Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus announced, coming October

Good morning! While we were all sleeping (and Adam was fighting terrible conference wifi), Bethesda’s press conference happen. With came announcements of new games, including Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus [official site]. There’s an 8 minute trailer below, which includes live action sequences, cutscene vignettes and lots and lots of killing Nazis and robots and robot Nazis.

I confess that for all my enjoyment of E3, I’m relatively immune to the trailers that get released during the show. This worked on me though, wearing me down with each cutscene. I liked the writing? And the characters? And travelling America to garner support for a revolution against the occupying Nazis sounds compelling? I’m not used to this. How did BJ Blazkowicz become a likable character. Or a character at all. Good work, MachineGames.

Also unlike so many other games at the show, Bethesda have a bunch more information about it online.

And he’ll need every weapon he can find, because this time it’s even more personal. Not only is BJ fighting to take back his homeland, but he’s doing it alongside old friends (including returning favorites like Caroline, Bombate, Set, Max Hass, Fergus or Wyatt, and his now-pregnant partner Anya). These allies – along with new characters like Horton and Grace – will help BJ take down the villainous Frau Engel and her Nazi army, and spark the second American Revolution, ensuring there’s a future for the burgeoning Blazkowicz family.

#dads

The same post also says that the game will take you “from post-nuclear Manhattan to small-town Roswell to the bayous and boulevards of New Orleans and beyond.” It’s scheduled for release on October 27th this year.

1. ZippyLemon says:

The trailer won’t play for me for some reason. “This video is not available.”

In lieu of it, I read the quoted PR speak up there. Or, rather, misread. For a glorious second I was very excited to spank the second American Revolution.

Earl-Grey says:

God I loved the last Wolfenstein.
    My thoughts watching this trailer:

“Yes. Yes! YES! SHOOT’EM! BLAM! HAH RIGHT IN THE KISSER! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!”

So yes, I think I’m going to buy this. Hard.

• Horg says:

I don’t normally get over excited about gunning down hordes of nazis, for the most part they are just another digital bullet catcher. But then the TNC trailer introduced a nazi firefighter in a juice bar, and something about that smug jackbooted asshole doing my job really wound me up the wrong way. It’s like, I know it’s all fake, but at the same time I really want to see BJ pull off a creative kill with the strawberry milkshake.

Earl-Grey says:

Oh I know…fecking nazis.
        And that awful shrew from the last game is back, oh how I hate her.

But what really makes me hot under the collar is that I remember how increddibly “good” the shooting felt the last time.
        So punchy, meaty, visceral, brutal and oh so satisfying.
        My very favourite memory is from the first level, in the first stealth section.
        There’s a gatling gun there that just rips nazi grunts to ribbons the second it revs up. By Jove did it give me a digital hard on.
        DAKKADAKKADAKKA!
        That was my “moment” with The New Order; when I fell in love.
        -that and dual wielding automatic shotguns, hot damn.

3. Paxeh says:

heh BJ, get it?

4. spacecoyote says:

Pretty quality inside joke: BJ Blazkowicz has lost use of his legs after a few months in a coma at the start of this game, but he was up and running in seconds after fourteen bedridden years at the start of The New Order.

• Kasjer says:

Well, previously he was just in coma induced by a piece of shrapnel damaging his brain. But if I recall correctly at the end of TNO a dam basically collapsed on him? They can easily make this more credible by stating he suffered a spine injury.

• spacecoyote says:

All good points. It isn’t like anyone plays Wolfenstein for a realistic representation of how muscle atrophy works.

• Horg says:

It’s still ambiguous what happened to him at the end of TNO. The game cuts out after the fight with the Deaths Head mech, BJ doing his internal monologue of the poem The New Colossus (foreshadowing the sequel), and giving the order to fire the nuclear cannon at the fortress. Then the credits roll, and if you watch to the end you can hear a helicopter getting closer near the end, heavily implying he was snatch rescued before the fortress was destroyed. If that’s the case then his condition at the start of TNC could just be a result of his fight with Deaths Head. He did take a grenade at point blank range after all.

barashkukor says:

I did not read ‘ambiguous’ from that. I read desperately sad, earned ending to game. I fully expected any future games to follow on from one of the two save-able characters or love interest – she does have an interesting back story of crazed Nazi murderin’ to build from after all.

• Jerykk says:

I don’t think there will ever be a Wolfenstein game where BJ isn’t the protagonist, especially now that he has a personality. He’s been the hero of every game since Wolf3D.

5. Blake Casimir says:

Very pleasantly surprised by this reveal. Wolf 2009 was a rotten pseudo-open-world experience with nothing interesting in that “world” to do, unsatisfying shooting / superpowers, and it suffered a severe case of consolitis / tutorialitis / hand-holding etc etc.

So nu-Wolfenstein by Bethesda was a bolt out of the blue and a tremendously satisfying experience. I felt relief that SOME AAA devs still understood what made FPSs satisfying to play and that very much came across in both TNO and TOB.

It was nice to wake up to find more MachineGames-made Wolf FPS goodness is on the way!

