Cuphead runneth over and releases Sept 29th

On September 29th, Cuphead [official site] will cease to be the game that I most look forward to seeing at E3 every year because it’ll actually be released. Even though I’m looking forward to playing it, this makes me sad. Since its first appearance, it has become a reassuring presence, a cheeky wink from a place and time far removed from the regular trailer diet of sound and fury.

It’s all very cupsetting.

It’s goodbye to Cuphead’s E3 appearances and we can only hope that the experience of playing Cuphead – of being Cuphead – will soften the blow. And, of course, let us hope that one of the big conferences next year will introduce us to a new hero. Gobletbum, perhaps, or Mugheart.

Cuphead is coming to the Windows 10 Store and Steam.

1. JackMultiple says:

That soundtrack is just slightly TOO good to hope it’s from the Portsmouth Sinfonia. For example, link to youtube.com.

2. Jason Moyer says:

So excited for this. I hope the animation quality is as consistently good as what’s been shown so far.

3. adscott says:

I have a terrible feeling this game isn’t going to be that much fun. It kind of feels like the past couple of years they have been trying to wrap something fun around a brilliant art-style – and failing. For me the gameplay doesn’t look very impressive. Call me a jaded old cynic if you want.

I hope I am wrong.

• DanMan says:

That worries me, too. It surely started out as a boss battle bullet hell shooter. I heard they added more meat around that bone though. Fingers crossed. :/

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This trailer seems to have a lot more varied gameplay than the last one did. Hopefully they took that criticism to heart and have been spending the last year upping their game (hyuk hyuk.)

keithzg says:

Cuphead is coming to the Windows 10 Store and Steam.

Hmm, but what actual platforms? [checks Steam] Drat, nothing said there about OS support. Well, I guess does say “OS: 7, 8, 8.1, or 10” which implies Windows-only, but on the other hand it’s pretty barebones so it seems just as likely that the details haven’t been fully submitted yet.

5. Ur-Quan says:

I still don’t get why this game gets hyped up so much.

Aside from the art design the gameplay looks terribly bland.

To me this game seems like a prime example of style over substance.

Comment on this story