A Way Out is a co-op prison break game from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons dev

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best co-op games I’ve ever played, which is remarkable because it’s a singleplayer game. One of its creators, film-maker Josef Fares, has announced a new game as part of Electronic Arts’ EA Originals indie label. A Way Out [official site] is a split-screen two-player prison break game, so naturally I’m calling it Brothers: A Tale of Two Cons. Take a look.

The trailer doesn’t make it clear whether the whole thing will be a string of scenes with different styles of interaction, stitched into a story, or if it’ll be more open. Fares’ previous work, as well as his use of the word “narrative” during the presentation, suggests the former. I expect stealthy bits and shooty bits and fighty bits, but I don’t expect a great deal of free-form planning.

I love Brothers enough that I’d give just about anything Fares put his hand to a chance, and a prison break is a good setting for all kinds of hijinks. Cooperation will be key, of course, and though you can play online, Fares was promoting the idea of couch co-op, saying the best experience will involve sitting next to your partner.

It’s due early next year.

1. Xerophyte says:

Is that a … virtual Fares Fares? Not sure why this surprises me, Josef Fares sure does love to keep the casting in the family.

2. Pich says:

Man, look at that schnoz.

• Xerophyte says:

Yep, that would be Fares Fares. I’d say it’s a nose only a brother can love but, honestly, it’s pretty majestic in general.

3. LearningToSmile says:

That’s a game I’ll never play, but it’s neat it’s being made.

4. poliovaccine says:

I just want an immersive sim prison break game, not a narrative co-op one.

• keithzg says:

I’m a bit interested in this one due to the dev’s previous work, but now that you bring up the idea of an Immersive Sim prison break . . . damn. I really want that now too.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Welp, time to clone myself!

6. tehfish says:

Ever so slightly offtopic, but their other game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a must play IMHO. Ludicrously cheap too (via a steam sale, i got my copy for ‘free’ (less than a quid) by selling some steam trading cards at 9p a pop :P)

Though whilst it technically is playable without a controller, i’d consider it essential for this game.

• JaguarWong says:

Brothers is also in the current Humble Bundle.

Unlike you, however, I thought it was the most pretentious twaddle I’ve ever had the misfortune to ‘play’.

And, just to be clear, I despise the way the word ‘pretentious’ is thrown around for anything that isn’t a shooty-bang-bang. But there’s no game I’ve ever played that suits the descriptor as accurately as Brothers.

7. haldolium says:

Does this support a controller per person, or do you have to fight over one like true prisoners?

8. PiiSmith says:

I have not seen much of it(like for all of the games they shown off at E3, unless it is an expansion for a released game.), but so far it is the game of the show for me. I have not known about it, I love brothers and I am looking forward to playing it with my son.