Diablo 3’s Necromancer DLC rising next week

The skeleton-raising, corpse-exploding Necromancer class will arrive in Diablo III: Reaper of Souls [official site] with the launch of its ‘Rise of the Necromancer’ paid next week. The paid add-on brings back the Necromancer class introduced in Diablo II, complete with his (and now her) tooth-grinding chums. Blizzard today announced that it’ll launch alongside the next update on June 27th (or later, in certain corners of the world), priced at £13. Here, see what the class gets up to:

I do like the outfit dressing your Necromancer up like armoured catacomb saints (who were not saints but rather anonymous corpses pulled from ancient Roman catacombs then dressed up, encrusted with gold and jewels, and presented as martyrs).

Anyway! If you’ve played Diablo II, you’ll likely know the Necromancer. If not, hey, it’s a necromancer. It can raise skeletons and golems to punch people, fling poison, and attack with spells of blood, flesh, and bone. Check out their skills this-a-way.

Along with the character class, the DLC gives two extra stash tabs and two character slots — handy for starting new characters — along with cosmetic doodads including wings, a pet, a portrait, a banner, and a pennant. Stuff. Baubles.

Rise of the Necromancer will cost £12.99/14,99€/$14.99 and will officially launch once patch 2.6.0 is live. The maintenance period launching that patch will begin at 10am Pacific on the NA/SA/ANZ regions, 10pm UK time (11pm CEST) on the European servers, and on the 29th in other regions, Blizzard explain. Downtime is usually only hour or two but can be longer, so there’s no simple answer to “When does Diablo 3’s Necromancer DLC launch?”

Patch 2.6.0 will also bring the interesting-sounding new weekly challenge mode, where players tackle Greater Rifts using other players’ characters and builds.

For a long time I’d hoped to become a ghost, looking forward to the peace and quiet, but I think I’ve changed my mind: after I die, I want to be a skeleton. They’re a great bunch of lads, always up for the craic. Whenever you hear an echoing cackle, you know some skeletons are on the lash nearby. The booze simply cascades down their head, shoulders, knees, and toes onto the floor, of course, but it’s a classic jape.

1. Asurmen says:

On the other hand, it definitely looks like D2 and War3 are getting the Remaster treatment after Starcraft, so you could just wait for that instead.

• nottorp says:

Funny enough, I am going through a D2 playthrough right now. Only I’m not using the latest version but 1.13c because PlugY (the mod that gives you a humongous stash) only works with that.

I am betting a Diablo 2 remaster would have decent stash space available only as microtransactions, so if anyone feels nostalgic, just play the pre “modern” update instead.

• Sandepande says:

Microtransactions? Based on what? I didn’t think they have any, except in their F2P games, and D2 isn’t free to play. If any remakes are coming, then I would imagine they’d be paid upgrades.

• Xocrates says:

You can pay for crates in Overwatch, and you can probably consider the D3 (now extinct) real money auction house as micro-transactions.

I mean, I doubt they’ll add them to their older games (though others have done, including Activision) but let’s not pretend Blizzard hasn’t the precedents to consider it.

Zamn10210 says:

There are microtransactions in Overwatch, which isn’t F2P. But it’s true that there are none in Diablo 3 so it’s unlikely there would be any in a Diablo 2 remaster.

• Sandepande says:

Right! Overwatch! I’m very anti-multiplayer so I entirely forgot.

I think that Overwatch was designed with loot boxes in mind, but such a mechanic might be slightly more difficult to push into something like Diablo…

• nottorp says:

Based on the stash limit in D3, that only gets increased if you buy additional content.

It’s a long shot, I must admit, but I wouldn’t put it past the new Blizzard…

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Funny enough with D2 you could chosse to not play the latest version.
        With D3 and other games you have to play the version Blizzard thinks is most fun for you.

2. Xocrates says:

“brings back the Necromancer class introduced in Diablo II expansion”

Psst… the expansion introduced the assassin and the druid. The Necromancer was in the base game.

3. R. Totale says:

We’ll all be skeletons some day.

4. RaunakS says:

Diablo as always looks swell but I’ve heard the servers are hell in Eastern India for some reason. Does anyone have any other (preferably steam based) good modern ARPG recommendation? I’ve tried Path of Exile & Grim Dawn and bounced off hard.

• Zanchito says:

Maybe Torchlight 2. You can try Titan Quest too, it’s like a simplified version of Grim Dawn, but still very nice to play.

I can’t really tell you much more, you bounced off my two most liked ARPGs in years, I fear anything I may recommend would not be your kind of thing.

• RaunakS says:

Oh Torchlight looks very pretty, thank you!

• Halk says:

get it on GOG. it’s 75% off on the GOG summer sale

• Nelyeth says:

Played Torchlight, Diablo 3, PoE and Grim Dawn. I’d say that of all of them, Torchlight 2 is the most mindless of the bunch, and I dropped out of it by the third act, because all I was doing at that point was mashing my left click with a berserker, and using my Q key to dash around looking for things to click to death. The lack of different spells to use is the biggest offender, I found.

That said, it definitely has a more colourful aesthetic compared to the genre’s staples, and it’s fairly polished too, so I don’t regret any of it.

• 2Ben says:

May I ask what you disliked in Grim Dawn?

• RaunakS says:

I really didn’t like the aesthetic. The name should’ve tipped me off but the world and the monsters just felt dirty and unattractive. It’s mechanically great but it was too much Warrior Within than Sands of Time, y’know?

• Daymare says:

I adore Path of Exile. It’s changed tremendously during the last years and will be getting six more acts in a month.

I really appreciate that its devs regularly rework old tiles (never seen that in any Diablo game) and add new game altering elements from the temporary leagues back into the main game and all future leagues.

If it’s been a few years for you, skill-gems are now much easier to come by when you start a new character and it’s become a far bigger, more fluent game thanks also to a rework of their networking code.

If you tried it back when it only had 2 or 3 acts, you could give it another try.

• theslap says:

PoE has changed a lot of the years and while I don’t agree with all changes it is still the best ARPG out there. The game is gradually becoming more newbie-friendly but it still takes patience, effort, and research to master. The new six acts is ideal for new players who just want to play an interesting campaign for 20 hours or so.

5. Talahar says:

Unfortunately it’s exactly the price I’ve imagined it to be. Little naive me was hoping that blizz would offer it for a cheaper prize, because goodness of heart and all that, but nope, exactly the 15euros I thought it would be from the very beginning.

6. Boozie says:

@Alice

You might want to update the article to mention the extra
    stash space will NOT apply to console players.

I got that info from the BLizzard FAQ about the DLC on their site.

I was only somewhat interested in this new character class
    but was more interested by far in the 2 new char slots and even
    more desiring of the stash expansion.
    I now have zero interest as I play console D3, solo games.
    Pity. I’d consider the stash alone something to pay for. Frak em.

7. KevinSMayfield says:

For a second I thought it said “Necrodancer,” which would have been one of the oddest and most interesting game crossovers imaginable.

Comment on this story