Dungeon Defenders 2 launches out of early access

After two-and-a-half years in early access, free-to-play tower defense action-RPG Dungeon Defenders 2 [official site] has launched in full. If you want to fend off monsters with towers while scampering about murdering them yourself, swing by Steam and get to it. Given that free-to-play games rely on a steady flow of updates anyway — and more are certainly planned for Dungeon Defenders 2 — what’s special about leaving early access? Things that make it friendlier to casual passers-by: improvements to the tutorial, campaign, and HUD, along with a fair few bug fixes.

Full patch notes for the launch update are over here. Developers Trendy Entertainment say:

“We’ve been in Early Access for more than two years. With more than 60+ updates, Dungeon Defenders II has grown up before our very eyes. It’s been exciting and, quite frankly, a little unnerving to develop a game with you watching every step of the way. Our growth and improvement is because of your support, your feedback and the dedicated members of our team who went above and beyond to drive our game forward. We’re proud of where Dungeon Defenders II is today, but launch is just the beginning. With your support, Dungeon Defenders II is only going to get bigger and better!”

With the game now friendlier to new players and officially launched, Trendy tell players “we’re spinning up on features and changes you’ve been asking for (Endless Mode says hi).”

I know no-longer-our Jim found the first Dungeon Defenders a delight, though when Alec played Dungeon Defenders 2 a bit in 2014 he ultimately concluding that he is an old man. Mate, I could’ve told you that. Have you defended any dungeons more recently, gang?

1. Tridus says:

I tried this out a whlie ago, but there was some event going on and the game kept waving it in my face. Go here and spend these token thingies on some doodad before it’s gone! Get more tickets you can use for this other thing in the shop! And this, and this, and this!

It was distracting and annoying. It felt like a F2P game usually does: constantly trying to get attention by piling ever more stuff on top of the actual game. I think I lasted two hours, and that was after putting tons of time into Dungeon Defenders 1.

• Ghostwise says:

To read the rest of Tridus’ post, you can spend 250 Dungeon Credits that can be found in-game or bought in our online shop !

• Bostec says:

Yeah I played this for about an hour. So much going on with flashes going off and stuff everywhere right into your eyeballs without giving you a moment to blink. Too old I guess.

• FranticPonE says:

What a terrible assed decisions too. I loved the first Dungeon Defenders, I’ve got 56 hours clocked, that’s the entire game and all the DLC. I was so looking forward to the next one, local co-op being as rare as it is today.

But old school “free to play” just shuts that straight down.

2. Loser says:

I played the first one, rather a lot, with friends back in the day.

I’ve since moved to the other side of the world, not sure I have friends who would play it locally. Especially if it’s like the first and needs a lot of grinding and such. I really want to though. Damn.

That said, I tried the early access version a while back and it literally overheated my PC and forced a shutdown, so not sure I can until I upgrade (soon!).

3. elvirais says:

Loved the first one, never liked the second one. Too busy and too “in your face annoying you” as above posters say.

4. Stompywitch says:

I liked the first one, until it became a super grindy MMO-like, but haven’t really bothered with the second one. I think I’m played out on the concept.

5. aircool says:

I’m just sad that Robot never made Orcs Must Die! 3. I still play Orcs Must Die! 2, but outside of endless mode (which pretty much means taking mushrooms and teleporters), all I’ve got left to do is beat my high scores (and more importantly, my friends high scores).

Tried Dungeon Defenders, but I’ve been spoiled by the Orcs Must Die! games*… especially the warmage guy, he’s still funny :)

Except their new one which is a bit crap.

• Matys says:

Thank god I’m not the only one. I didn’t mind DD1, it was grindy but it was fun. But the real problem is that it just leaves me wanting another proper orcs must die games that combines the tower defense with arcadey high skillcap gameplay. I wouldn’t mind Orcs unlimited if they hadn’t completely eliminated the basic gameplay in favor of the more number based moba and cooldown method. I tried Hell Warders but nothing fills the gap, shame too cause I’ve already played Orcs2 too much as it is. Crossing my fingers for Fortnite even if it is just a poor mans OMD.

6. Siimon says:

How does this compare to the first game? I loved the first one, despite some flaws, but the 2nd game gives me an impression of being a very different game and not in a good way; plus it looks to have all the worst F2P flaws…

• Skandranon says:

Well, they’ve massively de-emphasized traps, to the point where they basically are support for your heroes.

Also, last I checked, every new hero was 20 bucks.

• Siimon says:

Thanks for that answer – that pretty much confirms I have zero interest in it.

7. Glubber says:

Loved the first game for a long time, but once they added djinns and flying sharks I just couldn’t be bothered. Was enjoying the grind but at that point it just stopped being fun for me. Maybe will check this one out.

8. Flopper says:

DD2 has only been in Early Access for 2 years? I feel like I’ve been seeing it on Steam for at least 5. rofl Oh well. The first one was OK but I have way too many games now to have time to even try this.

9. MrLoque says:

Steam recent reviews are quite bad but let’s be honest: considering how GTA V was completely destroyed in the last days… I wouldn’t trust too much the reviews. It’s F2P, just give it a try.