What are we all playing this weekend?

An illustration from 'Playtime Rhymes: verses for the children'

Goodness me, that’s the end of E3. For me, at least. Our Adam has been out in Los Angeles (he hopped off the plane at LAX with a dream and his cardigan) and will have so very much to tell us about all he saw if he ever escapes the maze of the convention center. But the rest of us, we can stop looking so much at games that aren’t out and get back to ones which are.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: [Adam is missing, presumed… pumping iron at Muscle Beach? -ed.]
Alec: Well, I started playing that there Horizon Zero Dawn on that there PlayStation, partly because it seems PROFESSIONALLY PRUDENT to have one of the more feted open world games as a point of comparison in reviews of PC stuff, but mostly because, sure, robot dinosaurs. Within about an hour I had a pretty clear sense that I would somehow need to scrape together approximately one million hours if I was ever to make decent inroads into it, however, so I suspect I will spend my weekend’s gaming time staring dubiously at its launcher icon and trying to decide whether to commit or not. And then I’ll just go watch Sexy Skeletor dance in Tekken 7 some more instead.
Alice: I need to sleep forever. What I will do is play Plunkbat and the Binding of Isaac daily runs – two games which feel like wrapping myself in a nice blanket and oh god I need to sleep.
Brendan: Now that the yearly news crucifixion is finally over, I can go back to RiME and complete that. The wee lad needs help. Or maybe I’ll die a few times in Dead Cells. I miss the rolling and stabbing, and they’ve recently added some fiery new weapons. That second boss won’t kill itself.
Graham: Maybe it’s time to give Wolfenstien: New Order a go? I’d almost meant to play it but simply never got to it, but I like the look of the sequel a lot. Or maybe – more likely – I’ll just play Caveblazers, bashing through (and quickly dying) in the daily challenge and rolling the RNG dice with hopes of getting some good weapons and shrines in the regular mode.
John: This weekend I’m on holiday! Well, technically I go away Monday, but I’m counting from the end of Friday as off work. Which is a giant pain in the arse, as I’ve just discovered the splendid shooter Gorescript, and the lovely RPG Nadia Was Here, and I want to be playing both. I’ll be playing both. Shhhhh.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Deadly Premonition. I might also visit the overpowered zoo. If there’s time I could try to fit in a spot of fighting some anthropologists.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

Lars Westergren says:

I just finished Little Nightmares, it was great.

Every time I see “Do you really want to quit Dota?” I want to scream “YES! BUT I CAN’T FOR SOME DAMN REASON”.

Maybe take another stab at completing PoE White Marsh. I’m stuck at a fight against 5 Battery banshees. Everyone gets terrified, petrified, then dead.

Andy_Panthro says:

A bit of Legend of Kyrandia, and a bit of Horizon: Zero Dawn. Maybe something else if I feel like it.

• criskywalker says:

Legend of Kyrandia is such a great game. Except for the damn maze.

And I also remember loving Hands of Fate.

Maybe someday I’ll replay them.

3. haldolium says:

EVE… and Kindergarten, which is surprisingly interesting and has a great soundtrack.

4. Pich says:

Just reached Blood-starved Beast yesterday in Bloodborne and fuck poison.

• Minglefingler says:

Pretty sure you can get some poison resistant gear in the Cathedral Ward, go left after entering through the main gate and down some steps after you kill two of those church pricks. As someone who’s currently at the Nightmare Frontier I wholeheartedly agree with fuck poison, fuck frenzy too.

• fish99 says:

Don’t know how you feel about getting tips, but I’ll just say there’s ways to deal with poison.

• Pich says:

i’ve already watched a full LP years ago, so tip away.

• fish99 says:

Buy a bunch of antidotes and poison shouldn’t be a problem, plus there’s 3 in the boss room behind the pillar at the end.

• Pich says:

oh i’ve been using antidotes already, the problem is using them without getting mauled or dying by the poison (especially after its grab attack)

• fish99 says:

Don’t let it grab you :) This goes for almost all bosses in From games, but you should always be trying to get to its side or behind to attack, and always get some distance before you try to heal. Remember you can still run while locked-on in BB if you need to get away. If there isn’t a chance to get to its side/back then stay back and be patient. There’s usually a chance to attack after the boss has done a big move, like a charge/slam/jump.

Once you’ve delivered a few attacks, either dodge the inevitable back/side attack and rotate to stay behind, or get away.

• MikhailG says:

fudge this boss I am still stuck at it months later

5. The Bitcher III says:

Time to uninstall some crap and focus on Dishonored 2, Prey, PCars. I’d play a different racing game, but I have rotten input lag on Dirt 4, Forza Horizon and Assetto Corsa.

