World of Warcraft 7.3 now available in public test realm

World of Warcraft [official site] 7.3 represents a dramatic shift in the war against the Burning Legion. Taking place after the Tomb of Sargeras raid, the heroes of Azeroth are going to be taking a trip to the Legion’s unpleasant homeworld of Argus, where they’ll become the invaders. The patch is now available in the Public Test Realm.

“Most (but not all) of the new stuff in 7.3 takes place on Argus — and as you might expect, this is hostile territory,” writes community manager Josh “Lore” Allen on the forums. “Demons patrol every crag of Argus’s shattered surface, and sometimes it seems as if the planet itself is out to get you. This will be a very story-driven update, but we’re also designing areas with sandbox elements intended to be enjoyed even after you complete the main quest, with gameplay and challenges on the planet’s surface reminiscent of past endgame areas such as the Molten Front, the Isle of Thunder, and the Timeless Isle.”

You won’t be flitting around on one of your flying mounts, but don’t worry — you’ll still be able to get to where you need to go via the Vindicaar, your new mobile base of operations. It’s not just a base, it’s a teleportation hub, connecting players to important locations spread throughout the Legion’s world.

Only the first of the world’s three regions is available on the PTR right now, where you’ll be able to work your way through the first couple chapters in the new storyline. And here’s what you’ll get when the update is finished:

Further chapters of the Argus storyline, including many cinematic story moments
New World Quests
Professions updates, including epic gems
The Netherlight Crucible, which allows you to upgrade your Artifact to unlock a new way to customize your Relics
New dungeon: Seat of the Triumvirate
New raid: Antorus, the Burning Throne (though as with other Legion raids, it won’t be released immediately with 7.3)
Invasion Points, a new type of replayable content that let you fight the Legion on multiple different worlds
Several other improvements and updates to existing features

1. Hunchback says:

I am quite amazed that WoW is still kicking around and even more so that people are paying to play it.

I’ve spent hundreds of hours in the game, up to… the lich king expansion, i believe, or cataclysm was it, not sure the order, but i am not randomly bashing at the game or anything… But that was eons ago. To pay a subscription for it, in the current state of gaming … Oo

• Ghostwise says:

Usually, people stick to WoW because of their guild and friends, more than the game itself.

• Merry says:

Presumably that’s an “I think, probably” sort of comment? Or do you have statistics you can quote?

I’m still playing and there’s only me in my guild. But a sample size of one isn’t much help.

• Crackerjacker says:

I’m curious, seeing as you and my partner seem to be similar, why do you play it? (Subtext: I was a sub from BC thru Cataclysm, but the new world made by Cataclysm shook me off and I’ve not been back)

• Thankmar says:

Blasting comfortably and very smooth through very pretty wondrous worlds. But since they are forcing you to do dungeons just for your professions is a big turnoff.

• Crackerjacker says:

@Thankmar Yeah, I look in on the sessions in play, and I really like the art direction that Blizzard go with, but I think the easy-going nature of it is just so in contrast to the pain-in-the-arsedness of the old, pre-Cata world, which I appreciated so much more for the difficulty of traversing the world at times. Getting to Gadgetzan from Darkshore while sub-lvl 10 was a real accomplishment to me.

• KikYu0 says:

I play the game mostly alone since Ages..
        I love my Warlock, and I love putting Dots on monsters all over the screen and see them eat sand slowly.

• Neurotic says:

I think you have to compare it to other games in its genre, i.e. MMORPGs, and while there are other games very much like it which are arguably better in some ways (IMHO RiFT is king, and has been for a long time), WoW still does an excellent job.

• Crackerjacker says:

Mrs. Crackerjacker plays when she can – has no guild, will not use LFG, does not know anyone else who plays. This, I cannot explain.

• Merry says:

To pay a subscription for it, in the current state of gaming … Oo

What do you mean by “the current state of gaming”?

• ludde says:

Yeah, I’ve seen this a lot in the last couple of years, but I’d rather MMOs are subscription based than rely on micro transactions. I’m not touching it if it’s free-to-play.

But then again there haven’t been any interesting MMOs at all in a good while, subscription or not.

• Hunchback says:

What i mean is that we ARE in the age of F2P and the decline of MMOs in general. Also, two things:

1. F2P as a model doesn’t HAVE to mean a game is grindy, moneysinking piece of trash. Serious companies like Valve, RIOT, CDPR, Id, EPIC etc have proven that you can run a great quality game in a F2P model. If you consider “not touching” DOTA2, LoL, Gwent, Hearthstone, Quake Champions, UnrealTournament… you are missing out.

2. There’s other models that exist, like GW2 for example. A “single purchase” game that allows some cosmetics to be bought on top is perfectly fine for a “major mmo” class game for me. I admit missing WoW, not so much the gameplay but the whole feeling of it, the setting, the horde, the whole thing. However, nostalgia apart i have to admit GW2 is a much better game overall and it doesn’t cost you 12$ par month.
        The only game which i can understand keeping subscriptions is EVE, and imo it’s not as much an economical decision as it is a matter of keeping the player base numbers under “control” because EVE is not really a game.

TLDR: F2P != Trash, paying subscriptions for a game in 2017 seems absurd and unnecessary.

Ericusson says:

So what, I can not understand people watching TV, or accept mass advertising in their life ; but hey look, people still do it.

Also, one’s opinion is really, really, not gospel.
          Actually even Gospel isn’t Gospel so whatever.

• shagen454 says:

Lol @ “serious companies” % “trash”.

• Squishydew says:

Dont compare it to gaming though, compare it to the rest of the MMORPG scene, there are simply no MMORPG’s of similar quality on the market

The alternatives are ESO, FFXIV, or GW2, and to most people those simply dont live up to what WoW has on offer.

Fallingbadgers says:

“Quick, Robin, to the Vindicaar!”

3. Nevard says:

The most important part of this patch is you get to ride this creature as a mount:
    link to media.mmo-champion.com