The story also doesn’t come to a satisfying conclusion, it basically just ends.

That’s why I’ve refunded it after securing the 1st outpost. I couldn’t see myself doing basically just that for the next 8 hours.

I’m sure it doesn’t help that I’ve always only liked the MGS games *despite* being stealth games.

21. NetharSpinos says:

Brigador! Very fun game. So much choice of vehicles & weapons, and a lot more tactical than it lets on from the screenshots. Also Superhot (definitely) and Ashes of the Singularity (maybe). The Humble Bundle harvest was rather bountiful this month, and I am reaping the rewards.

Still faffing about on Stellaris; I’ve gone back to my first game and am attempting to clear out the Prethoryn Scourge, but several times I’ve reduced their infested planets to 0 (what I understood to be the goal to defeating them) and the grubby buggers are still going strong. I’m unsure whether this is a bug (har har) or whether I’ve missed some vital detail and will instead have to spend the next several hundred years meticulously mopping up all traces of them, ludicrously strong armadas included.

• Chopper says:

I spent most of yesterday doing this in Stellaris. Eventually I hit on the idea of leaving a single destroyer behind in every cleansed system, and setting him on aggressive. He’ll then deal with those pesky constructor ships and prevent them from building more space ports/stations/colony ships. You do need to deal with the main swarms first though. Enjoy!

Carra says:

Playing a game of pressing F5/F8. In other words: shadow tactics.

23. fish99 says:

Picked up an Xbox One S this week (kinda rude not to at £200 with 3 games and 2 controllers) so in addition to Witcher 3 on PC I’m also playing Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 3 (so I can get to Gears 4) on Xbox. FH3 is pretty addictive, the open world is fun to explore, but the physics are a little off. The cars steer very slowly and have a tendancy to veer off the round if you try to adjust them in a slide.

Really need to get back to Witcher 3 though since I didn’t play it last week.

24. dethtoll says:

It’s only been a year since I last played but Watch Dogs has been occupying my time. I rarely enjoy Ubisoft games but something about WD caught me and won’t let me go.

I plan to get 2 in the summer sale, though I probably won’t play it ’til the DLC is out.

25. malkav11 says:

1) Rare drafting and farming gold in Hex. As per usual.
    2) Mass Effect Andromeda, as per usual. Did a loyalty mission and explored Elaaden a bit last week, this week I’ll be poking around there more and maybe doing Drack’s loyalty, if indeed that’s what I’m headed towards with his quest there.
    3) Prey, maybe? The combat’s kind of putting me off and there’s a bunch of other stuff on my plate, but I do want to have some grounding for all the conversation around it lately and everything else is real cool.
    4) Cayne: the free prequel to Stasis. Every bit as grimy and horrible (atmosphere, not quality) as Stasis was, but now running at resolutions up to 4K. Did a good chunk last night before it seemed to lock up and I decided to go to bed instead. Hopefully my progress saved.
    5) Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney – having finished Ghost Trick earlier this week, I figured I’d go ahead and start catching up on Ace Attorney. I’ve beaten the original Phoenix Wright trilogy, so this is next up.

Plus more Twin Peaks (I’ve watched roughly half the first season now), perhaps a movie or two, Let’s Plays, etc.

Ninja Dodo says:

5) Funny, I just recently got both of those games. Not gotten to Ghost Trick yet, but recently finished Apollo Justice after having played the Phoenix Wright trilogy ages ago. It’s not the best in the series imo (first one is my fav) but it has some solid moments.

• malkav11 says:

Ghost Trick is fantastic. I’m not wild about some of the puzzles requiring pretty precise timing, but the story is hilarious, heartfelt and full of surprises, while hanging together extremely well by the end.

I beat Cayne, incidentally. Very much like Stasis in every way except much shorter, and of course free.

And apparently I’ve decided to start the new Doom, which is awesome so far.

• GeoX says:

Ghost Trick is lovely. Apollo Justice is kinda meh, but the following two 3DS Ace Attorney games are both great.