Ninja Dodo says:

I am belatedly playing Middle Earth: Shadow of Murder. The world doesn’t really do anything for me. On the surface it’s all a bit loretastic grimdark fantasy and it’s too far removed tonally and narratively from Tolkien to really capture the Lord of the Rings atmosphere which I am otherwise a fan of. The Nemesis system is pretty great though and between the solid Assassin-like climbing and Arkham-esque combat the gameplay is enjoyable.

• Unsheep says:

That was my experience as well. I liked the combat and stealth parts, the “beast-control” thing was very cool as well.

The Nemesis system was interesting enough, but I feel they could have more complex things with it.

The game world though, quickly got boring to me, it all looked the same. It was unimaginative and lackluster.

• Iamblichos says:

I have been replaying it because I’m so chuffed about the sequel. I had forgotten how utterly infuriating the few bad points were, however. Why can orcs sometimes see me through walls for the stealth quests? Why am I forced to go on these stupid hunt missions with the Scots midget when they have nothing to do with the storyline? Why am I forced to do a WoW boss fight with a graug apropos of utterly nothing in the actual story line? So many questions; no real answers.

• Vacuity729 says:

Well, there’s a reason RPS described it as one of the defining “7 out of 10” games.
        I really liked the Nemesis system; it’s quite limited, but it’s the first of its kind. There was also that moment when I realised that in so many, many ways, I too was a very bad guy. That may have been sometime after I started brutalising Orcs in front of their friends.

• jonahcutter says:

“Brutalizing orcs”.

This is kind of a projection sensibilities onto what is pretty much a universally evil foe. Evil in that not one of them would not hesitate to murder you and everyone else to advance their own power.

You’re not “brutalizing” orcs. Your actually acting very much as orcs do all the time. To other races/species. And even, without any hesitation but potentially losing the encounter, to their own “friends”.

“Brutalizing” orcs is orcish culture. You are, in essence, respectfully participating in their culture the way the culture is structured. You are becoming orcish in the game essentially. This is why the “evil human terrorizing orcs” criticisms of the game so missed the mark. That’s a non-Tolkien-universe sensibility projected onto a fantasy culture that is literally all about brutalizing each other for gain.

• damien says:

thank you for so succinctly explaining why this game has bounced off me for so long (and on so many attempts to make it stick).

i’ll wander questless in the Witcher 3 for hours, happy to find random bit and dross, but SoM is just so… brown.

7. dangermouse76 says:

A mixture of The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Civ V. Once again that twat Caesar acted all whiny because I’m doing better than him.

Now he’s off denouncing me for no reason !

Self fulfilling prophecy dictates I give him one ( steady ) now.

8. caff says:

Going to reinstall SOMA. Seen too many comments from people saying you should have kept playing cos the end is great etc.

• Chopper says:

Hmm, not sure the ending is going to be a silver bullet if you weren’t enjoying it up to that point. Was there a reason you stopped playing?

9. Unsheep says:

MotoGP 17, MXGP 3, RaceRoom and Automobilista.
    Continuing the various Championships I’ve started.

StarCrawlers and 8-Bit Invaders as well.
    Hopefully some Euro- and American Truck, trying out the big cargo DLCs.

10. Sleepery says:

Pip! Why would you fight anthropologists? They’re lovely people!

*gathers nearby anthropologists into a protective hug*

11. Glubber says:

Steel Division. I managed to slog throught the very unfriendly mp arrangement and UI and am getting better at the game. Not noob friendly, but I’ve gotten used to it.

12. Minglefingler says:

Bloodborne. Going to start the dlc soon, mopping up a few areas in the main game first. I hate frenzy.

13. Serenegoose says:

The same thing I’ve been playing for weeks now – which makes it unique in 4x terms. Endless Space 2. I’m trying to figure out how to play as the Vodyani, because they’re quite far off what I normally play, being as they are aggressive jerks. Except it’s self-defeating to kill other empires, because you need at least a few planets alive but weak to harvest so you can grow. That and you literally cannot take other people’s systems without your own ark in orbit to claim it – it just disappears to be owned by nobody.

But yet, every time I go to heck someone up, a little voice whispers ‘but what if you attack them and lose, that’d be worse than nothing…’ Which is unhelpful, frankly.

Beyond that, playing Prey. Probably the best game at capturing the feeling of being in a space station that’s coming apart that I’ve played. Every groan, thump, or distant explosion makes me shudder. It’s very nice so far, but the tension means I only play it in little bursts.

