Ooh, check out Gorescript for classic FPS funtimes

Sorry this isn’t a more in-depth post, but I’ve run out of time before my holiday is due to start, and I really want to tell you that Gorescript [official site] is brilliant fun.

Found while trawling Steam’s New Release list yesterday, this is a classic-style FPS, but oh so much more deadlier, and presented with some charmingly enormous pixels.

It’s very clearly a homage to the days of Doom, but with much faster feet, and the giant pixelly enemies are actually there in 3D. And there’s the slightly ‘modern’ twist that death is really punishing, and really easily found.

So you’ve got the expected pick-ups, health, shield, new weapons, and odd extras, and you’ve got corridors linking larger rooms, and you’ve got a rapidly growing pile of weapons to fire with. Then there’s the woefully missed joy of hidden doors in the walls, key cards to find to open vital doors, and a really peculiarly small variation of enemy types. It’s just that, wow, your health goes down fast. And without a quicksave, one wrong step sees you restart one of the 18 decent-sized levels from scratch. It’s quite the OOF, but replaying, working out the order you’re going to approach it from, getting better with each failure, is a huge part of what’s charmed me here.

There’s one big issue – the lack of physical feedback from enemies when shot. They squirt goo and blood, which rationalises the game’s name as you paint the walls, ceiling and floors in gloop, but they don’t flinch, stop, stagger or jolt, and that absence is really noticeable. It’s a tiny detail that makes such a colossal difference. Still, there’s a great deal of simple shooting fun to be had here despite it, not least because of the ridiculous tension of knowing one wrong step could see you back at the start of the level.

All the more extraordinary because it appears to be the work of one guy, Sergiu Bucur, but for the music. Kudos.

It’s only £6 on Steam right now, and despite having only played for a couple of hours, I’m certain I’m having a great time with it.

From this site

1. poliovaccine says:

Looks and sounds incredibly similar to the incredibly average Strafe – right down to the lack of physical feedback to the weapons.

2. Seafoam says:

I greatly despise the block design personally.
    It not even really “classic” or “retro” or “low-poly” it actually takes up more polygons than actual low poly art! It simply looks like Minecraft but it doesn’t even serve any actual purpose.
    It’s just unapologetically lazy and low budget.

• poliovaccine says:

See, I actually like that aesthetic in certain places where it makes its own kind of sense – like, say, Unturned, which juxtaposes the simplistic polygonal graphics with a ridiculously detailed system of simulation (blew my ass away first time I realized I had to actually untick the safety on my gun!), but it needs to have some reason to be, or else, yeah, for me as well, it falls as flat as it looks. I’m struggling to see anything to differentiate this title, which is a shame, cus I always want to be charitable towards an incredible feat such as a complete game from a one-man dev “team.” But in this case, I can only regret that this developer didnt devote their clearly considerable efforts to something more unique – or at least get this out there before Strafe.

• Seafoam says:

I do not like Unturned’s look, but it can be excused because it was made by a one novice developer, so you wouldn’t see me complaining. And the Minecraft style fits sandbox well.

Here? Ugh, it feels like a Minecraft mod. And Minecraft doesn’t ring well with classic shooters (If you didn’t know, Minecraft’s combat system is pretty mediocre).
        I would have gone with quake or PS1 style models, probably would’ve been as easy to make, and it could have served the game’s theme greatly. Hell, even DOOM sprites would have looked better in my opinion.
        But this just looks bad with wasted potential.

• Kasjer says:

Actually, sprites (decent ones) would require much more work. Original Doom sprites were made by scanning 3D clay models! They should really go with low poly look instead of voxels. It looks like cheap Minecraft knock-off, plays like watered down Quake 2 mod and without physical feedback is not very fun. It’s cheap, but Internet is full of much better quality maps and mods for Dooms and Quakes which let you to scratch that retro itch without any cost. Moreover, this game doesn’t bring anything truly new and imaginative to the table, it’s just “look at this, it’s fast and retro” approach.

• haldolium says:

Better as Strafe, good sounddesign, forgettable game in general.

3. Tempus Fugit says:

I bought this after playing the demo. It’s simple but it’s fun. Definitely better than Strafe which just left me annoyed and then bored. I like the level design as well.

4. Syrion says:

Seeing the screenshot at the top of the page, I was really hoping that that blue mess of Lego bricks isn’t the weapon. Turns out it is, and the others don’t look any more favorable.
    I’ve got to agree with the other comment, the whole asthetic looks really bad, despite my love for retro looks.

But, the game really does look like a proper old-school fps in every which way, without any twists and turns to make something different out of it. Just from the trailer I thought one level part was even a carbon copy of a Doom 2 level. It isn’t, but it looks so similar.
    But², judging from the trailer and John’s words, that also means the game got absolutely nothing going for it that isn’t there in a much better form already, and definitely better look and feel. So, having just played the Dooms and Quakes and Unreals and Wolfensteins in the last 1 1/2 years, I see no reason to get this.
    I still hope this actually catches on as a proper trend, Truly-Oldschool-FPS®, without any Roguelite nonsense (unless done really good for a change without just abusing gamers’ grind addictions). Just a little less forgettable.

5. April March says:

I’m usually the one to defend Minecrafy aesthetics, but in this game it doesn’t do anything for it and comes close to giving me a headache.

MajorLag says:

John, buddy, the pixels are normal sized. It’s the voxels that are enormous. You know, voxels? Polygons pretending to be 3D pixels? Didn’t really become popular until Minecraft and now everyone wants them?

Personally, I’d have preferred some big ol’ chunky 320×200 pixel action. While I don’t hate these bloxels as much as everyone else seems to, they aren’t really doing it for me either. I like the minimalism in the assets, but the colors seem kinda grimey. I feel like they would fit better if they were brighter and better contrasted with the dark environment. Like CGA full-luminescence bright.

Comment on this story