BioWare tease new sci-fi IP Anthem – full reveal tomorrow

BioWare have teased their new IP, Anthem [official site], at EA’s E3 press conference. We know very little about it, but it’ll use the Frostbite engine, it’s sci-fi and it involves POWER ARMOUR. Here’s the plot, based on what I know from the teaser trailer: Humanity lives behind a great big wall, hiding from MONSTERS, and occasionally nipping out in their supersuits to biff those monsters.

Let’s call it Attack On Titanfall then, eh?

This, presumably, is the long-rumoured Project Dylan. There will be a full reveal at the Microsoft conference tomorrow, which means it’ll almost certainly be coming to PC. I’ll bring you all the news as it happens.

1. GernauMorat says:

Looks derivative. Admittedly that’s from the 3 seconds of teaser, so we shall see.

• LearningToSmile says:

For me with the emphasis on “looks”. So much of modern science-fiction artwork(mostly in games, but not only) is just so derivative and devoid of any stylistic aspirations it drives me mad.

If you showed someone unfamiliar pictures from half a dozen different sci-fi franchises and said they all came from the same work they’d have zero reason to believe otherwise.

Between the studios favoring tested waters and the state of educational institutions producing concept art talent it’s hardly a wonder, but it’s still frustrating.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The video thumbnail made me think of Killzone or the little I’ve seen of it, since it’s a Playstation exclusive.

With a name like Anthem, I hope the soundtrack is great, because the right music can do a lot to add immersion/atmosphere.

2. jellydonut says:

Premise: like Pacific Rim, but boring this time.

Not inclined to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt after they hung their newbie studio out to dry with ME:A and then released that cowpile regardless.

• DarkFenix says:

There is no Bioware any more, there is only EA. Sooner or later they’ll ditch the name entirely, once it stops being worth anything that is.

3. KvP says:

Definitely just the thing to get me excited about a promising new IP is an extremely tepid version of the Hans Zimmer Inception soundtrack that we all got sick of eight fuckin years ago

• TechnicalBen says:

That and every single cliche one liner! :D

• Maxheadroom says:

Maybe its just me, but im not feeling the ‘Bob Dylan of video games’ vibe at all. I smell a bog standard fps, maybe with Titalfall-style robots or a Destiny-style shared social space.

Guess we’ll find out in a couple of hours at the gameplay reveal, but my money is on it being the ‘S-Club 7 of video games’. inoffensive and arguably fun, but soulless, derivative, and focus tested by suits to appeal to as broad a spectrum as possible

• Vulpis says:

Listening to this, I can’t help but think of CinemaSins making the comment ‘Discount Ripley!’

4. Blasg says:

haha glad i installed the Immense Penis mod.

5. Zenicetus says:

I want to give it a chance because we don’t have enough sci-fi themed games like this. But it sure has a lot to prove now, after the mess that was Andromeda. Not the same studio, I know, but the same overlords.

6. Pich says:

They all got power armour and helmets so they don’t have to do facial animation.

7. Nasarius says:

I can only assume this is based on the Rush song / Ayn Rand novel, and is therefore a pro-objectivist response to BioShock.

8. Captain Loco says:

This is what I would expect with a name like that. I want to storm the Temple of Syrinx!

9. Freud says:

Hopefully they are inspired by Xenoblade Chronicles X. True exploration of an alien world and alien ecology done right.

• DinoSteak says:

Right? We’re so close to the perfect sci-fi game I can feel it in the air…or something. XCX was a demonstration of frustration, reveling in what could have been with that excellent world design was maddening. Most games have nailed aspects of sci-fi but never get the world to be ‘livable’ in any real sense. I’m just waiting for a game that takes the best of like Xenogears and Red Dead Redemption, plops you in an amazing and dangerous world and lets go of the reigns. Solid gameplay and self-motivated discovery with tight well scripted story bits. Mass Effect is probably the closest so far, but still felt ‘video-gamey’ in every sense. Corridors and no repercussions for choice has been too much of a mainstay in today’s market.

10. coldvvvave says:

Biowhat?

11. JohnnyJustice91 says:

“It protects us from what lies beyond: a bunch of things you shouldn’t have too much trouble shooting in the face”

This team couldn’t write their way out of a paper bag.

Cool robosuits, jackasses

Aerothorn says:

Given Kotaku’s recently look into “what happened with Andromeda” layed a lot of the blame on Frostbite being terrible for anything other than FPS games…the engine announcement doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

• Zenicetus says:

That Kotaku story is interesting reading for the failures on the technical side of the game, but it doesn’t have anything to say about how terrible the writing is. Especially the dialogue.

Maybe it’s too early, but one day I’d like to read a tell-all about how the writing ended up so bad in Andromeda.

Aerothorn says:

I mean, it sort of did: it said all the writing was done very late in the game. When people are forced to churn out words they tend to be bad, especially when they are forced to churn them out in all the constrained ways that is normal for video games.

Also, like, the industry has long been calling Bioware’s mediocre writing “great,” so I don’t think they were particularly incentivized or concerned to push themselves in that area.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, that’s a general excuse for why the writing wasn’t better.

What I’m mainly interested in, is why 1) they chose a barely out of teenager status protagonist instead of a battle-hardened adult like Shepard for the player character, and 2) why so much of the writing for that character read like a Young Adult novel.

It would be fascinating to know the average age of the team that wrote that dialogue. None of it read like adult-experienced dialog to me, but maybe that’s just because I’m an old fart gamer now. The previous ME series didn’t feel this way to me.

• Crusoe says:

The writing was irredeemable trash, no two ways about it.

And in a narrative driven story RPG, that’s a big problem indeed.

Don Reba says:

I was hoping it said “Anathem”. Bioware could do a good job with that IP.

14. Turkey says:

It looks like a great setup for a sci-fi game about hunting monsters, but with a name like ‘Anthem’ I’m just picturing rebels against an oppressive government or an invading force.

15. Ejia says:

Perhaps it’s a scathing dystopian future satire about health insurance compahahahaha

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Destiny: Zero Dawn

17. Crusoe says:

A predictable shame it won’t be an RPG

18. mitthrawnuruodo says:

What is this? Massively Multiplayer Online Co-op something something?

19. mercyRPG says:

BioWare just destroyed their reputation with horrible Mass Effect Sacrilege Andromeda and the sick idiots try to charm the masses with New Trash IP? Hahahahaha!!

20. Prime-Mover says:

Thought the end of the teaser reminded me of something.

link to youtu.be

vs

link to youtu.be

Stay original bioware!

21. poliovaccine says:

See, I really want more in the way of sci-fi RPGs. I should be all-in with this. But this doesnt strike me as a place to pin my hopes – it strikes me as those hopes being systematically dashed. I know it’s only a teaser, but my god, it is one painfully uninspired teaser.

I didnt even feel any reason to jump on the anti-Andromeda bandwagon, cus for all the legitimacy of the common complaints I felt the public reaction was still way too much… but I feel considerably less charitable after seeing this. It’s like they laid off imagination itself…

Comment on this story