Viva El Presidente! Tropico 6 announced for 2018

Heynong man, that's not right.

El Presidente will return to rule an island could-be paradise with Tropico 6 [Steam page]. Publishers Kalypso Media today announced the latest in the city-building manage-o-strategy series, which is due in 2018. A new developer is taking over from Haemimont Games, who had made Tropicos 3-5, bringing new ideas including expanding across archipelagos and, er, sending agents to steal monuments like the Statue of Liberty. Well, if you’re going to run a wacky dictatorship, you may as well dream big. Here, have a cinematic announcement trailer:

Development this time is handled by Limbic Entertainment, whose past games include Might & Magic X: Legacy and Angel König – Spinnfischen in Deutschland. What’s new with Tropico 6? Kalypso Media say in today’s announcement:

“Tropico 6 represents a bold new lease of life for the much-loved series, with new developer Limbic Entertainment bringing exciting new ideas to El Presidente’s highly-polished table, as well as a stunning new engine developed in Unreal Engine 4. For the first time in the series, manage extensive archipelagos, build bridges to connect your islands and establish new means of transportation and infrastructure. Send your agents on raids to steal the wonders of the world, including the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower. Customize your palace at will and give election speeches from your balcony, to win the favour of your subjects.”

Along with singleplayer, it’ll have competitive and cooperative multiplayer for up to four.

Tropico 6 is due out on Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2018.

1. Troubletcat says:

Tropico 5 was a massive disappointment to the extent that I still play Tropico 4 instead. Hopefully the new devs won’t make the same mistakes.

The new features sound kind of cool, so I’ll choose to be cautiously optimistic!

2. Cross says:

So far, so more Tropico. Unless they make more substantial changes to the game, it’s a big bag of nothing.

3. Ejia says:

Oh thank heavens I can build bridges. Back in Tropico 3/4, fudging the auto-terraforming mechanics when laying roads is fiddly, subways are expensive, and it makes absolutely no sense for an island nation to have no ferries.

I liked the idea of stealing monuments in Evil Genius, so that might be fun.

As someone who actually lives in a banana republic with actual communist rebels and martial law, I look forward to once again enacting an intellectualist government with an iron fist.

4. Konservenknilch says:

Funny, I just played around a bit in Tropico 5 last weekend and wondered if the series will continue. Glad to hear this. I’m pretty happy with what Limbic did in the Might and Magic franchise (Legacy and Heroes VII), so I’m cautiously optimistic.

DuncUK says:

I hope they do a better job of the scenarios in SP than Tropico 4. AS much as I enjoyed the laid back nature of the game, there was barely any need to engage with most of the mechanics. The same tactics worked in 4 as in 3, namely build a bunch of farms on day 0 that capitalise on whatever crop grows best. Weather a year or so of hardship, wait for the cash to start rolling in and then build more farms, eventually investing in whatever factory would increase the value of your goods (cigar factory, cannery etc). The resulting financial juggernaut would be enough to bankroll whatever your citizens needed an I’ve never yet come close to losing an election or a game. There was no need to indulge in corruption, no need to engage with tourism unless the scenario forced you to.

So it was a great “sit back and watch the ant farm” type of laid back game, but there was very little challenge. There was even a scenario that prevented you from building farms that was broken by the Plantador DLC, as they forgot to also ban plantations.

6. Neurotic says:

Seems like maybe Skylines has had an effect on someone’s thinking here, which is no bad thing. Although you just know it’s going to be *heaving* with DLC. I suspect that the Tropico series has had more DLC than any of us have had hot dinners.

7. Sin Vega says:

I wish they’d experiment with a new setting, like in Tropico 2. 5 iterations of the same thing is so boring.

8. grimdanfango says:

Why do I get the feeling that Tropico has entirely transitioned from “satire” to “clueless self-satire” at this point?

There’s a lot to mock about banana republic politics… but boiling it down to “we’re going to mimic the glorious and free USA, but fail like the goofy communists we really are” doesn’t strike me as cutting and topical so much as completely out of touch.

• Carlos Danger says:

Well watching what is going on in Venezuela think they need to sugar coat it to keep it on the light side.

Watching people starve to death while picking through garbage for food would not be that appealing game-play wise. Either would arresting bakers for illegally making brownies.

• grimdanfango says:

Sure, not saying it needs to be “gritty”… just that “aren’t communist dictators dumb?” doesn’t strike me as especially funny satire. Political satire requires a reasonable level of wit.

• modzero says:

Horrible Tropico dictators are mostly the capitalist brand. Communism works out very well in Tropico.

• grimdanfango says:

Well yeah, the game may play out differently, and with a lot more nuance… just struck me that the trailer itself is satirically tone-deaf.

• April March says:

I don’t even know if I’d call Tropico communist. I mean, it’s obviously based on Cuba, but the actual political system as it is in the game is closer to… let’s call it l’etat est moi.

• modzero says:

Of course it’s tone-deaf, it’s a computer game.

9. Bing_oh says:

Sending agents to steal monuments almost makes me wish they’d go full-on evil genius with a secret volcano lair under your quiet tropical third world nation…

10. xvre says:

Tropico is like FIFA now, only it iterates on a longer cycle, not yearly. Same game, same setting, marginally improved with each release.

I wish they would explore more diverse worlds, like they did with Tropico 2 (except the game was weak).

11. Eightball says:

Hmm, I skipped 5 because it seemed too similar to 4. Maybe I’ll pick up 6 and only get the even numbered ones going forward…

12. Solidstate89 says:

I’m going to run with my own narrative here and proclaim that the ability to steal national monuments means this will be a crossover of Tropico and Evil Genius and no one can tell me otherwise.

13. Lord of Beer says:

I liked Tropico 5, and I liked the eras – though it was annoying that the bonus missions had you building on the island only once.

Hopefully you can build slightly bigger too. There is usually so much of the map left unused.

14. hughie522 says:

All I can think of is this scene from Despicable Me:

“We stole the Statue of Liberty…the small one, from Las Vegas.”

link to youtu.be

15. Jaybird says:

I’m quite interested! I loved Tropico 4, & even Tropico 5, though it didn’t hook me to it like Tropico 4 did (& frankly the customization of your leader was far crappier in comparison to Tropico 4’s customization tools), was still a fairly good game in my opinion. Whatever happens, I’d love to see what they’ll make with it.

Comment on this story