26. Monggerel says:

Played through What Remains of Edith Finch on friday.
    Interesting vignettes, pretty environment, absoultely hate hate hated the story, disgusted by the attitude the viewpoint character (and by extension the game) seems to take RE: death and mourning.
    But that’s unsurprising. I just wish the critical reaction actually included people reacting critically to actual aspects of the game, instead of simply praising its (admittedly creative, if not super imaginative) use of vignettes.

27. Minglefingler says:

After finding it hard going when I tried to get into it on release I’ve started a new game of Endless Space 2 and am finally enjoying it. I think the game needs work though, every faction I encounter behaves like dicks to me. Even the Unfallen (almost called them Unbidden, too much Stellaris) who are suposedto be promoting peace think mothing of blockading my systems shortly after our first encounter. I could understand this if I was being a space arse but I’m trying to be a pleasant sort of space emperor. Still, it’s a good, maybe very good game and I’ve no doubt it’ll get better over time.
    Also, I’ve been finding myself continually returning to Golden Krone Hotel which is a fantastic roguelike that has you fighting vampires and other assorted creatures. It’s interesting in that you can and will become a vamp yourself during a run meaning that the light beams flickering in through windows can be useful or dangerous. In a self-serving effort to allow myself to spend money on yet another game I’ll buy Brigador if the people who are recommending it buy Golden Krone.

Thulsa Hex says:

I intended to give my solo time to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided this weekend, but a Steam client update (of all things) seems to have broken the ability to reverse the y-axis on controllers with this specific game. I’d just about gotten into it, too. I agree with the consensus that a lot of characters are either uninteresting or annoying, and the pacing of the plot leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay is there and the environments are fantastic. Prague is an inspired setting that perfectly fits the augmentation aesthetic, and I think they’ve done a pretty good job at capturing the feel of Old Town. I just wish the DX intrigue was present, also. If it doesn’t get fixed soon, I might temporarily move on to Dragon’s Dogma.

A positive life opportunity has meant that my wife and I are moving to L.A. at the end of the summer. I’ve never been, Cork lad that I am, so I’m currently a confused bundle of excitement and trepidation. Anyway, to get into the swing of things we’ve been playing pass-the-controller L.A. Noire for the past few weeks and it’s been great. The complaints about its ambiguous interview system definitely ring true, but when things go well, it really is swell. Clearly a lot of love (and money) went into making this game!

Lastly, we’re having an overdue Pandemic Legacy session today. We put an end to a bad losing streak last time, so morale is high. Looking forward to it!

29. Pich says:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. let me tell you, after playing two games with great design and writing (New Vegas and Persona 5), this game is pissing me off a whole lot.

• poliovaccine says:

New Vegas straight up ruined other RPGs for me for awhile.. cus all I really wanted out of any of em was more New Vegas… my name is polio and I am an addict.

30. Chaoslord AJ says:

Having just finished Prey I feel like I’m burned out of gaming at least for now.
    Maybe I should find another hobby.
    Well at least there’s still PnP-RPG with the peers later.

31. PharaohAtem says:

Dota.

32. Viral Frog says:

I’m playing the dad game. It’s the one where I have three little boys constantly telling me they’re hungry, whinging because they have no idea what they actually want or need, and asking me “why?” every time someone says anything.

Other than that, I’ll be playing a bit of Endless Legend, Divinity: Original Sin EE, and maybe Hacknet. I may also spend some time in GameMaker Studio.

33. Wulfram says:

2nd playthrough of Mass Effect Andromeda. Still really enjoying it, the combat is great, characters and story are good. The angara are better developed than any of the Milky Way species (including humans) were in the original trilogy. The “auto-dialogue” from the protagonist is a bit more annoying this time through, since my character is supposed to be a bit more professional.

Might mix in some CK2 with the randomly generated map and history mod

• brucethemoose says:

Better developed… No, not yet.

But this is the first game in a new series without any dlc, so that’s to be expected. Other species weren’t that well developed in ME1 either, if that’s what you mean.

I was actually thinking about a second playthrough, or a whole trilogy + A playthrough… The Fallout 4 went on sale, and that idea went out the window.

• Wulfram says:

No, I’m comparing to the whole trilogy. Not that including ME2 and ME3 actually does anything good for most of the races.

The Quarians were OK, they at least had some sense of having a culture. Geth were good in ME2. The rest? They’re just shallow stereotypes.