14. GomezTheChimp says:

Wot I definitely won`t be playing is Dirt4. 3 hours in and I`ve had enough. On the other hand, Raceroom have just released a new car, the `X-17`, which is, in fact, a replica of those screaming V10 F1 monster cars of yore. This car and the Nordschleife make for a far more terrifying prospect than any horror game.
    I`ve racked up over 650 hours on Raceroom so far and it still feels fresh to me.

Thirith says:

Definitely some Arma 3 coop with friends, and I’m planning to return to Skyrim for a week or two. There’s also Horizon Zero Dawn, which I’m enjoying a lot on PS4.

Captain Narol says:

As WOTC made another abysmal strategic mistake by announcing they are already stopping adding expansion sets to Magic Duels to “make room for their (future) new product” (which doesn’t even have a release date yet), I’m voting with my feet.

Following the recommandations of many RPS regulars, I’m planing to get started in Hex this week-end.

WOTC had gold in their end with the “Magic” license and they are just doing all the wrong moves on the digital front, no way I ever give them a cent again.

17. lglethal says:

Total Warhammer VC Play through. I’m 150 turns in, have won the short campaign, and beginning to wipe out the dwarves, but I just cant stop… I need to stop… But just one more turn…

And the worst part, despite the fact that I have so many other games that i want to play, the thought in my head is that when i finish the VC campaign, I’ll have a go at the Dwarf campaign… I think something is wrong with me… ;)

18. aircool says:

For some reason, I find myself gluing together plastic space soldiers and then painting them.

AutonomyLost says:

Jesus Christ, this log-in system…

Also, for me it’ll be GTA V on the PC (still never finished the campaign and had a hankering for its virtual world) and either Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4.

20. James says:

I’ll mostly be playing Blackwake, an early access pirate-them-up that RPS looked at a while back. I don’t think the folks here liked it that much, but its provided the most fun I’ve ever had in a multiplayer game. A close game with a good captain where the crew works like a well oiled machine and every cannonball counts brings a grin to my face extremely rare for a videogame.

Ben King says:

I’m away from my PC and console this week housesitting. So for me it’s going to be drawing a D&D map on isometric grid paper shamelessly borrowing Dyson Logos’ cross hatch shade technique, trying out the RPS podcast, harvesting wild serviceberries at a local city park (I think they are North American only, sorry kids), and probably reading more of this REALLY raunchily disturbing Anne Rice novel from the library. It’s like every imaginable abusive relationship glamorized with fantastic sex, rolled into one big book, and it makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. Probably my first and last Anne Rice.

22. fish99 says:

Bloodborne, 4th playthrough, NG+ (2nd character). It was a quality build but I’ve switched to the Moonlight Greatsword so I’ve been piling points into arcane since there’s nothing else to spend them on at level 100+.

Just reached Rom. It is amazing how straight forward the game can be when you have experience. I actually quit Bloodborne at Father Gascoigne before completing my first playthrough. This time around I don’t think he even hit me, I just destroyed him inside 30 seconds. I’m sure Ludvig and Kos will still be challenging when I reach them though.

I wish there were lots of games this good.

Might also play some of the following: Witcher 3, Forza Horizons 3, Gears of War 3.

23. Morcane says:

Gwent. Always Gwent.

24. Ghostwise says:

Bits of Crashlands when I can.

• Jon Targ says:

How far along are you? I have Crashlands on my tablet but find it too repetitive after a couple of hours. The fetch quests especially bored me.

• Ghostwise says:

Restarted from scratch to take notes for articles. But yes, IMO it’s more enjoyable in relatively short bursts of gameplay than in hours-long sessions.

25. Jon Targ says:

First time posting although I have been following this site for years. For me, this weekend is my CCG weekend: installing Hearthstone on my phone after skipping for the last 2 years, resuming Duelyst after a 6-month break.

Yesterday, in Duelyst, my opponent conceded while I had only 1 HP left. Best feeling ever! And it’s from a F2P game!

john_silence says:

Welcome Jon! Long may you Targ!

• Jon Targ says:

Thanks John! Never must you keep silence welcoming a newcomer! (pardon the terrible pun!)

I’ve been using this nick name for a few years signaling to other GRRM fans and hoping to find a common cause in this rough world. Hope you’re a GRRM fan as well!

