Diablo 3 adding weekly runs with other players’ builds

An unconventional form of weekly challenge run is coming to Diablo 3 [official site] with the introduction of Challenge Rifts in the next big patch, Blizzard have announced. Every week, Challenge Rift players will play through the exact same Greater Rift with the same character and item build – a character copied from an actual player’s account. Challengers will take on the same Rift with the same build originally used to beat it. It’s an interesting idea which might force players into some unconventional play styles. I dig that! And the reward for beating the original player’s time? Loot, obvs, and bragging rights. Have a look:

Blizzard explain:

“Challenge Rifts are a weekly static version of a previously completed Greater Rift. To create a Challenge Rift, we pull a Greater Rift run directly from a player’s account. Once we have that snapshot, we make that exact character, including their items, paragon levels, skills, and gear available for everyone to play.

“This also includes an exact copy of the Greater Rift they completed with that character. Enemies, pylons, and the dungeons you encounter will all be exactly as they appeared when the original player completed their run. If you beat the original runner’s time, you’ll be rewarded with a weekly satchel filled with bounty and crafting materials and some Blood Shards.”

A new Challenge Rift will arrive every Monday.

I do hope that committed pranksters will start playing Greater Rifts with oddball builds in the hope that they’ll become Challenge Rifts.

I play almost every daily run in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and do enjoy knowing that other players are facing the exact same problems as me – especially on days which use strange preset builds. Challenge Rifts sound a lark for that. These will be repeatable, rather than one-and-dones, so players can hone times to climb the leaderboards. That’s not how I prefer my dailies but hey, grind and optimisation are big parts of Diablo.

Challenge Rifts are due to arrive as part of Patch 2.6.0, which doesn’t have a firm release date yet. Folks on the test realm – which also includes the upcoming Necromancer DLC class – are getting to poke at these. Check the test realm patch notes to see what’s coming.

From this site

Drib says:

I enjoyed D3 despite all the multitude of faults with it.

But I dunno about going back just to do speedruns.

• Xocrates says:

D3 is… weird. It’s a pretty terrible Diablo game, but a rather decent Torchlight sequel, as it drops the atmosphere and pacing of Diablo while fulling embracing the loot and gibs approach of Torchlight.

As such, the campaign is rubbish, and the early levels boring, but I do enjoy the more freeform Adventure mode and still pop back for some grinding every once in a while.

Frankly, while I’m not sure this update will bring me back, I do think it is the kind of stuff that works well within the game.

2. MrLoque says:

If you’re not an elitist… D3 is in good shape, in my opinion. It came out as a huge pile of crap and it turned to be a pretty cool and solid game in the latest years. I am not sure the latest expansion will be worth the money (price still to be defined but I doubt it will be cheap) but no matter what… people will throw their money at Blizzard anyway.

• automatic says:

Nah. WoW made Blizzard arrogant. D3 is nowhere near the quality of their former games. The unique art style and fast pace gaming is there but it seems like they are trying to please a too diverse playerbase to make it a good enough game. IMO the last masterpiece from Blizzard was Warcraft 3. Everything they made after that feels lacking somehow.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

You forget it’s not the same small Blizzard (north) from back then.
        The old B. in name only.
        Diablo 3 is also Diablo in name only, Diablo was a horror game with Christian influences and the antagonist wasn’t a cliched kid comic villain back then.

• ludde says:

I feel the same way. Maybe it’s the studio getting bigger, maybe it’s me growing older, but everything after vanilla WoW has been pretty bland.

3. level12boss says:

Recently taking Crawl for a spin really made me realize what a drab and soulless (haha, get it?) product D3 remains today. Not so much in terms of core gameplay mechanics (which are admittedly rock solid if not tremendously interesting) but more in terms of the complete lack of character, atmosphere and imagination. And this isn’t just because the game has been out for years, it was like that on the day it was released.

Contrast that with Crawl, which is totally gonzo from the beginning, and instantly throws you into a high-stakes narrative and an interesting life vs death vs possess the furniture mechanic.

Why grouse? Because as I kid / young adult I remember absolutely delighting in D1 and D2. My nostalgic impulses want to go back, but the franchise hasn’t done enough to remain entertaining. It’s too “safe”, too corporate. Needs a little less Katy Perry, a little more Slayer.

4. TechnoJellyfish says:

Yes! Yes! A singular class DLC! That’s what every D3 player ever wanted from Blizzard. Right? Guys? Hello?

• Fiatil says:

I’m here! I know this is wacky, but a ton of people are actually interested in paying $15 to play one of the best classes from Diablo 2 all updated and fresh in Diablo 3. Bananas huh?

5. Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s not a bad game but I can’t really grind the same stuff every season. They should add a new chapter and characters and finish the storyline.

6. trjp says:

I think D3 is an absolutely fantastic game – only problem I had is that I literally ‘wore it out’ having tried every class/viable build available though a few seasons…

The new class will be an obvious reason to return and I think this is a really solid idea too

People say it’s not a good Diablo game but I don’t really care – it’s the most refined ‘loot grind’ game there is, nothing really comes close to it when it comes to “how many things can you kill quickly using the most weird and wonderful combination of attacks”.

7. Slazer says:

Loot 2.0 and the Addon afterwards turned this into an amazing game as long as you play adventure mode.

The story mode is not even lame, it makes me angry as it is not even unable to build on its predecessors, it shits on them. Remember the way you could occasionally see the silent wanderer in D2? Nah, lets make Diablo a manga sex demon with tons of dialog, and all the other bosses too!!! Why the hell should all these eternal evils keep talking to me about some bullshit for the whole campaign?

After being so happy with loot 2.0 I expected the new team to drasticaly improve story mode in act 5 but it was just a little less shit than the other 4. I would love to see them create a new Diablo game instead of saving D3s corpse.

• Asurmen says:

Diablo itself barely had any dialog as it only formed towards the end of the original game.

By occasionally you mean once in Act 3 in D2?

Comment on this story