• Kasjer says:

Wolfenstein 2009 is lowest point of the series, but I don’t agree with your judgement – I’ve enjoyed it, it’s a solid 6-7 out of ten shooter. The problem was it came at the time when market was literally flooded with fps games and being “okay” was not good enough. Even better games like Singularity which followed year after, bombed.

TNO and Old Blood are of course far superior games, still, for fans of the series Wolfenstein 2009 is definitely worth picking up.

• dethtoll says:

Yeah, Wolf09 was a surprisingly ambitious semi-DX-alike that was crippled by what were at the time some unfortunately common action game design tropes. The biggest shame is that it’s gone from Steam, presumably forever.

• Shadow says:

Yeah, I agree. TNO’s mechanics aren’t exactly world-shattering, but they’re well done, satisfying and for me the star of the show is the world-building. I love dystopian alternate history, and this one is top quality, with its original material also drawing from plans the Nazis had for their “Thousand Year Reich” (i.e. architecture).

It’s a bit of a shame they had to de-nazify the damn Nazis, though. It detracts from the experience, but I suppose it’s an acceptable casualty.

6. Antongranis says:

I feel like i am alone in this, but i did not like the last one. Biggest reason? Weak audio! I only saw one rewiew mention this .

Man, sound design really can make or break a game. Its not talked about nearly enough.

7. Laurentius says:

Why everything has to be about USA these days? Why can’t this game take place in Europe? Yeah I get it, in alterante universe USA has it as bad under German occupation, except it doesn’t, it is just faux fifties americana under nazi regime, not really something like genocidal occupation really was in Eastern Europe. This is another american disgrace of the game. FU to Bethesda.

• Ghostwise says:

If we Europeans feel that not enough games take place in Europe, then I guess we should create those games rather than wait for US studios to do it.

Masked Dave says:

I mean, the last one was in Europe / The Moon so why not change it up for the sequel?

• Urthman says:

Please don’t begrudge us Americans right now the opportunity to grab chainguns and flamethrowers and mow down the damn Nazis who have taken over our country.

• Ghostwise says:

I’m not sure whether playing Wolfenstein video games will have an impact on American political dynamics.

• dethtoll says:

Well, the anime-loving NEETSocs who dominate geek spaces are all in hysterics over this. 4chan’s /pol/ board — aka Stormfront 2.0 — got a rude awakening in the reminder that “Nazi” is actually a BAD thing to be.

Between this and Far Cry 5 it’s a good time for gaming if you’re frustrated and more than a little frightened by Trump’s America. Which makes that idiotic “cyberpunk” Last Night game with its “universal basic income is bad” premise just look even more tone deaf.

• Napalm Sushi says:

The first game was set almost entirely in Europe and featured a lengthy sequence in a concentration camp and another in a political prison.

Maybe ease your grip on those pearls a little?

• Laurentius says:

Because I hate those games that shows USA conquered and occupied. It’s so much bs, oh americans are poor victims boo-hoo, but even then it’s all depicted in this really annoying setting: it’s too cool: cool resitance, cool fifties but with germans nazies, nothing really ugly or profound. I know it’s Wolfenstein and I killed mecha-hitler in 1992 but this trailer makes me mad.

• dethtoll says:

Clutch them pearls harder.

The US has not been seriously invaded since the war of 1812. Outside of Mexico and Canada, both of whom we’re friendly with, any power capable of staging an invasion of the US with the intent of conquest and making it stick would have to cross one of two oceans with a massive invasion force — not easy. It would also involve the collective blindness, insanity or subversion of everyone tasked with watching the seas as well as the troop movements of nations like China. North America is a fortress, and it’s that seeming invincibility that makes an invasion plot so compelling.

Where are you from? Somewhere in Eastern Europe, I presume? I get it, Russia or whatever invades you every 5 minutes and you’re mad because the US hasn’t even been bombed since the 1940s — by the Japanese. But clutch them pearls harder anyway and make sure you’ve got your papers ready, ‘cuz the developers are Swedish.

Besides, the real Nazi conquest of the US has been much more subtle and insidious. Why else would we be arguing about whether shooting Nazis is okay?

• Laurentius says:

“Why else would we be arguing about whether shooting Nazis is okay?”

I don’t who those “we” are but certainly I’m not one of them. I’m arguing why the fuck americans always get privilege to shoot nazis and looking cool while doing that?

• dethtoll says:

I don’t know, sometimes it’s the Brits.

• Michael Fogg says:

I’d also like to point out that TNO was developed primarily in Sweden

• Laurentius says:

Well, yeah I understand that they prefer USA as a setting because what could thay do with Sweden? Faux nazi ally country that actually think that nazi racist and eugenic policies are super cool?

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Yeah it’s not like every other nazi game takes place in Europe, right?

8. Kasjer says:

I wonder of this game will be built around 60fps update in mind like previous titles and Doom. Enviroments in trailer look much more detailed than ones in Doom 3 and considering it’s a multiplat game, I doubt base PS4 and XONE will be able to hit solid 60fps update even at resolution like 900p with dynamic scaling… on the other hand, these devs are miracle workers, TNO runs on ancient hardware like PS3 with 60fps at 720p and still looks pretty good! The fact new Wolf will come to consoles gives me hope that my 1050Ti will handle 1080p60fps in this game.

