Metal Gear Survive delayed into 2018

The still-surprising Metal Gear Solid V spin-off Metal Gear Survive [official site], where Snake’s MSF pals are sucked through a portal to a world crawling with zombies, has been delayed. Konami confirmed during E3 that it won’t make its planned 2017 launch, being pushed back a few months so they can work on it more. They want it to be good, y’see. It’s now expected in early 2018.

Metal Gear Survive is an open-world sneak-o-shooter where players also build bases and craft fortifications to fend off hordes of zombies with crystals where their heads were. Along with singleplayer, it’ll support four-player cooperative multiplayer.

Konami haven’t formally announced the delay with press releases and fireworks but Polgon say they did confirm at E3 that Survive has been “pushed back a few months”. They don’t say why but the usual reason for delaying a game is because its makers think it isn’t ready yet, yeah?

Surve is the first big Metal Gear game made at Konami since series creator Hideo Kojima split to start a new studio and pal around with Norman Reedus.

Given that they’re clearly not going to drop Metal Gear now Kojima is gone, I am glad to see Konami are at least doing something slightly different and using the guts of Metal Gear Solid V. I’d hope they will do something more interesting with the idea of wormholes snatching things off worlds, throwing together some truly weird things – not just zombies. Or they could grind Metal Gear into dust and keep going. Looking at what Konami have done to Silent Hill, ah, oh dear.

Here, this gameplay video from September 2016 shows some cooperative action:

• Ghostwise says:

You should at least buy them dinner first.

Also, that’s an awful lot of people to have sex with, so I recommend energy drinks and lubricants. Which you should keep in separate bags to avoid mistakes.

1. Ross Angus says:

Please enjoy the alt text.

2. Seafoam says:

Delay it indefinitely.

3. Troubletcat says:

Metal Gear is one of my top most favourite series of all time and I forgot this existed.

I wish I could go on forgetting it existed.

I’ll buy another Konami game after they release the rest of MGS V to both actually end the game and replace all the filler in the middle where the story should be. They should probably issue a public apology to Kojima and his team while they’re at it.

So never.

Mungrul says:

I love MGS V, quite like Kojima, an am cautiously optimistic about this. I think having fun with MGS V’s systems in co-op would be ace.

But the bickering between Kojima and Konami is becoming farcical. Kojima, criticising Survive, said that he didn’t think zombies belonged in the MGS world.
    Then what the fudge were they doing in MGS V?!

• Seafoam says:

They are not “zombies” they are… parasites?
      Honestly there’s a big difference between a zombie apocalypse survival type zombies, and soldiers who have been taken over by parasites secretly developed by a PMC. So I wouldn’t say he’s being hypocritical here.

5. Synesthesia says:

haha, no. Fuck Konami. On more important news, are there any updates on the new thing Kojima’s working one?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Nope, it’s wasn’t at E3 at all other than a couple clips we’ve already seen during the Sony press conference.

6. poliovaccine says:

I still struggle to understand who thought this was a good idea, and why. Or was it more just a gesture for Kojima? Like, hey you fuck, you wanna leave us then fine, but we still own your franchise, and we can do alllll kiiiinds of naaaasty shit to it… *turns to face human embodiment of MGS series in the form of a young girl tied to a chair and rakes its clawed fingernail gently and slowly under her chin* …isnt that right, sweetheart..? *turns back to Kojima on the vidscreen* Mooouahahahaha! *terminates vidscreen*

• Turkey says:

It’s a cheap asset flip. They’re just doing one last money grab before exiting the industry. Doesn’t matter if the game’s crap. They’re not trying to build a new legacy for MGS.

• thekelvingreen says:

Oh, I don’t know, I’m halfway interested. I enjoyed what we got of MGSV and I like cooperative games, so mashing the two together doesn’t seem like the worst idea to me.

That said, zombies are a bit dull and I’m not sure how I feel about buying a Metal Gear game after the bust-up between Kojima and Konami, but the game itself seems okay.

7. Shinard says:

That’s the least engaging voiceover I’ve ever heard.

Torn on the game itself. On the one hand, MGSV’s gameplay was great, so more of that doesn’t sound too bad. And they’ve got some kind of MGS3 injury system, which looks alright. But I didn’t get any sense of threat from those enemies (can’t you just outrun them?), and I’m opposed on principle to “co-op zombie survival Metal Gear Solid”.

MajorLag says:

This article has put into my imagination the idea of mashing up the Metal Gear universe and the Stargate universe.

I kinda want to see that happen now.

9. ColonelFlanders says:

Metal Gear Solid: Cash-grab of the Douchebags.

Go back to your pachinko machines, you’ll do a much better job stealing people’s money.

10. Heliocentric says:

I love that everyone has fallen for the Kojima-Konami fued. As if he’d be able to use the same name, have hundreds of staff as a Japanese Indie, and all the nods and hints.

Death Stranding is PT, is Silent Hill, it’s using the MGSV engine ffs.

But yes ‘#FuckKonami’& Kojima for this bit of brilliant performance art. You can’t buy attention like this.

• Heliocentric says:

Huh, I stand corrected, it’s not the MGSV engine, it’s Decima as used in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Huh..

But still I smell a rat, Sony is making the MGS movie and it is hiding MGS references in movies (and Assassins Creed curiously) while publishing a game for Kojima.

Survive doesn’t look exciting in isolation, but if they are pulling the wool over eyes that does cast it in a new light.

Comment on this story