Monster Hunter World is coming to PC

Monster Hunter, a franchise about hunting monsters, will be coming to PC in 2018, in the form of Monster Hunter World [official site]. Announced at Sony’s conference, the latest game in the series will hit Xbone (standard, slim and Eggs) and PS4 early in the year, and to PC at a later date.

There have been online spin-offs on PC before now, some of which were exclusively launched in China, but this will be the first mainline installment on PC. Unless ‘World’ being in the title means it is an online spin-off. Hmm.

Whether its multiplayer or not, and we only have the trailer to go on for now, the fact that it isn’t a numbered title – 5 would be the next – suggests it isn’t part of the core series. They tend to live on Nintendo consoles these days, so it’d make sense that 5 will end up on Switch, while the rest of us play World.

I haven’t played any of Monster Hunters so it means nothing to me that the trailer has grappling hooks and stealthy stuff rather than straight-up monster biffing with giant swords.

There are definitely monsters and they are being hunted. And they’re in a world of some sort, I guess.

We’ll no doubt learn more later in the week and I’ll be sure to keep you all informed about all the news from Planet Monster Hunter (which is a much better title).

Hullo! Alice here from the day shift. Capcom’s press blurb says it will have solo play and co-op:

“With flexible online multiplayer options and an accessible quest structure, players can tackle challenges alone or join up to three other hunters online for cooperative play. For the first time in the Monster Hunter™ series, players from Japan and the west can play together online, providing an expanded base of cooperative hunting companions. With the new online drop-in functionality, solo players can hail for assistance from the worldwide group during quests when their opponents are too daunting to take on single-handedly.”

1. Andrew says:

“Planet Monster Hunter” is a chain of restaurants.

2. gwop_the_derailer says:

It really bothers me that a super predator with that magnificent pop-up nose is unable to smell you out because you have some vegetables over your head.

• Dewal says:

My god, I’m still having chills minutes after closing the video because of that creepy pop-up nose. Ugh it’s ugly.

On your matter, maybe the herbs really really stinks and are the game counter to smelling types of monster.

3. SaintAn says:

“And they’re in a world of some sort, I guess.”

Looked like a linear path to me, not a world.

• CallMeIshmael says:

Monster Hunter, even at its most linear, has never been a linear path. Besides, that’s the nature of scripted gameplay demos shown at cons.

4. RedShenkt says:

This looks very gimmicky, with all the grappling hooks and shooting glowing things and camouflage. The usual Monster Hunter games aren’t really all that fancy when it comes to gimmicks. Sure, you’ve got your exploding barrels and somesuch, but really it’s mostly about hitting a big monster with a big stick. But I guess that might be because they’re on the 3DS now, which can make movement and especially camera movement a bit clunky.
    I don’t know, I still like the normal Monster Hunter experience, where you have the gameplay variety through all the different monsters and all the different weapons and armors.
    But this could still be interesting, I guess.

• rushakoff says:

Yea they certainly wouldn’t add such gimmicks a like mounting monsters, or vaulting over them and firing guns down as you pass over, or weapons with jumping attacks or any crazy gimmicky movement systems like that. Totally unlike monster hunter.

5. Wonkyth says:

Set piece or no, I’m excited for this. :)

6. Falsadoom says:

My biggest question is, offline play fully supported or not?

Poll after poll in general platform sample composed of all player types consistently show 90%+ players consider single player content important to a game. It’s about choice, not which is better. Single player content also adds long term value as server dependence is eliminated.

• LexW1 says:

Offline play and single-player content are two different issues.

With games like MH, there’s not much difference between single and multi player content, either.

Whilst it would be nice if more games would have offline play, conflating it with “single-player content” does both a disservice. With MHW, we don’t know yet whether it’s “always online” or not. I’d be unsurprised if it was, given how enthusiastic the series has been about online stuff and multiplayer, but equally, the limitations of handhelds forced them to design it so the game didn’t have to be. Current Gen consoles + PC does not have the same limitation.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, MH has long been about hunting in 4-party groups, and it’s longevity is improved by online play, I think. I’m with you in that I love a good single-player romp, but MH is about as painless as it gets with the multiplayer stuff–on 3DS, at least. It’s core loop really supports jumping in and whacking stuff with others, and it hasn’t ever really been about story.

I’ve had lots of good hunts with randos, and the more experienced players are generally good at helping you out. Y’all even sit down for a nice meal together (ingredients you choose give buffs) before a hunt. It’s pretty chill.

7. Alien426 says:

He’s overcompensating for his teensy crossbow by carrying a sword made of rice paper filled with helium?!

Stuff like that (also look at this axe: link to mobygames.com) is just stupid and unnecessary. If you want a weapon with reach, make it a pole weapon.

Thulsa Hex says:

Monster Hunter is a game about making big, ridiculous weapons out of things you’ve killed, so that you can kill bigger stuff, allowing you to make more ridiculous weapons, and so on… you silly.

• Alien426 says:

So that may be the game’s lore, but then why doesn’t the dinosaur wear a tuxedo and dunce cap? And the dragon a monocle? And why doesn’t the player character have a big red nose that makes a foghorn noise when you squeeze it?

• zaygr says:

Also all the big weapons when you play them have this massive sense of weight and momentum; they definitely don’t feel like helium balloons, unlike say, *cough*god eater*cough*

Thulsa Hex says:

Very I nteresting to see this on PC! I hope it’s a good’un, but the franchise has suited 3DS so well that I’m definitely more interested to find out which iteration is coming to the Switch.

9. rushakoff says:

A monster hunter game on PC in the west is what I’ve always wanted ;-; and this looks great to me so far. Very excited!

10. Rince says:

Monster Hunter on PC? Gimme, gimme, gimme!!

And while we’re at that… can we have a Dragon Dogma 2, CAPCOM?

11. Psychomorph says:

Run away simulator.

12. Solidstate89 says:

It’s supposed to support up to 4-player co-op, but I’ve read nothing about it being an MMO. I don’t believe it’s that.

13. mercyRPG says:

This promises REAL FUN compared to Ubisoft’s stupid Skull and Bones pirate game.

Comment on this story