Titanfall 2 adding two new maps free next week

Titanfall 2 War Games

Titanfall 2 pilots – you’re in luck. The game’s getting a free update next week (27 June) called The War Games, which adds two maps and a few new features.

If that DLC title sounds familiar then that’s because it’s named after a map from the original Titanfall, War Games, which will now be available in the sequel. It’s a simulated high-rise city where you can scamper across windows and on top of huge garages. I have fond memories of wall-running around the buildings in the first game, so I’m excited that it’s coming back.

It also adds a new map for the Live Fire mode, which launched in February. In that mode, pilots have to go without the mechanised titans that have made the series famous and run around on foot for one-minute elimination rounds. The new map, called Traffic, looks like a post-apocalyptic version of the M25 and promises “dense cover… with room for snipers to hide in the back fields”.

Traffic Titanfall 2

Other tweaks announced on the development blog include the addition of a third weapon slot, so players will be able to carry a primary, secondary, and anti-titan weapon simultaneously. The titan-only Titan Brawl mode will be added to the permanent list of game modes, and there’s a new execution animation for finishing enemies off. There’s more game balances to be revealed in the full patch notes, which will be out in the next few days.

If you haven’t played Titanfall 2 yet it’s well worth checking out. The single player got all the praise but the multiplayer is rock solid. Here, read Adam’s review if you don’t believe me. If you want to pick it up it’s £25 on Origin, and it has a free demo.

1. April March says:

The free demo is downloaded to my computer, waiting for free time that might never come. Which is too bad, because I actually think I’ll like this one.

See, I could be glib and ask if other levels were not simulated and where I could find them in the real world, but instead I’ll be humble and admit I can’t figure out if the level is, like, a simulated city within the game’s fiction, like a holodeck or something. It probably isn’t, but I haven’t played the game so I really don’t know ?

• crazyd says:

In the game’s fiction, it’s like a VR simulation. Instead of airdropping in, like in most maps, you enter via a simulation pod. When enemies die, they fade into blue light. The map itself is kind of Tron-ish, as well. It’s a game within a game (how shakespearean).

It’s a cool map, came from the first game. It’s a good game overall.

2. HumpX says:

so unfortunate this game tanked because of the timing of its release.The Single Player campaign was a ton of fun and MP was superior to the original.

• clonex10100 says:

It was a bit more than that. Timing of the release, lack of advertising, and bad impressions from the first game. The first game was good, but It didn’t have much content and released without a campaign before that was normal and accepted.

• HumpX says:

Being released between CoD and Battlefield 1 in what was a 2 week period (I think)? I think that did the most damage.

• Banks says:

Sadly, I do not believe that the MP was better in 2. It felt less focused, slower, less tight and the maps were very weak.

If they ever do Titanfall 3 I hope they take a different direction. More Quake, less COD.

3. icarussc says:

Why no bots? I wish there were bots :-(

• arccos says:

Agreed. It’s tough to start up now and play against players that have been CODing since diapers. The matchmaking doesn’t seem to have a skill-based matchmaking system, or at least not one that works. :-(

4. JustAchaP says:

Man I really should get back into this game if they’re releasing new maps so often. What are they doing to satisfy EA?

5. vahnn says:

Really saddens me to say I uninstalled this game after only 3 months. It was fantastic the first few weeks, but the player base slowly dwindled until it was taking a few minutes to find a match and I was starting to recognize 90% of the people I was matched with every game. So gave it a rest and checked back a month later. Same long queues, few dozen players, all G10.

Respawn were doing a great job addressing the community’s issues, the game feels great, I enjoyed three maps and game modes, guns felt tight. Guess most people disagree or couldn’t be bothered to stop playing CoD or BF to try.