Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered standalone release coming

Love a duck and stone the crows, Activision are finally going to sell Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered [official site] seperately. Because they’re a gaggle of silly sausages, they originally launched the revamped version of 2007’s wildly popular Call of Duty 4 only as a bonus included in expensive editions of the wildly unpopular Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Seven months later, Activision have announced they’re putting an end to this foolishness and releasing Modern Warfare Remastered separately. Oh, but it’s never that simple. The June 27th release date announced today is only for PlayStation 4, with other platforms to follow. What are you like! The silliest sausages.

As you can see, the end of that trailer says “On disc and digital download first on PS4.” Activision don’t mention when it’ll hit PC. Infinite Warfare’s PS4-first DLC has come to other platforms one month later, but you’d hope they won’t drag this foolishness out that long, wouldn’t you?

Modern Warfare Remastered is both the singleplayer and multiplayer sides of CoD 4 prettied-up in modern shine-o-vision. CoD 4 being a lark, this should be a lark. It’s a shame Activision have wrung so much of the fun out of it.

MWR is currently only available in Infinite Warfare’s Digital Legacy Edition, which costs an extra £20 over the standard edition (well, not right now in the Steam Summer Sale), and the Digital Deluxe Edition, which costs an extra £40. Activision were obviously always going to release it separately — as much as they danced around addressing that — so it felt a desperate attempt to exploit nostalgia.

By the time Modern Warfare Remastered arrives, it’ll be only a few months until the launch of this year’s Call of Duty: WWII. This time we’re off back to the series’ origins, back to the beaches of Normandy and all that once more. I’m all for revisiting them in modern explode-o-vision but it hardly feels fresh.

1. bfar says:

This was pretty good. The series went to hell in a hand basket from there on, which was a shame, but to be fair, cod 1,2 and MW1 were good games.

2. StAUG says:

I’m torn between ‘fuck Activision’ and wanting this. Anyone know if it has microtransactions or any other crap added in?

rootfs.ext2.gz says:

The last I heard about this game was that they not only bundled in microtransactions, but they were charging 50% more for some map DLC than last time – the kicker is that it was actually free for PC because NVIDIA paid for it ($15 vs $10).

I’d honestly just wait it out to see if Activision undoes all that nonsense, but it seems unlikely.

3. zulnam says:

I dream of a day when mainstream gaming media can say more about publishers that do such things than “they’re a gaggle of silly sausages”.

• Alice O'Connor says:

If it helps, I don’t eat meat and do very much imagine Activision as meat sausages* – so that is jolly strong language.

*Richmond skinless sausages, specifically

• Ghostwise says:

I’m sure that if “mainstream gaming media” called Activision mouldy-toed putrescent cocksplats over this, Activision would utterly change their ways in contrition and become ethical, non-profit paragons.

Though there’s the risk of eye damage as they are blinded by their epiphany.

Grizzly says:

I see what you did with the alt text there :)

And, well, hmm. Going by that trailer it just seems like it hasn’t aged terribly well. It’s a literal remake of the original modern warfare after we’ve seen a dozen remakes in spirit which, in my mind, have already exposed its flaws in detail. Having replayed it three years or so back, I back then already felt like it hadn’t aged well and that’s before I played the new Wolfenstein.

5. Det. Bullock says:

So this announcement boils down to: “get the original ASAP before they pull it out from Steam in favour of the new remastered with a jacked up price”.

And I didn’t want to spend any money in this summer sale, sigh.

The silly thing is that Activision always kept the price high enough I always passed on it in favour of other games even on sales there were always more convenient deals on other games on my wishlist, this feels a bit like blackmail.

• Siimon says:

To be fair, the remaster is great. Very well done, looks gorgeous, and performs well. No reason to ever play the original.

6. nitric22 says:

I was ready for this, er, 8 months ago? I’m over it now. If it ever drops to $10 I’ll buy it. (e.g. never)

7. Bull0 says:

Way too late, multiplayer is almost totally dead on PC.

8. Chorltonwheelie says:

You can get the Legacy edition for £22 on cdkeys. That’s probably gonna be cheaper than the full unbundled price.
    Worth it for a run through MW and Infinite is a surprisingly fun daft romp-o-shoot.

9. buzzmong says:

But why? Yes it was decent, but it’s barely 10 years old, and game tech hasn’t moved on that much in that time.
    CoD4 still loads and is still playable now.

There’s a lot more interesting games that could do with a remake.

10. bk0n3 says:

Call of What? Is this a videogame? Looks like it’s to old to anyone really give a flying sausage about it.

duns4t says:

The brief bit of gameplay appears to be 75% HUD notifications, so no thanks.

12. Avus says:

Triple dipping FTW.

13. Sojiro84 says:

Hah, called it way back when. Was just a matter of time before they would do this.

They first wanted to get the mass initial sales first for the complete package and when that $$$ died down then they will release it as a stand alone version.

Patience is a virtue.

14. sgtlex says:

I loved the original CoD4 but this is trash to me. I have never been a fan of this BS console server trash they put in the PC versions of CoD. Why do we PC players need this crap as BF has still dedicated servers that are rented and there are officials.

Also the game it self is dead. You get on and let the trash auto server try and find a match to place you in. Which has taken me over 43 minutes to get into a match, which by the way was all high lvls, some maxed and me at just lvl 11.
    It also has lots of issues with lag, which seems to be due to the trash they call “servers” but its due to your connection to the host of that match at that time.

Do NOT buy this trash, I regret ever getting the game now and it was a total waste of money to pay for CoD IW just for this total crap.

Comment on this story