26. Mister eX says:

Still Prey, but I’m getting close to ending it (currently @ 32 hours). This game had a serious grip on me. Last saturday I played it for about 6 hours continously, which doesn’t tend to happen since… I’m working? (~ 9 years) Probably. I’m committed to finish it now, at which point I’m going “back” to DOOM. After I’ve finished that, I’ll have a lot of space for new sh*t to install… :D

27. yogibbear says:

Final Fantasy X HD version on steam. I borrowed the original on PS2 from a friend back in the day, but could not get past waking up on the beach (i.e. <1 hr in) due to a scratch on the disc. Started it on Wednesday. Currently post-wedding scene ~30 hrs in.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Funny exactly where I am now. Wonder if this game still opens up at some point as the plot seems to close up now.

• yogibbear says:

My understanding is just after where we’re at you get full control over the flying machine thing and then can go back to wherever you want and there’s new bosses there hidden all over the place you can now challenge instead of doing the final 10 hrs of stuff. So there’s 100 hrs of optional grind AKA complete 100% spheres for everyone to do the 4 million HP bosses, or another 10-ish hrs if you’re taking it slow like me to the end if you ignore the optional stuff. I only played 3 games of optional Blitzball to unlock Attack Reels for Baka. TLDR: it stops being linear in about 2 hrs from where we’re at.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Don’t know about the opt. content. When I finish the story there are already FF X2, IX and the one with Lightning waiting in the queue.

28. Chaoslord AJ says:

Started Tinder but getting no matches (as male), lol. Maybe I should play Reality or stick to FF X then X2.

29. malkav11 says:

Lots and lots of Hex, I expect. They’ve just started another holiday event (Questmas, which introduced one of my favorite cards in the entire game last time – a surprisingly flavorful recreation of Settlers of Catan in a single ridiculously complicated card in a TCG) and of course the holiday card must be farmed. But also they’ve now announced that the next card set will be accompanied by a major revamp and expansion of the game’s first PvE content, the Frost Ring Arena. Which is good, but does mean I’d like to get a few more runs in of the old version first because a) it’s liable to be significantly harder to full clear in the new version and b) while they are not removing the old rewards, they are reducing their drop rate in favor of the new ones they are adding, and there’s a number of nice cards and equipment I still haven’t managed to get to drop, so lowering the odds of that won’t do me any favors on that front.

Still plugging away at Andromeda, and DOOM, also. And Prey and Apollo Justice are still on the docket, though I haven’t played any of either in a couple weeks. Also, nabbed Titanfall 2 in the ongoing Origin sale, and have been fiddling a bit with Unexplored, although I don’t care for the combat in that so I may not give it much more of my time. Which is a pity.

Debating whether to pick up Ori and the Blind Forest at its current 50% discount. Obviously it’s well regarded, but it’s a platforming-centric Metroidvania and I’m not super into platforming, especially difficult platforming. On the other hand, supposedly there’s an easier mode now and maybe that will help? I do really like Metroidvanias.

quasiotter says:

I don’t know but I want to make a tutorial on WASD because I can’t find any good ones on the INTERNET.

THPS2 for GBA, definitely.

31. Chopper says:

I’m away from home this weekend so it’ll probably be Out of the Park Baseball on the laptop. I’m converting my team from small ball to power hitting this offseason, and probably taking a hit on defense as a result. I have a bit of a logjam in the outfield while still not having a true centerfielder.

Gibberish.

32. Mi-24 says:

well I should be devoting the weekend to packing up from my current flat before moving but i’ve rediscovered watch dogs 2 and made it to the final mission of dishonoured 2 so …

33. second_hand_virgin says:

Bored to death by teen angst of Night in the Woods returned to mindless fun of Nuclear Throne, mixing it a bit with Orwell (two episodes so far, having more fun clicking timelines than I expected. But why it’s always artsy types that trying to start a social revolution is beyond my working class comprehension)

34. Cyrus says:

Completed Bioshock Infinite, I might as well finish the DLC’s. Then it’s back to Witcher again.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Prey, Tekken 7 and Dead Cells. I have nothing else to add.

john_silence says:

I tried Fear Equation; cool premise but in-game everything seems so arbitrary and they’ve buried down the fun under shovel loads of sheer boredom. Reams upon reams of shabby post-its and clumsy manuals? Please. They sure didn’t get the memo from RPS’ recent feature on usability and tutorials.
    Shame, as their Zafehouse Diaries was more accessible and quite gripping. Oh well, there’s always Deadnaut.

Since it’s getting hot in Paris I fancied getting into snow-clad Kona; the French Canadian voice-overs are a hoot and the exploration is definitely interesting, but I got motion sickness from my latest session. Strange, as this only ever happens to me when playing first-person adventure games in warm weather. Eleusis, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, now this. A disconnect between the impetus I’m used to from shooters and these games’ slightly more sedate pace perhaps?

