PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds gets 3rd monthly update

We’ve already told you that merciless murder-them-up PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds [official site] is getting an update this week, with a couple of new guns and heavily adjusted loot drop rate. But we didn’t tell you all the details, because we like to be mysterious. But also because the full list of patch notes hadn’t been released. It has now, so here’s all the teeny tiny details that may or may not result in your sudden, bloody death.

You can find the full changelog here. Much of it is focused on simply making it run better, reducing lag and frame rate issues. There’s some new weather and, as we’ve mentioned, two new guns in the form of the Groza bullpup, which sounds cute but is actually quite deadly, and a 9mm pistol, the P18C. In other gun news, the Vector and UMP bullet hoses now have burst fire modes, and pistols will now be drawn faster. Here’s two other changes that sound small but will likely feel disproportionately significant for many players:

— You can now pick up items while moving. The interaction animation will not force you to stop anymore, but make you walk slowly.
— You may interact with doors, items, or vehicles while reloading. Reloads will be canceled with such interactions.

Although, objectively speaking, this is the most important one:

— Fixed an issue when the voice chat volume blasted momentarily after getting on an airplane.

But that’s only important if you don’t already mute the entire airplane section, like any sane player would. There’s lots of other small tweaks that will likely make your murder sessions more enjoyable in microscopic ways (although it seems there’s no jumping and vaulting just yet). I wasn’t too impressed with the ultra popular chicken dinner competition, but others among us adore it and our Alice told us tales of pitilessly slaying whole squads of foes during our E3 podcast.

The update will be on test servers tomorrow and come to the rest of this stinking world on Thursday.

1. Drib says:

I was really hoping this would be on sale during the… sale. But it’s not.

Why can’t I just get everything I want for free, I ask

• caff says:

A shame, but it’s such a bestseller they’re hanging on for every penny (and I would argue, rightfully so – it plays really well).

• Michael Anson says:

Seriously, it’s still in Early Access.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Seriously, it’s still in Early Access selling well.

• Drib says:

Plenty of early access games are on sale. Hell, probably most of them are.

But yeah, plunkbat is still new and also still selling well at full price, so I’m not surprised it’s not on sale.

• Flopper says:

And full price is actually reasonable… $30 for a multiplayer only game instead of $60 from most big publishers.

I’ve gotten much more than $30 worth of time out of this little gem. The fact it has so much replayability is what really makes it worth it’s weight. No two games ever feel the same.

2. LearningToSmile says:

>the Groza bullpup, which sounds cute but is actually quite deadly
    The cute name does literally translate to something like “terror”, however.

• Drib says:

I think the cute part is the ‘bullpup’ part, because puppies are cute.

• SocketByte says:

In Poland, “Groza” means “Terror” so it will be pretty funny to say it in game. “I’ve got a terror” xD

lasikbear says:

Unfortunately the patch notes also say “improved starting planes” which I hope does not mean they removed the fire shooting out of the front/off to a random direction from the planes.

• SebfromMTL says:

These are people still on fire from Molotovs I think

• MooltiPass says:

Yep, whenever I snag a molotov from a table I hold it until the final few seconds and toss it at the biggest group of players I can find. It’s the best way to get as many lovely fire trails on the plane as possible.

4. JonPhillips says:

I refuse to turn off the audio in the plane. When, 15 minutes later, I creep up on someone through the bullrushes, rifle in my hands and murder in my heart, it’s reassuring to think they may have been the ones who were shouting something about sucking the toemeat off my mother’s dead feet earlier.

5. HeavyStorm says:

More guns? Couldn’t they simplify this part of the game? I’m usually completely confused when picking accessories since I have no idea which one is usable, and the probability of getting a certain weapon decreases every time a new one is added.

• ChrisT1981 says:

Yeah some things really are confusing. Like the M416 which is an Assault Rifle but also shares parts with the vector Submachine Gun. At least you can use scopes on any gun with a scope slot.

• vahnn says:

When you point at them on the ground, an icon appears showing the type if weapons as well as the names if the weapons they apply to if you have them equipped.

6. Ham Solo says:

Surprising boost in performance this patch, for me at least.