Undead! Dying Light getting a year of free DLC

Though parkouring zombie-stabber Dying Light came out a good two years ago, developers Techland this week announced that they’ll release ten free ‘DLC’ packs(/content updates) over the next year. How nice! Dying Light is still pretty popular, see, with its peak concurrent player count over 8,000 today on Steam alone. So! Techland are working on new enemies, areas, and other odds and ends to add for free.

Techland said in this week’s announcement:

“Original content is already in the works and our fans can expect to face new challenging enemies, master new gameplay mechanics, solve more Harran mysteries, and even explore never-seen-before locations. This translates to ten pieces of DLC in the first twelve months of our continuous support – available free for all players, across all platforms.

“Continuous support means also more updates, gameplay tweaks, and community events. As we firmly believe in active collaboration between the design team and players, we hope this announcement will encourage our fans to share their thoughts, stories, and ideas about how we can improve their experience even more.”

I never touched Dying Light because I’d been put off by the jank of Dead Island, the zombie-slaying FPS which Techland made before this, but I know our Adam dug Dying Light and its expansion. He’s a sensible sort, and I do like co-op and parkour too.

1. Dominic Tarason says:

Dying Light was a huge positive surprise. Other than having a lot of zombies, it’s almost entirely unrelated to Dead Island in terms of design. Instead, it feels more like Far Cry spliced with Dead Rising. Zombies are an endless horde that you’ll never really clear out, and the real focus on the game is exploration and traversal.

Great to hear they’re continuing work on it.

• horrorgasm says:

Seriously? Other than the day/night cycle and some movement enhancements they’re almost identical. Same endlessly spawning zombies, same melee weapon system, same Ubisoft style sidequests, same gamebreaking bugs that delete your save or roll back your progress.

• RustyRenesis says:

Dude, just don’t. I can already see that don’t know what you’re talking about. Bug-wise, the game is amazingly well, and just a few days ago, they (the Devs) dropped a patch for the Weapon Duplication glitch. They’re always with eyes on the game and it’s bugs, and i, with the 200~ hours i’ve got on it, got Z-E-R-O to complain. For me, and so many others, it’s still the best Zombie game out there for many years to come.

• Fnord73 says:

The best thing in Dying Light was that it was balls hard the 10 hours after the tutorial. And then it evens out a bit, but still. You could fuck up in so many ways.

• CitizenX3639 says:

Easily top 5 best new ips and best co op of this generation. Excited for the new content and great idea I’m sure leading up to the reveal of the sequel. cant wait.

2. Gandor says:

So happy to hear this. I played the original twice, and DLC once, and I can’t wait to jump in for more. Now if they would just announce DL 2…

• Llamaman32 says:

I know right! How great would it be to continue the story from after Crane becomes infected!

• Gandor says:

Yeah, maybe don’t post spoilers :)
        Considering my ending in DLC I would really like to see how Crane can be in the sequel.

• elevown says:

That’s easy – your ending wasn’t the cannon one so it didn’t happen – with respect to DL2.

Though I suspect if they make one it will just be a new character – it’s not like he was even slightly interesting – and a new character will not tie down their design options.

• Smoof says:

Maybe I’ll actually finish the game after hearing this. Crane and the whole story of this game put me right off.

Everytime I try to go back to the game, it pushes me away with its silly story, crappy characters and acting. Which is too bad, I absolutely love the gameplay.

3. Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

I adore this game, have been playing through it again on the new hard mode. The survival horror dynamic of the first third of the game on this difficulty (while you’re still weak and vulnerable) is unmatched in my experience.

Hoping that Techland announce a new game soon.

4. Strangeblades says:

When does the free DLC start dropping?

Nauallis says:

This is one of the best open-world co-op games that I’ve ever played. Aside from about three of the main story missions, everything can be played cooperatively. It’s great on harder difficulties!

6. Stevostin says:

spoiler alert

I would love to play this but the end of the previous dlc made it clear I can’t keep on playing this and feel immersed now that my character is explicitely dead/changed yet somehow here I am again on the mission map doing normal errand. What a shame. How could they loose track of immersion like this ?

• Nekonomable says:

You forgot one thing. DLC wasnt cannon. So your immersion was left untouched.

7. racccoon says:

If this is going to become a trend! then DLC won’t be dirty word anymore!
    We’d only be left with dirt words like kickstarter, early access, founder & VR left! :)

8. wombat191 says:

that reminds me.. i picked up the expansion but never actually played it

• dethtoll says:

It’s really good but plays very differently.

• RichUncleSkeleton says:

I hated it. Driving the buggy from Half-Life 2 around a giant mostly empty countryside is the last thing I want from a parkour-based zombie survival game.

• FormerThings says:

I’m glad it’s not just me. I absolutely LOVED the first one, where making it across a few rooftops with a wrench as your only defence was a heart-pounding, immersive experience. Then I was really disappointed by the expansion which turned it into Need For Speed Zombies.

• titaniumapple1 says:

I also agree – LOVED LOVED LOVED the first one, HATED ‘The Following’ expansion

• Nekonomable says:

Weird…. I loved the following. If you dont like the buggy, dont drive it. But the new weapons are fantastic.

9. SuspiciousScout says:

This is a really big surprise to say the least. Dying Light is absolutely my favorite open world game, and I’m glad to see it’s still getting some love after all these years. I wonder what the DLC will be.

10. dethtoll says:

Dying Light was a surprise joy when I picked it up for very cheap in the Halloween sales last year. I think it occupied me for most of November. In a big way it’s what I wanted Dead Island to be (and what I bought DI thinking it would be.) Great characters, a solid realization of the gameplay DI was attempting to do, a fantastic soundtrack (remember climbing the radio tower?) and just overall one of the most solid games I’ve ever played. I would love for a sequel, but free DLC is nice.

11. Sandro says:

I like that they continue improving this game but… I first played the vanilla game, later I replayed the game with the expansion, and they expect me to replay it AGAIN for the third time?

No, thanks.

• Agnosticus says:

They don’t expect you to do anything! They’ll give you free stuff, take it or leave it!

12. karthink says:

Is there a DLC that removes the rubbish main story bits? I’d love to play this game in free roam with all the skills unlocked, but I cannot sit through its usual self-important, barely coherent, overly scripted AAA open-world game main quest line to get there.

The open world is enough, techland. It’s atmospheric and helps provide interesting sights and self-imposed goals for the player.

• Nekonomable says:

Then simply dont do the main story. You can earn XP other ways. Like farming drops.

13. Fiatil says:

I want this game with the zombies subbed out for something else. It has so many things I feel like I should love, but I recently bought it on Steam and realized within an hour that I just can’t play a game with zombies as the primary “life form”. The parkour, the skill trees, the melee combat, the buggy are all awesome and I want them in another game.

Is there a mod that changes all of the zombies to various dinosaurs?

AutonomyLost says:

I welcome the announcement and can not nearly wait for the reveal and subsequent release of a Dying Light sequel.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Alice, you are aware that you (eventually) get a grappling hook in this game, yeah?