Gleaming! Rust overhauls recoil and inaccuracy

Sandbox survive ’em up Rust [official site] has launch a sizeable update reworking how gun recoil and inaccuracy work. It should now feel more like a traditional first-person shooter, developers Facepunch Studios say. Thursday’s early access update also fancied up parts of the map Hapis Island, making them a lot more interesting, and added a new one-way drop box for players to easily dunk items. Let’s talk pew-pew!

Facepunch’s Maurino Berry explained the changes in last week’s dev blog:

“I’ve made the gunplay in Rust feel a little bit more in line with traditional first-person shooters, and I think this is a good thing. There are three major changes. First, you’re going to notice less horizontal recoil so it’ll be easier to maintain your target. Secondly, you’re going to notice that, for rifles, the first shot is pretty much dead accurate and the longer you hold down the trigger the more inaccurate it gets by way of an increasing aimcone. This means you’ll be able to tap at targets for high accuracy or you can risk spraying more rounds down range which are less likely to hit their targets. Lastly, I’ve implemented recoil compensation. This means if you’re holding down the trigger and the weapon is riding up, as soon as you let go of the trigger it will correct back to the original aim position.”

This system is “absolutely not complete”, Berry said. “This is a first pass at a different recoil system, and I’m sure some weapons are way underpowered and others are way overpowered.” So they’ll be tweaking things along the way.

The old way was friendly to cheaty cheaters too, who could use scripts to reduce the effects of recoil and do murders better. Speaking of, the update included a few checks to thwart and log hacks.

The recoil changes aren’t all that’s fixed with guns. After noticing the shotgun trap fired shot across a square spread of inaccuracy, rather than the usual cone method, Berry found every gun in the game shared the problem.

“All weapons had their inaccuracy calculated in a square instead of a circle. I ended up cleaning it up and implementing the proper math so aimcones are actaully circular now. The big deal about this is it means when we calculate how inaccurate something should be it will cover about 20% less surface area (read: 20% less inaccuracy). Whoops…”

You big sillies!

Overhauled prettiness around Hapis Island, a pre-made map (as opposed to its procedurally-generated ones), includes reworking the west coast, making forests denser, adding new caves and mines, and modernising radtowns using newer assets. More prefabs and areas are coming to Rust at large.

Check out the devblog for full patch notes and details on things coming in future updates (new hand models!).

Rust has been in early access since December 2013. Facepunch still don’t have firm word on when it’ll launch-launch but they are getting close. Facelord Garry Newman recently blig blag blogged about what early access means to different people, and suggested Rust is almost done with it.

“To me it comes down to a single question:

“‘If early access didn’t exist – would we release this game?’

“Once you put it in these simple terms, it’s easy to answer. We definitely would have released it by now. We obviously wouldn’t have stopped updating it yet (and we don’t plan to stop updating it after we leave EA), but it would have been on Steam by now.

“So our plan is to add a bit more help to the game (so first time players can actually open the inventory menu without reading guides on the internet), and then quietly slip out of Early Access.”

Shhh! Until then (and after then), updates continue.

Disclosure: former RPS contributor Craig Pearson works for Facepunch Studios.

1. GrumpyCatFace says:

I purchased this game years ago, on the recommendation of a friend, and never put in more than a couple of hours. Hopefully, they’ve added a plot beyond simply, ‘kill everybody and take their stuff until someone kills you and takes your stuff’.

2. Uberwolfe says:

I also purchased this game when it first arrived on Steam. I didn’t get into, thought it felt way too basic and the whole thing just didn’t gel.

I booted it back up about 6 months ago. It has come a loooong way – and I was genuinely surprised how good it is these days. It’s easily the best-in-class survival game out there at present.. It’s polished, has plenty of content and a healthy (if mostly toxic) player base.

Plus, I don’t know of any other Early Access title that has continued to release significant updates EVERY WEEK for more than 3 years..

Great game.

3. racccoon says:

Garry Newman is so full of shit its not funny.
    Its all about money, nothing else, why pull a game out of this void (early access) that its been in, when he has tons of cash rolling in from spontaneous buying fools who think rust is a cool name.

• allthingslive says:

Oh man I hadn’t realized he was the lead/only developer for this game…. knowing the history of GMod, if I’d have known that 2 years ago I would’ve never bought Rust.

• Uberwolfe says:

Yeah, that’s more than a little unfair. Rust is one of the few early access games that actually uses its Alpha status as it should.

The developers are continually changing the entire mechanics of the game to find the right system. Listening and reacting to player feedback.

There has never been additional cost.. there are no paid DLC or updates unlike some other early access games in the same genre.

I have played over 600 hours. More than got value from my 20 bucks.

• Clavus says:

Wut? You never had to pay anything extra for Rust or GMod. All his success came from the fact he kept updating these games and people kept buying them. You’re the one being full of shit in this case.

4. allthingslive says:

About a year or 2 too late… now with even H1Z1 being outdated by PUBG. I bought this game forever ago, in early access, and it never was or became anything remarkable, even compared to some Arma mods… and now checking it on Steam it’s STILL early access… this update seems like an attempt to capitalize on the Battle Royale hype right now. Maybe trying to steal a few players from PUBG or to try getting people to impulse buy? Overall a miserable gaming experience imo. Last time I played even the gameplay had a lot of poor game design decisions, success basically revolved around having a group of people you know outside the game to create a super base, then hold it as long as you can. Which would hopefully be months until a cheater or server change inevitably gets you. Everyone else tries to scrounge up enough to build a small base and eventually weapons, until being wiped out overnight by the bigger groups. Solo < Groups < Cheats, along with the standard random drops and food and temperature meters to consider it survival, that was basically the whole game when I left.

• Uberwolfe says:

H1Z1 and especially PUBG are nothing like Rust.

Also this update is one of the hundreds they have released weekly since launching on Steam. There have been significant updates that haven’t made the news in the last couple of months.

Your enjoyment all comes down to the server you choose. If you choose one of the massive ones 2-300+ people, yes it is dominated by clans… I play solo on smaller servers 30-40 people and I have a blast. Rust is responsible for some of the funniest gaming moments I have ever had. I’ve made good friends and of course I’ve made bitter enemies as well.

Good times.

5. Bum Candy says:

I have spent so much time on Rust. You only need one or two other people to have an absolutely amazing time. You have to engage with the social element of it to get the most out of it.