Funny thing: today I’ve learned I’ll be a dad. And my fiancee name is Ania. Imagine grin on my face when I was watching this trailer :D

I’ll buy it on day one, no doubt.

• mvar says:

congrats! you also get to play the game before your kid comes and takes away all that free time you have for video games now!

9. Blake Casimir says:

UK version of the trailer edits out the acid dropping. Censorship! Censorship! :/

Seriously though, this is one of the greatest game trailers I’ve ever seen. Full of so many hilarious and bonkers moments. I’m very ready for this!

Masked Dave says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Yes. Will buy.

11. BaronKreight says:

There was an interesting glitch with this game for me on steam. I opened a steam today and saw this game on the front page. I clicked on it and there was a description completely different from what it is now. Description was about a game combining several elements – you could be a captain of the starship, command your fleet from your flagship, you could fly and battle in your own ship or you could fight as an infantry on the ground. Screenshots showed off big spaceships and FPS gameplay. The game was multiplayer and singleplayer. I have no idea what that was about but I surely would like to know more about that game. Not this Wolfenstein game.

• Jerykk says:

That sounds like Angels Fall First, which you can buy right now on Steam.

12. spacecoyote says:

Anyone have a prediction for how long Machinegames will continue with this run of Wolfenstein games? As far as I’m concerned, they’re free to make five more.

13. Catchcart says:

Meh… As taglines go, “This time it’s even more personal” kinda leaves me cold. I’d go for “This time it’s so personal, you’re gonna be like, ewww, hey, enough already, stop oversharing, alright. I didn’t ask for your medical history and especially not the pictures. *shudder*”

14. Hoot says:

Man, I am so looking forward to this. The last great FPS game’s I have played have been DOOM and Wolfenstein : The New Order and I’m currently doing a Let’s Play series of The Old Blood (link to youtube.com) as somehow I missed it on release.

Only thing I’m now sure about is the name. The New Colossus? Maybe just “Wolfenstein : Colossus” or “Wolfenstein : Nazi Beatdown” or “Wolfenstein : Landfall” or…you get the idea, The New Order made sense, this title, not so much.

basilisk says:

It’s a reference to a poem by Emma Lazarus, which BJ quotes at the end of The New Order: link to en.wikipedia.org

Given that the game is set in America, a poem about the Statue of Liberty is a perfect fit.

• mvar says:

I’m really happy about this upcoming release and i’ve written this lots of times before, TNO had some of the most satisfying gunplay in recent years! I hope MachineGames don’t mess this up! We need a similarly insane scenario and more nazis to kill and, of course, for the love of god, give us zombie-nazis xD

15. kyynis says:

… and his now-pregnant partner Anya

I’m glad to see they are laying the groundwork for that Commander Keen reboot.

• Scripten says:

But seriously, can we have this? I know platformers are making a comeback and the genre is going to be littered with them, but that retro pulp for kids style would be fantastic to see again.

16. Synesthesia says:

Oh, this looks great. Guess i could do a re run of the first two, I bet they still stand pretty strong.

17. Zenicetus says:

Looks good. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the last one. But what happened with BJ’s voice? I don’t recall him having this much of a Southern twang in the last one.

• dethtoll says:

He’s always had it — it’s just less noticeable in TNO because he’s still coming to terms with the mess he finds himself in. It’s a little more obvious in The Old Blood.

18. Yega says:

Anyone else watch The Man In The High Castle? Similar sort of idea :D

19. Chaoslord AJ says:

As it’s still censored in my backwater country I will pass on this episode as well.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Why/how did they bring BJ back? I thought the ending of New Order was supposed to be the end of BJ’s story. Might as well have him take a nuclear missile up the urethra in this one.

21. Unknown says:

I’m not usually a stickler for titling or numbering, but calling this Wolfenstein 2 is some nonsense.

22. fearandloathing says:

Alt-right’s gonna love this lol

23. DEspresso says:

Interesting I would’ve thought wyatt would be the canon choice to go with.
    Reasoning: Fergus is super-depressed about the Resistance fight and has a clear too-old-for-this vibe while Wyatt ponders the mistakes he made, yet seems to have a slightly bigger rebel group around him?

One wants to get it over with while the other is happy to leave someone else in charge. Which is quite ironic as Blaskowitz is sort of the ultimate following-orders-soldier.

Matchstick says:

@fearandloathing the whining has already begun, thought I’m not sure if they are more up in arms about the idea that it lets you shoot Nazis or that the KKK might among be the enemies…

25. AyeBraine says:

Completely trivial, but I’m surprisingly happy to hear that at least the main antagonist of the game finally pronounces the protagonist’s name right (Blazkovich, cz=ch). Maybe they’ll even have a sweet moment of mutual understanding over this.

26. Chorltonwheelie says:

Yes!Yes!Yesyesyesyesyesireebob!

At last a game I can get excited about this year.

27. April March says:

It’s funny how this hits many of the same bits as the first Homefront, but comes across as much more interesting and humane.