34. Gomer_Pyle says:

Picked up Stellaris in from last Month’s Humble Monthly, so I’ll be giving that a crack and I may also continue with the Long Journey Home.

35. PsychoWedge says:

I bought the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass for 6 bucks or something like that in the recent humble store sale. I’m gonna take a general look at the story dlcs but I’m kinda focused on the Batgirl one. I really liked Gail Simones run of her a couple of years ago and the dlc seems to be rather close to that.

36. welverin says:

I had started playing Twilight Princess, but now that I have my copy of Breath of the Wild I suspect I shall be playing that.

37. Deadly Habit says:

Nongunz, Dead Cells, eyeballing picking up Monster Slayers and will likely checkout the new DayZ patch in experimental and the finally updated H2O Hide and Hold Out patch.

• malkav11 says:

Monster Slayers is great, and getting better at a rapid clip as the dev incorporates feedback and adds content or nuance. If you weren’t already planning to get it through this bundle:
      link to bundlestars.com
      you should. If you go in at the $7 level, it’s a discount just compared to the base game price and you get the DLC and a bunch of other games (including some other quality roguelike/lite games by the same dev) to boot. If you think you’d like Slain, heck, that top level wouldn’t be bad either. I didn’t bother myself since it’s not really my sort of thing.

particlese says:

Compiling emulators and installing libraries until I can play SNES games on a Raspberry Pi. Today began with smushing a HiFiBerry into a Pi, and then I enjoyed a bunch of music using a nice GUI but without a power-hungry desktop computer and its fans whirring away in the background. My initial attempt to run a self-compiled EmulationStation didn’t go so smoothly…

39. Shinard says:

Man, it’s been too long since I’ve had a free weekend. Not that long, to be honest, around a month, but it’s been an intense month. Had everything else uninstalled, so I’ve developed a worryingly severe Minesweeper addiction. I think I’ll be playing Hitman this weekend, left my bald buddy off in Thailand last time. I’ll probably try and head down to Colorado and Hokkaido, then go back and explore the other levels a bit more. Got an interesting idea I want to try in Sapienza…

That aside, Hearthstone’s always an option, and last I remember I was doing well with Darkest Dungeon. Well, “well” is a bit strong, I had my favourite squad of level 6’s wiped by bloody Vvulf (evil sod). I got my Plague Doctor out, and my Man-at-Arms came back in a town event, but the loss of the Vestal and the Leper really stung. Man, it really is a difficulty leap from medium to hard dungeons…

Oooh, and Renowned Explorers has new DLC out! OK, discount all that, that’s definitely top of the list.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Still space truckin’ through Prey. I’m probably not even half done at the pace I play. Need neuromods. Feeeeeeeeeed.

Played some of the new campaign for Brigador. So far the missions have been pretty basic, more of an extended tutorial. Anyone familiar with the game should be able to breeze through them. I am liking some of the additions like the crouch, multiple camera options and the center mech to mouse button. I never really got into the Freelance mode as I had played it quite a bit before the game has been released from early access so I will probably give that a go. I need something I can play in short bursts and I want to slow down on Dead Cells until it is finished.

41. nitric22 says:

First month I’ve ever done the Humble Bundle subscription just unlocked yesterday and I installed everything! Now I have to just twiddle around with the new games to find what sings to me. Ashes of the Singularity intrigues, Maize looks corny as all hell, Plague Inc. may be fun for a stint, and oohh SUPERHOT I am really excited to mess with! This month seems a great value but I’m still reserved. Have other H.B. subscribers been consistently satisfied on a month-to-month basis??

• malkav11 says:

It’s always a good value if you have broad taste in games and a small Steam library. If you are less widely interested in games or you already have a lot of them it’s a lot more of a gamble. My personal rule of thumb is that it’s worth it if you want the revealed game at the full price of the bundle (which lately is often a steeper discount than that game had ever previously received – e.g. XCOM 2, Total Warhammer, Stellaris, etc). That way even if nothing else ends up interesting you (or you already have all the ones you’d care about), you still got a good price on that game.

