Steam Summer Sale begins 22 June (tomorrow!)

A timeless image for a timeless event. But in 2017.

With the kettle singing in the background to provide me with enough tea to enjoy the hot weather it seems appropriate to be writing about the incoming Steam Summer Sale. PayPal (who have a deal on with Steam to promote their payment method) confirmed the sale will kick off at 6pm BST on 22 June.

I remember back in the day when the exciting sales were just after Christmas and you could get slightly mangled white chocolate snowmen and Christmas ornaments for tuppence at Woolworths. I assume you young people will be dragging your camping stools to the Steam storefront from 21 June, nursing a thermos of something nutritious and exchanging stories about the time you queued for something else with your fellow queuers.

Perhaps you queued for a Zune. Perhaps it was the Kenzo x H&M collaboration. Maybe you went to the post office to collect a parcel once. It’s all grist for the queuing war story mill. Once I joined a queue in Malta just because the people in the queue seemed upbeat and the line was for a theatre. I ended up at a philharmonic orchestra concert of Beatles songs. Queuing is great.

If you’re interested in the PayPal promotion they’re banging on about it’s essentially about saving a bit of money if you spend more than £20 and use PayPal to make the purchases. Full details here. It’s regional so no idea whether there are similar haps in the rest of the world or whether it’s a UK reward for how much we love queuing. One thing to note if you tend to go all-in on Steam sales is in the small-print: “The Offer shall not be available if the aggregate monetary amount credited to customers reaches GBP 24,000.00.” So, y’know. £23,999 or less if you want to save a fiver.

I’m going to go out and find a queue to join in the meantime. It’s going to be great. Don’t @ me with your “blah blah blah that’s not how digital commerce works” because I’ll be reading a book and standing in line for something cool.

1. Earl-Grey says:

Oh boy, she’s just livid since she just spent all her dosh on a vintage flight stick and a CRT monitor.
    Now she can’t afford to go crazy on the sale!

2. Gothnak says:

“The Offer shall not be available if the aggregate monetary amount credited to customers reaches GBP 24,000.00.” – I think that means across EVERYONE. So, best use it early if you are going to.

• Carr0t says:

Indeed. I read it as you have to be one of the first 4800 people to spend > £20, because that’s when they’ll have handed out £24000 worth of £5 off offers.

• Philippa Warr says:

Fair. I skim-read, assumed and made an ass out of ONLY ME.

• bills6693 says:

Also, the voucher is valid from now.

You have to click on the link in the tweet/quoted tweet above to use it, add it to your paypal then click the provided ‘use voucher’. Its pretty simple.

• caff says:

Now when logged in and clicking ‘Save Offer’ it states “Thanks you for being a loyal customer. Unfortunately, you can’t save any more offers for this merchant at the moment.”.

Looks like the barrel has run dry! If so, please remove the link above RPS.

3. dystome says:

Far too many RPS articles lately have used preview images other than this one.

4. kwyjibo says:

Perhaps it was the Kenzo x H&M collaboration.

That shit was an abomination.

5. Jerppa says:

How much is £23,999 after Brexit?

Drib says:

Steam sale woo.

I feel like the deals used to be better. But I do have a wishlist a mile (well, maybe 60 items) long, and a wallet full of expendable income.

Looking forward to it.

• sosolidshoe says:

A lot of them were better, but a lot of them were also garbo-trash timed deals or combo deals or deals that marginally increased their discount after you sacrificed a goat kid on a black alter under the summer new moon.

I much prefer them saying “here is what on sale, here is the discount for those things, here is how long the thing will be discounted” than deal with all the Skinner Box Black Friday-esque BUY BUY BUY guff, even if you do save a little less.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

I’m not sure the deals used to be better really. I think it’s just more that the novelty of the sales has worn off. When they were a new thing, you would buy anything that looked remotely interesting, because who knew when you’d see it at as good a price again? Now though we’ve all gotten used to the idea that there will be periodic big sales, so the pressure’s off — you feel safe letting today’s sale price slide, knowing that in a few months it’ll be back again.

• ezelkow1 says:

No they were better. The steamspy stats guy did an article last year showing the decline in discount percentages and over-all sale prices across the years. It basically started in 2015, before that were the good old days when 75% off was the norm, not the exception, even for fairly new AAA stuff

7. leeder krenon says:

A handy way to use that paypal deal is to buy £20 worth of funds for your Steam wallet and pay by paypal. Then you can still take advantage even if you’re not going to spend £20 this sale.

• fish99 says:

This is exactly what I did, added £20 to my wallet and paid £15*.

(*to do this you need to use Enhanced Steam to add a custom wallet amount, or you can buy £25 instead)

• samobile says:

I just did this and it seems to be a UK only deal indeed, I don’t see any sign that the offer (which I was able to add to PayPal wallet no problem) lead to a £5,- cashback. Non UK people: don’t bother with this.

quasiotter says:

This comment is a digital concrete reminder that I do not need to buy anything during the sale. It is not the last time these games will be discounted. I have too many games already, and purchasing from Humble/GOG/the dev is a much better option.

9. Saarlaender39 says:

I absolutely love this picture!

10. duncvis says:

Oh God, my ‘Pile of Shame’ is never going to get any smaller at this rate… I bought far too much already in the Humble and GOG sales. I see ‘85% off’ and suddenly I have 3 more second rate puzzle platformers and a game I thought looked a bit crap when it came out in my cart. And a hugely reduced 4X game I will never start. I shouldn’t be allowed my own account. Damn pushers.

• Kreeth says:

Oh yes. I need to get around to cancelling my Humble monthly thing as well. Just as soon as they don’t have something I vaguely thought about buying on release as the big name item that month.

So, never, then.

11. Jabberslops says:

If PUBG goes on sale for like 50% off it will likely be my first impulse buy. I haven’t bought it yet because I’m not sure If I will like it or feel like tolerating the bugs and jankiness.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve been waiting for a sale because I need to buy a copy for myself and friend.

I wouldn’t expect 50% off, expect 20% at most.

12. Themadcow says:

No Man’s Sky better come in around £15 or I’m going to pull a sadface.

Comment on this story