Dota 2’s first co-op campaign arrives in Siltbreaker Act 1

Siltbreaker!

Ooooh! The first part of Dota 2 [official site] co-op campaign, Siltbreaker, has arrived! Act 1: The Sands of Fate is the game’s first co-op multiplayer campaign (unless you count crowding round a screen with a friend to take turns playing Warcraft 3 or something).

“A long-dormant evil stirs in Dark Reef prison, and four chosen defenders must band together on a secret mission to stop the fiendish Siltbreaker and his enthralled host of followers. To face this dire threat, all Battle Pass owners are invited to journey across vast landscapes filled with hordes of monsters and other lethal terrors” sez Valve over on the Dota 2 blog.

I’ve given the campaign a quick go and it reminds me of a cross between the Dota 2 tutorial where you’re wandering around the forest, and some of the limited time event modes. There’s an element of balancing what you spend on bolstering health and mana against what you need to budget for picking up stat-boosting items and utility for later wave defence bits. The section I played involved a LOT of punching wolves in forests. I will say that I found it peculiarly difficult to target critters with Witch Doctor so I’m interested to see if other people run into that or whether I’m just really rusty!

Playthroughs give chances to earn Artifacts which are equippable objects. It sounds like you earn some, then equip them to help you get a bit further next time and earn more and equip those and so on and so on.

Me paraphrasing is probably not as helpful as just quoting Valve’s own explanation so here’s what they say will happen as you play:

“As Act I opens, Siltbreaker awakens in the depths of Dark Reef, and the mysterious Conclave of the Brine calls upon you to halt this dark power’s ascent, starting with Siltbreaker’s twisted creation—Rhyzik the Corruptor.

“As you battle through multiple play zones in search of Rhyzik, you’ll earn completion stars based on your performance level. The first time you complete a zone with one or two stars will net you Battle Points rewards, and delivering a three-star zone performance will grant a treasure from Siltbreaker himself.”

Battle Points help you level up the Battle Pass which is the digital doodad which gives you access to a bunch of seasonal cosmetics and rewards as well as all the wagering and supporting and collecting stuff relating to the big esports tournament, The International. Treasure is just Dota’s version of loot chests.

Siltbreaker!

“Each Siltbreaker Treasure includes a chance to receive an indescribably-rare Immortal Desert Sands Baby Roshan courier, and Battle Pass owners with Battle Level 165 or higher will receive double the treasures for each three-star zone they complete with the reward bonus active. You’ll also have the opportunity to unlock achievements that grant even more Battle Points.”

So it sounds like Rhyzik is the first boss and Siltbreaker will wander in during Act 2.

The game mode is open to all who own the Battle Pass. The cheapest version of that is £7.99/$9.99. Alternatively, Blizzard are selling Warcraft 3 on the marketplace formerly known as Battle.net for £6.99/$9.99.

1. Banyan says:

My first impression from three runs is that the learning curve is crazy steep. Nothing in the base game resembles the creep burst damage in this. One run lasted literally less time than the loading screen, as the team repeatedly wiped on the first two camps.

• TheManfromAntarctica says:

Same. It’s quite crap as a “cooperative campaign” – it’s not much different from previous wave levels like the Wraith King or the Dark Moon event. No surprise all writers quit Valve recently.

• Vandelay says:

I got a serious case of don’t care when glancing over the comic. I’m not really sure why they thought trying to put story into DOTA was a good idea, but I feel sorry for the writers if they were tasked with having to put that drivel to paper (although, I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t done by any of the writers.)

I played with one friend and two randoms. It wasn’t the most exciting experience. We managed to reach the camp and then got slaughtered quite quickly, as everyone ran around aimlessly. It feels like the kind of thing that could be good fun with a full set of friends playing, but is ruined with any randoms. It would definitely be better if you could just play with any number up to four and it scaled the difficulty.

As with most of these events though, the main game is far more interesting to play and we quickly just returned to that.

2. malkav11 says:

Soooo…the coop mode is limited strictly to people who spend money on a thing that’s mainly interesting for people who follow competitive play? Okaaaay.

I was interested for a second there, but yeah, now not so much.

3. LuminosXI says:

I find it irritating they decided to make this battle pass content instead of another mode (even one without the gracious .00000001% chance of SuperMegaUltraSwag) as they’ve done little in the way of improving the bot AI and the inclusion of a co-op campaign after all this time makes me question their reasoning.

Valve could have easily cannibalized the seasonal events, incorporated the more interesting mechanics from the arcade creations or, taken the tutorial and made it in to something useful.

With the shift from the regionals to majors and the effect on the competitive scene per region, the inception of mobile authentication for ranked play and, the level/money/time based exclusives for pass owners (cause fuckin buying the pass isn’t enough) it feels as though DotA’s pinnacle has long passed.

4. VNGZ_6661 says:

and yet it only 4 members required…now i cant play with my friends…

5. Spluff says:

I haven’t played DOTA since it was a W3 mod, but ‘Siltbreaker’? Seriously?

Comment on this story