Dad Schlock: The Evil Within 2’s gameplay trailer

The Evil Within [official site] clicked for me the second time I played it, which makes me regret my slightly sniffy review when I read it back. It’s a schlocky tour through all kinds of horrors, riffing on director Miyakami’s own Resident Evil past as well as a host of other subgenres and tropes. Even though there’s a central plot underneath all the reality shifts, it almost feels like an anthology.

Yesterday’s cgi-heavy reveal trailer didn’t tell me a whole lot about what to expect from the sequel, but today’s “gameplay trailer” gives a better idea despite using some of the same scenes. It looks gorgeous, in that grisly, grimy sort of way.

While I was watching the first video at Bethesda’s press conference, I tapped the words ‘Silent Hill’ into my phone, which is something I do quite often without any meaningful context. There was context this time though – the lost daughter and the warped creatures and settings bring the first in the series, and the film adaptation, to mind. No Sean Bean though, sadly.

This time round, as Alice noted yesterday, there will be larger areas to explore and more freedom.

Set in Union, a crumbling city built using Lily’s mind as the Core, The Evil Within 2 presents a mix of closed off, claustrophobic environments that are reminiscent of the first game, and new, less linear areas that will give you the opportunity to explore at your own pace. You’ll be able to wander freely and poke through all the dark corners of the world at your leisure, but this is still a survival horror game, and ammo and resources will be scarce.

The fact that the phrase “a crumbling city built using Lily’s mind as the core” makese perfect sense to me may be the most frightening thing about this whole situation.

1. RichUncleSkeleton says:

I am so not interested in returning to Evil Within’s silly sub-Matrix dream world crap. Not interested in revisiting Sebastian Whatshisname’s family drama either. Whatever happened to zombies? Nobody does plain old zombies anymore.

2. Buggery says:

Any chance you can elaborate on why the first game clicked with you a second time through? Reviews for Evil Within were oddly contrasting – some people hated it, some people loved it – usually a combination of both. I really must go back and try to play more than the first couple of levels…

• dethtoll says:

It’s a fine game, but there’s a couple of sharp difficulty spikes and it drags on a little long (which even Sebastian comments on, a moment that made me laugh hard.)

3. noom says:

Did enjoy the schlockiness of The Evil Within but personally I just couldn’t cope with the tunnel-vision FoV. I know that’s a thing with horror/drama/whatevs (creates a more claustrophobic feeling and all that) but it drove me nuts.

Silly of me really but there you go…

4. LTK says:

I see Wheatley is back from space.

5. yogibbear says:

The first one was AWESOME. Can’t wait for this!

6. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I have to admit, I fell slightly in love with the monster at 0:37, rush-sneaking its way across the hallway, hoping you won’t notice it; that big, silly goof.
    If only you could talk to the monsters, wouldn’t that be something.

Comment on this story