I am eager to get into another one of my Gog’s summer sale picks, and that is The Signal from Tölva.

particlese says:

I look forward to hearing how Adam fared at E3 wearing only a cardigan.

I started playing ESO relatively early today, and I think it may have burned me out on videogames for the weekend. I didn’t even get a chance to play Devil Daggers. ;_;

So, probably messing around with a Raspberry Pi and (separately) pots of soil with green things in them. Two startlingly sprawling baby rosemary plants have just poked their heads above the surface from as many seeds, which was pretty exciting. I may end up transplanting one.

38. kalirion says:

Echoes of Aetheria. Never seen an RPG Maker game do isometric grid tactical combat before.

39. jezcentral says:

Payday 2. After getting into it at LeachLAN 14 last weekend, I’m ready for more.

P.S. You should all try going to a LAN party. It’s the best way to game.

• Cyrus says:

I’m sure it’s fun, however for me there is simply not enough people to complete such a task in my surroundings.
      Maybe in my final years in school.

Thus only singleplayer games for me and I’m fine with that. Even though the LAN thing sounds interesting.

40. Wulfram says:

Mass Effect Andromeda still. Now modded a bit to clear out some of the clutter on the UI and shut SAM up a bit.

41. drezworthy says:

Just fell right in to Steamworld Heist and should finish the main campaign by the end of the weekend. Flying tandem with a buddy in War Thunder, dying a bunch of times in Gonner, *might* start playing Tyranny which is the nearest on the horizon I think. Or perhaps the Deponia series finally.

42. welverin says:

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, I am hooked.

I will need to sneak in the weekly missions in SFV at some point however.

43. JOBN says:

So I got RiME to play with my 3 year old. He’s not much of a talker yet so I’m kind of happy about that in the case of this game. I figured. Hey. Non violent adventure puzzle game. That sounds good. Wow that was depressing. I’m glad I didn’t need to explain it to him. Finished that this morning so we’ve moved on to Zelda Breath of the Wild. I’m hoping this will be less depressing. Admittedly more violent though. We also play a little Minecraft which I just played for my first time the other day. That game is more complicated then I expected. His attention span for that one is shorter though maybe it’s just that I’m boring on that one. I find playing a game he can watch is my best chance to get any game time in.

44. Ejia says:

I’m playing “Where Did I Buy This Game?”, because I have lost track of which DD service has what title. Did I buy it on Steam? Is it on UPlay? Have I got it on GOG?

45. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I have been playing quite a few games. Amongst them Thomas was alone (just finished it), and it’s nice. I love how it all comes together.

Recently started playing Tyranny and it’s mostly good so far. I wouldn’t mind a few more choices and/or in-depth conversations. Given that you’re either working against the Man, subverting the Man from the inside or working with the Man (in one or more ways), I’d have imagined that there’s be a greater emphasis on non-violent struggle, power plays and the like. But I’m just past the first bit, so maybe there’ll plenty of opportunities for that.

Aside from those I’ve been playing two ccgs: Legends (the Elder Scrolls one) and Eternal. By the way, nicely recognisable names there devs. They’re decent enough. I think I prefer Legends, mostly because the interface and presentation feels.. better?

Grizzly says:

Dirt 4 Dirt 4 Dirt 4 Dirt 4
    Also, F1: 2016, which I picked up after I found out that Dirt 4 was really good, after I found that I actually enjoy F1 (thanks Max Verstappen), and as it turns out I have never not enjoyed a codemasters racing game. Hmm.

Wolfenstein: The New Order satisfies my recent urge to kill nazis after seeing the New Colossus revealed. It’s still a very good shooting game, striking a neat balance with killing nazis and having a story (which mostly revolves around contrasting the inhumanity of the nazis against the humanity of the people Blasko is fighting for). It’s a very well rounded thing, and if you haven’t played it I seriously recommend you do. It sets the benchmark for single player shooters IMO.

47. PiiSmith says:

The weekend is nearly over and it was Quake Champions (which I find highly underrated / less popular than it deserves) and Battlefield 1.

48. dylan says:

I’m very limited for time, but I think I’ll give Expedition: Viking-ing a shot. Any thoughts on it floating around out there?

• Someoldguy says:

I’m still in the early stages but I’m enjoying it so far. Better than Expeditions: Conquistador. The only downside is the rather long loading times. I believe they’re still working on those.

Comment on this story