Racing games are going cheap on the Humble Store

If you frequently find yourself hankering for high-speed races, or for being strapped into a metal death trap hurtling towards oblivion, then the Humble Store’s racing sale might have something to sate you. It’s going on all week.

21 games are on sale for up to 80 percent off, including Project Cars (£7.95/$10.19), Mad Max (£6.39/$7.99) and Thumper (£9.59/$11.99). These are all good games, certainly, but Spintires (£3.99) is more my speed.

Mud! It’s great. And Spintires is full of it. It’s not really a racing game, but rather an off-road driving sim where you must defeat the greatest enemy of all vehicles. It’s all about big trucks getting stuck, tires furiously but impotently spinning away, kicking up lovely mud everywhere. I find it incredibly soothing.

Not convinced? Here’s a snippet from Adam’s Spintires review:

It’s a game capable of sublime nonsense, as vehicles attempt to entomb themselves on lonely hillsides, but Spintires is also a fine simulator. There are a great many games with that word, ‘simulator’, in some way attempting to justify their drab activities and the mundane implementation of those activities. Spintires will have you spending an evening trying to edge a busted up old vehicle out of a watery ditch, but it does so with a fair amount of style and a truckload of savvy. The camera is a bit shite though.

There are lots of other good games in the sale, so check it out.

Don Reba says:

I wonder if they have Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. That was a genre-defining game.

2. haradaya says:

I still hope Oovee some day sells Spintires, and then the dev can get back to working on it. So much was planned, and so much potential.
    The #1 issue with the multiplayer is that other players’ vehicles don’t make a peep. They move around in silence. Unless there’s been an update in the last year that I’ve missed.

3. nitric22 says:

Good heads up. I just watched the trailer for GRIP and it looks WAYyyyyyyyyyy Cool. But can my wallet even handle any more sale what with Steam Summer only half way. Argghhh the MaDneSS!!

• fish99 says:

Agreed, Grip looks pretty cool, and oddly I’ve never heard of it before (edit: ah, it’s early access).

I did just pick up Redout in the Steam sale and Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4, both of which are excellent.

4. Skiv says:

Too bad SpinTires died in flames..

5. Cederic says:

The prices may have changed slightly – Mad Max is down to £5.75 when I go to the page.

I think “Racing game” is an unfair representation of it though. It’s much much more, and easily worth the cost of a posh sandwich for lunch.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’d still definitely call it a car game just because that is its core competency. If somebody wanted a punchy shooty game and asked if Mad Max was a good choice I would say no. If somebody wanted a vroomy crashy game I would say yes.

6. Slazia says:

Worth it if you haven’t tried it. I probably got around 20 hours out of it. I’m sure I will play more in future if my schedule allows.

Oh – Make sure to play in windowed mode and make it borderless. I lost saves alt-tabbing.

7. 4004 says:

No way SpinTires is worth over 3 quid. Plus, you’d be better off picking up some classics on the steam sale

8. Thankmar says:

I like Skydrift quite a bit. The career mode is generic, but the planeraces themselves are very entertaining and just that little different from your usual car and antigrav racing to make it stand out.

9. foszae says:

Maybe one day Humble will accept my local currency as tender, but until then the exchange rate generally wipes out any discount from on-sale items. Always worth checking IsThereAnyDeal to see what price i can pay in loonies.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you look at it in terms of “dollars saved” it usually winds up being the same amount off.

Gamersgate is the best key retailer if you want to buy in Maple Bucks.

10. kapone says: