Have You Played… Slayaway Camp?

It’s me, the person who cannot understand how anyone can enjoy playing puzzle games because they feel like maths exams. Hello. Did you know that of all the puzzle games the ones I hate the most involve pushing crates around a warehouse? They suck and I would ban them.

I’ve been playing Slayaway Camp quite a lot. It’s a brilliant game about oldschool slasher films and it doesn’t even vaguely resemble those puzzle games that I loathe so much.

Except it does, doesn’t it? I’ve been tricked into playing a puzzle game and specifically the kind of puzzle game where I have to think five moves head because I’m controlling a character who can only move in straight lines and has no brakes. I slide into a victim and realise I’ve trapped myself in a dead-end so I have to restart. And then I’m scaring people so that they move into just the right position that allows me to bounce around the level picking off everyone in sight.

Oh, and occasionally there are cats and I must never kill the cats, but they get scared and run into water and drown. It’s very difficult, but I’m having a good time.

It’s a terrifying realisation, this. Maybe it was never the puzzle games that were the problem, maybe it was just the themes, or lack of them. No men working in warehouses, no abstract shapes, just a good old-fashioned slasher flick. If the maths exams had been similarly themed, maybe I’d have a completely different career.

1. bluewizard says:

If you want to find Slayaway Camp, we’re on Android (as of today!), iOS, and Steam! Or just visit http://slayawaycamp.com.

• SebfromMTL says:

Not on Android as far as I can see

• SebfromMTL says:

Never mind for some reason stupid autocorrect was inputing slayway camp…

Well worth the 2 bucks I spent!

2. Jalan says:

I have played it and quite enjoyed it. The approach to DLC with it is not necessarily something I enjoy, but far be it from me to begrudge them from wanting to make more money.

3. buschap says:

When I was in high school, I found out that my dad used the same physics textbook in college that I had, though an earlier edition, of course.

We compared the exercises.
    In his edition: A cube slides across a frictionless surface at 1m/s …

In my edition: A rowdy fan at a hockey game throws a squid onto the ice. Assuming the ice is frictionless and the squid is traveling at 1m/s…

So, yeah, theming can go a long way.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Man, Hit The Ice was the best.

• literarylottie says:

Ha, we had the same physics book, and I remember that question endlessly amused the class, in a WTF kind of way. Only later did I find out mollusk-tossing was an actual thing: link to en.wikipedia.org

• poliovaccine says:

Thank you for that moment of bemused wonderment haha… just when I’m starting to think, after decades on earth, I might be starting to get how things work around here..

4. Eight Rooks says:

I have also played it! I… sort of got a bit tired of it, over time? The whole theme no longer seemed quite as funny as it did when I started? But then I do not have the emotional attachment to 80s horror that some people do. Still, it’s unquestionably a Good Game in my book, and even if I never finish it I feel like I got my money’s worth. Not my favorite puzzle game, but it’s still an easy recommendation.

• Robert The Rebuilder says:

Yes, and yes.

(You had asked 2 questions – didn’t want you to think that you were being ignored.)

zapatapon says:

And do you by any chance, ahem, like grilling sausages?

teije says:

I feel like many puzzle games could use a stronger narrative theme to make me care more about solving the puzzles. Take Cosmic Express for example – great little game and quite challenging (to me anyways). But why do those little aliens want to travel on the train from one end to the other so much? What nirvana awaits them on the other side? If I really knew, I’d try harder to get them there.

7. SebfromMTL says:

Is Divide by Sheep any good also?

quasiotter says:

I also feel that puzzle games are like homework unless one can play around! (i.e., Crayon Physics Deluxe)