Hitman hits Mac, man

Ooh it’s all go for Ian Hitman these days. Developers IO Interactive have kept the rights to their stealthy murder series and become an independent studio after former owners Square Enix ditched ’em, a demo of the recent episodic Hitman [official site] arrived yesterday as its prologue chapter became free, and oh! the game is now playable on Mac too. The Mac port by porting house Feral Interactive has launched. If you have Hitman, you already have the Mac version sitting in your Steam library. Easy peasey. Yup, that prologue demo is on Mac too.

One important thing to note: right now, the Mac version of Hitman only supports AMD graphics cards. “Feral hopes to announce more details regarding support for Nvidia and Intel graphics cards shortly,” they say.

Hitman is on sale on Steam right now too, with a 60% discount bringing the season to £15.89. Buy it so IO have more money and can make a second season, yeah? Don’t let this golden age of games end.

Hitman hit Linux in February, so this is the game now on the three big PC gaming platforms. Hints of a Mac version were spotted over a year ago so this isn’t IO releasing a port that Squeenix wouldn’t. It is striking timing, though.

Steam’s latest user survey says 3% of respondents in May were on Mac and 0.8% on Linux. Those aren’t complete numbers but those OSs are clearly a teensy share, so it is nice that developers are supporting them. Things have improved a lot since The Dark Days of few games getting ports from Windows – and those ports being sold separately.

1. shadders says:

As a recent purchaser of a 27″ iMac with a 8gb RX580 I approve! Great news.

2. nottorp says:

This is always online, isn’t it? With mandatory registration on their servers?

• nottorp says:

Replying to my own post because editing doesn’t work, as always. I had a little less than 4 minutes left.

Steam forums seem to have complaints that the hitman servers are overloaded because of the free demo and sale so paying customers can’t play. Careful where you spend your money, I almost bought it on impulse but sorry, no.

• Wormerine says:

I did buy it on impulse but refunded it, after not being able to log in for 30 minutes. I adore hitman games, but this online thing kills it. I wonder if the game is outside squenix influence now, and if patching a proper offline mode would be possible. I might rebuy it in future, but with Pyre, XCOM expansion and other goodies there is just too many games to invest in a game I might not be able to play on a whim.

• Janichsan says:

There is no mandatory registration (the game uses your Steam credentials), and it’s possible to play offline.

*However*, offline and online progress is separated. So, when you play a couple of missions online and then play offline, you do not have access to all the things you unlocked while playing online.

MajorLag says:

Anyone know why it would be AMD only? That strikes me as quite strange. Some quirk of Metal or something?

Also, “three big gaming platforms”? Let’s be honest here, we have one big gaming platform and 2 god-we-wish-they-were-better-so-we-could-get-away-from-this-microsoft-garbage platforms.

• nottorp says:

Hah, so it wouldn’t work on my nvidia-based hackintosh that exceeds all current Mac’s specs anyway.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I have been 100% away from “this microsoft garbage” for almost 2 years now and honestly not missing it one bit. Sure, my choice of games have shrunk, yet I still have a pile of games begging to be played.

MajorLag says:

It can be done, but there’s a reason it usually isn’t. I could rant about the problems with Linux as a desktop platform for slightly longer than I could rant about Windows’s. Which is saying something. I have a buddy who could probably do the same for Mac.

It’s made all the worse because I really want to like Linux. I spent a decade of my life really honestly believing it was better just because I wanted it to be so badly. Those years are over.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I think this is an entirely subjective thing. Your phrasing, “the problems with Linux as a desktop platform” sounds like it’s just a fact for everyone, but in truth it’s going to differ from person to person, use case to use case. There’s nothing in my own use that it’s not suitable for. All my software needs are covered, and I have no problems with hardware either.

MajorLag says:

Yeah, see, that right there is kinda my point. You represent something like 0.8% of the Gaming Desktop market, so apparently it doesn’t fit that use case very well at all. And your attitude of shrugging off the problems other people have because it “works on my machine” is so tragically Linux.

• rustybroomhandle says:

You just deliberately misinterpreted my words in the most obnoxious way.

MajorLag says:

I don’t think so. You’re saying “Linux works well enough for all my needs”, which is great for you, but it very much isn’t there for pretty much everyone else and I really wish it were.

• Janichsan says:

There are apparently some driver issues with Metal on Intel and Nvidia CPUs. Mafia III for Mac is also only supported on AMD equipped Macs. Some people tried to run that game on Nvidia GPUs and indeed in part reported things like missing textures, performance drops and even crashes.

Earl-Grey says:

Goody gumdrops! Can’t wait to see my 2015 Pro thermal throttle itself into a pathetic heap of useless silicone and aluminium.
    Swell.

5. Catchcart says:

It (porting to platforms of actual choice) is awfully nice of Feral and IOI and now that they’re indie AND organic AND earning their own keep, I’m definitely out of reasons not to support them.

MajorLag says:

Apparently it’s an always-on-line single player game? That’s a pretty good reason if you ask me, though it may be an artifact of their prior ownership.

• Janichsan says:

As I mentioned above, it’s possible to play offline, but online and offline profiles are completely separated.

• nottorp says:

Are you SURE you can play offline without ever registering on their servers? Which at the moment don’t work?
          Or are you just quoting patch notes and steam descriptions that can be misleading?

For example, Max Payne 3 for PC’s Steam page said registration to the Rockstar Social Club isn’t mandatory. When installing the game, it turned out it was mandatory. So I can’t trust anything but first hand experience, on a recent patch. I doubt Square Enix can be trusted more than Rockstar…