Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! plating up on August 24th

It’s time to start a strict training routine of fingertip pushups: Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! [official site] is coming. Developers Vertigo Gaming today announced a release date of August 24th for their follow-up to the fun and unexpectedly really, really intense game about cooking in your own little restaurant. They’ve also confirmed that cooperative local multiplayer will return in CSD!2!!, but this time as a fully thought-through mode rather than something added as an experiment. All of this sounds great, aside from the fact that my fingers haven’t recovered from E3 week so I’m already a week behind in my training to build strength and speed for the game’s intense key-tapping.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! sounds simple. You’re the chef/manager/sole employee of a restaurant, cooking food by tapping hotkeys for ingredients and processes in sequence. Press four keys et voila, you’ve cooked something. Then dishes get more complicated. And you start juggling several orders at once. And you need to empty the bins. And you have to respond to Instagram photos of your food. And rush hour hits. And, ah, I think that pizza is burning. As more tasks come in and pile up, it’s vital to prioritise and multitask as your fingertips race across the keyboard. Have a peek in this trailer for the sequel:

CSD!2!! is fleshed out with more foods, more modes, and new features like decorating your restaurant yourself. See this dev blog post for a peek at decoration.

As for cooperative play, Vertigo Gaming say they’ve rebuilt it to be more fluid. While the first game forced one player to cook food and the other to send orders and food, players now will be able to do as they please. Vertigo say:

“What I’ve found is that having two chefs in the kitchen is so much more fun than the expediter/cook mechanics of the first, and lends itself to having two different styles of play. If your partner isn’t quite as skilled at the game as you are, they can focus on taking care of the Holding Stations and doing the simple chores and drink stations while you handle the complex orders. If your partner is equal to the task, they can jump right into the complex orders when it gets crazy.”

Good-o!

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux on August 24th, priced at $11.99. The first game is due to get an 80% discount on sale tomorrow, by the way.

Neurotic says:

I like the sound of that new MP. It was fun in the first CSD, but quickly grew stale (ho ho).

2. R. Totale says:

Too much punctuation for me.

3. MooltiPass says:

Really excited to dig into this. The original CSD is one of those games that just perfectly hit my pleasure centers. I was describing it last night as a perfect mix between memorization and improvisation. Constantly having to bounce between tasks that you’ve drilled into your subconscious while making decision after decision to try and maximize efficiency and not mess up the barrage of orders.

I’ve considered restarting CSD a few times but now I’m happy that I didn’t because I am so ready to dive back in, and my skills will be rusty enough that it will feel fresher. I also now have a mechanical keyboard that I didn’t when the first game released. I anticipate annoying my roommate with a whole lot of loud clacking.

4. X_kot says:

Truly one of the gems to come from the Steam Greenlight era. There are so many resturant-management games but not enough quality cooking games.

5. Hyena Grin says:

This is one of those games that looks really hard to market. It doesn’t necessarily look fun when you take a broad look at the gameplay, but yikes, the first game was mega-satisfying to play. I lost a whole bunch of hours to it, and enjoyed every minute.

Something about hitting buttons in the right order. I mean I guess it’s similar to rhythm games, but the emphasis on prioritizing and actual decision making (what to put on the menu, and what order to tackle tasks in) makes you feel more like you’re involved rather than rotely repeating a task like in most rhythm games.

6. davethejuggler says:

Oh hell yeah! Loved the first game. Only heard about it thanks to Ryan Davis, so playing the second will be an emotional ride. Wonder if there’s another meal named after him.

7. Person of Interest says:

I love that they kept the same/similar sound effects. Listening to the dings and thwacks in the trailer immediately transported me back to the game, even though Steam says I haven’t played it in… strewth, three years!

8. Kefren says:

Do you get to choose what foods you serve in the restaurant in the first game? I’m just curious whether I could play it just running a veggie cafe or a salad or smoothie bar, or if you have to cook the foods the games tells you to.

• Lagran says:

To some extent, yes you can choose. Once you get to a 2 star restaurant corn dogs and one other food get automatically greyed out, and most foods you’ll need to buy (and you’ll also need to buy upgrades/new recipes).

You also need to rotate most foods out after two consecutive days, otherwise they get a ‘stale’ modifier which reduces buzz (popularity).

• Kefren says:

Many thanks. I had a chat with the dev too. I’ll try the first game and if I enjoy it, get the second too – he said the second has a lot more veg options, so it should be possible in that.