Project Cars 2 racing out on September 22

Project Cars 2

Yep. It’s racing, alright. There’s a new trailer for Project Cars 2 [official site], featuring — no surprise — lots of different cars racing round lots of different tracks in lots of different weather conditions. Oh, and there’s a release date, too: 22 September.

Project Cars came to PC in 2015 with bugs splattered all over its windscreen and had to be quickly patched up in Slightly Mad’s virtual game garage. Or wherever it is developers go to fix a game. Just six weeks after release, a sequel was announced. So, hopefully the team have had enough time to ensure that the follow-up arrives all spick and span.

If you haven’t played the original, it basically aimed to be a super realistic sim, and had cars ranging from rallycross to hypercars. Project Cars 2 will be much of the same plus new features like ‘loose surface’ track types, co-op career, dynamic weather and more.

The video itself is an E3 “Sizzle” trailer, apparently. Whatever that means. Here it is:

I mean, it looks as you’d expect, right? Whether it’s any good will depend on how the cars handle, and how they respond to all that rain. Project Cars was a decent racing sim, once all those bugs were wiped away, so folks will have high hopes for this one.

From this site

1. Catweasel says:

With how they instantly dropped the first to work on a sequel I really can’t get behind this.

2. grimdanfango says:

Lying, narcissistic bully Ian Bell can shove this game up his ass. He’s pulling his usual crap of (very literally) buying out every enthusiast racing sim fan-site in order to make them his PR puppets during the launch, and alas, it’ll work – he’s a master of churning up hype and browbeating dissent until it fades away and he can convince everyone… *again*… that their reasonable but shakily coded sim is the second coming of auto-sim christ. He won’t get a penny out of me ever again however. The arrogant ass.
    Let’s see how many new fans he personally instabans from forums for failing to be ass-kissing sycophants, and daring to politely, non-confrontationally asking about bugfixes *this* time.

3. trjp says:

I must also highlight that the developers are hateful people who I could never support in any fashion

They operate an echo-chamber forum, are abusive to anyone who dares criticize them, milk their customers for all they can and then drop half-finished products which they offer zero support for

Ideally, no-one would buy anything from them ever again – seriously – grade A scumbags

4. Blad the impaler says:

I tryst you guys. I don’t trust a lot of people, but I trust you, the commenters. Thanks for saving me money.

• AshRolls says:

The sim racing ‘community’ is one of the most toxic I have encountered in my sojurns around the internet and some of the comments here are echo’ing that nastiness. The first wasn’t perfect, but it was passable in most respects, and best in class in others (weather effects and day night cyle for example). From a gameplay perspective it definitely didn’t deserve the vitriol poured upon it due to the questionable antics of Ian Bell.

Project Cars 2 is shaping up to be a good, perhaps great, racer. Ignore the internet commenter noise and judge it on it’s own merits.

5. Slazia says:

Maybe get Assetto Corsa instead if you haven’t already.

6. ColonelFlanders says:

I’d rather buy Assetto Corsa and support devs who keep supporting their players (already did this); A.C. is consistently getting better, with proper nodding support, well over a dozen paid and free DLCs with more to follow.

Add to that SMS seem to really like being assholes to their customers; Ian Bellend has personally banned people for having trouble with FFB settings in the apparently very unfriendly UI, after having spent 400 bucks on a wheel to play HIS game.

There’s more in this article wot I read a while ago:

link to pretendracecars.net

I don’t know what the deal is with him, but as a Brit myself I certainly wouldn’t put it down to his ‘British style of dry humour’. To be honest the dude sounds like a prick, British or not. I’m glad he doesn’t have my money and he won’t get it for this title either.

Comment on this story