LEGO Worlds blasting off to vintage Space in first DLC

LEGO’s classic Space set is coming to the Minecraftbut LEGO Worlds [official site] in its first themed DLC pack. To some, the sight of that little spacecar and the honking great spaceship might inspire nostalgic joy. Myself, I am reminded that the greatest shame of my childhood was stealing a LEGOman from a family friend because LEGO was a once-a-year birthday treat and I ached for that knight with a horse wearing a dress. As soon as I finish explaining about the DLC and how it’s due out in July for a couple quid, I will phone and apologise. First, let’s look at this trailer:

I didn’t steal any of those because, aside from the monorail, spacemen weren’t as cool. Also, because I felt sick with shame and fear and only the dazzling combination of knight hat + horse dress could break through that. But those sure are some old LEGO Space bits. Here’s what publishers Warner Bros. have to say:

“The Classic Space Pack will include brand new quests, characters, builds, and vehicles from the wildly popular LEGO® Space playsets. Players can blast off and explore the farthest reaches of space and embark on new adventures with friends as they travel across Worlds in a Space Buggy, fly through the atmosphere in the Space Cruiser, excavate the new Moon biome in the Mineral Detector, or land the one man spaceship on the new Classic Space Theme World!”

Classic Space is due on July 5th, priced at £2.99/$4.99.

LEGO Worlds left early access in March, after almost two years in early access. Curiously, the final big change of early access was hiding everything away behind quests and unlocks, but a sandbox mode was patched in during May.

Qazinsky says:

Hey, you take that back! Those space men hit me right in the nostalgia bone, they are plenty cool.

Now, I will concede that the knights are pretty cool too. Also, pirates.

2. Vedharta says:

….Kerbal Lego Program?

Neurotic says:

That was the Space LEGO of my youth. I was 6 or 7 when they started that line. Best stuff ever.

Big Dunc says:

Wow! That brought back some memories! I have quite a lot of Lego from that period of time, including the spaceship and buggies. I’m looking forward to playing with it again, er, letting my children play with it when they are a bit older.

5. andynamic says:

I, too, am guilty of this greatest childhood sin. Albeit, I didn’t steal a whole horse and dress (how could you?), but a Lego paddle. He had like 10 or so and I had none. My Lego pirates could paddle nowhere! … it bothers me to this day.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Is now the time to also confess my grievous sin? Forgive me, for I had the far cheaper knight on a dress-less horse, but I lost the little feathery plume from his helmet. I stole one from the Lego box at my primary school. I still suffer the guilt.

6. Dextro says:

I’m not sure if I should be happy or sad that most of the games’ players will only recognize this from Benny, the character in The Lego Movie.

Boy I feel old now…

7. Thankmar says:

That database sure gave me some nostalgiasms. I had a wonderful yellow (!) castle from 1978. Its worth over 200 euros today (not that I would sell it), but my mother took it to the kindergarten she worked in when I was older. I still love her, though.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I remember my brother had that yellow castle. Maaaan. *nostalgia*.

8. Rikard Peterson says:

I had neither castle nor horse with dress, but I had plenty of basic building blocks inherited from my older siblings, so I came up with a (very good, if I may say so myself) design for horses so that I could build both horses and a castle. In hindsight, that was much better than if I’d gotten those sets I dreamt of.

There are too many special pieces in the modern sets.

9. LennyLeonardo says:

Why on Earth am I the first person to post this:

SPACESHIP!!!!!

teije says:

Proud to say I still have all of my original space lego from those days – my parents kept it for years and now my kids use it. Still have most of the instructions too.

11. racccoon says:

I love this game, but, if you can’t be bothered to give something back, do not mention you got a DLC!
    Why pay for something they left out of the completed game in the first place.
    DLC is a bad word in today’s gaming.
    DLC does show, that the devs do not have any appreciation for you buying the original completed game in the first place. end of

12. Vulpis says:

Sweeet. Space was ‘my’ Lego Theme when growing up.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I had a moon base of this that we picked up in a second hand shop, though it was a bit before my time. But I saved for months for a Mega Core Magnetizer. Let me drive one of those around and I’ll be laying down the cash.

13. Jay Load says:

‘Space’ was my Everything theme back then. I had Space Lego and adored it. :)

14. bill says:

I remember wanting that exact yellow/blue/grey spaceship soooo bad. But at the time it was REALLY big and REALLY expensive.

These days it’d probably be considered a small cheap box set.

the nostalgia is strong with this… though I do wonder how much it’ll appeal to their main userbase, which i assume is mostly kids. (kids these days…)