Doing that has been a consistently good value on the months I’ve been in. Every bundle I was subscribed for included at least 2-3 games past the headliner that I was interested in and all for $12. There have definitely been months that would have been a bust for me, though…and I wasn’t subscribed for them, because the headliner was something I already owned.

For example, the month Vermintide was the headliner (which I owned), the other games were Project Cars (couldn’t care less), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (the first chapter, which I owned), Mother Russia Bleeds (not my style of game at all, not particularly well regarded either), Jotun (looks great, based on an LP I watched, doesn’t live up to that at all), Neon Chrome (owned), Hopiko (never heard of, doesn’t look like my type of game at all), and Kimmy (a Humble Original, probably not my thing). But I skipped that month, and I’m happy to have done so.

42. second_hand_virgin says:

Having more fun with Tokyo 42 than I expected after reading reviews (writen obviously by people, who never played games like new X-Com’s or FEZ with the same camera rotation settings). Second favourite game of this weekend – trying to login on RPS.

43. michelangelo says:

After extrelemy disappointing 3th Witcher (despite certain qualities presence), and by many dissagreable first line of my comment, I dived into Dishonoreds recently. Both of them. To fix my gaming appetite.

Finished 2nd game before and 1st one on this weekend. I love them. Gameplay, art and design (!) wise Emily game is the crowned one. In case of story and writing (!) especially, first one have its throne.

In a way Bioshock sensation wonderfully fused with the old good (and The best) Thief legacy, my appetite was pleased indeed. There is only few things which could be done better in my eyes. Void is cheaper element, then it could be and the sound (not music). It is quite sad, how confusing sound is in case of both of games. In the old Thief you can orient yourself based on precise and thoughtful sound design and its spreading realism. And it is the Thief that keeps its highest and unshakable pedestal position among stealth games sound designs.

What is a little sad, yet obviously reasonable, for the Arcane Studio team size limits, is the rushed and sort of underestimated introduction and presentation of the playground in both games. But its only little detail so easy to forgive in front of the entertainment amount it offers, and absolutely understandable facing its development resource expences.

And both Dishonoreds are comfortably playable with no UI and that’s a huge plus in any game, which allows itself to be played without this modern game crutch. I think, players don’t even realise, how much UI, health, hints, maps and so on hurts immersion and control of the games, learning their mechanisms and at the end, joy of playing them. I am testing this on myself for a really long time (years long period), and I must say no UI is beneficial to overal gaming experience. Dear reader of this, I recomend you to try it. Once you automatise tutorial controls, turn UI off.

44. Philopoemen says:

BattleTech Beta – old school tabletop revamped. Still coming to grips with some of the changes, but most of the gripes are minor, and should be easily fixed.

• PiiSmith says:

You can’t get in the beta any more unless you are a backer, can’t you?

45. Torgen says:

I’ve been playing Sim Settlements (aka modded Fallout 4). I try to remind myself that I emerged from Vault 111 with a burning desire to find my infant son and avenge my wife’s murder, but my focus has been scouring the Wasteland for duct tape and Wonderglue. :Þ

I’ve decided that I will focus on the main storyline on my second playthrough, as Mom the formerly retired covert agent (sneak, melee weapons, lockpick, hacking, Lone Wanderer) whose quest to find her only child means everyone else in the Commonwealth can go hang.

Wondering how far I’ll get before hitting a wall with that one.

46. geldonyetich says:

I’ve been trying to play Elder Scrolls Online. For two weeks now. But the gameplay is too simplistic.

I believed I could build a character that could make it interesting but so far I have not been able to.

I want to get at that lavish treatment of Elder Scrolls lore, but it’s like wanting to read more of an author to find out he only writes children’s board books now.

47. Morcane says:

Steel Division: Normandy 44. I decided to buckle up and give this one a real chance, and I’m finally turning around. Multiplayer is brutal for newer players, but I’m determined to ‘git gud’.

Played some Star Trek Bridge Crew too, it’s just too much fun. At heart, it’s just a glorified chat room with some resource management mini-games, but yeah…shouting ‘make it so’ never gets old.

I really hope they’ll expand on this one with more content and it’s not going to be a one hit wonder. You can say what you want about Ubisoft, but they’ve put at least some effort in their VR offerings.