Cor, Tron 2.0 just got patched to work for Windows 10!

Huge kudos to Disney who just updated the Steam build of the fourteen year old FPS Tron 2.0 [official site doesn’t even exist any more] to work properly on Win 10!

One of the best FPS games ever made, Tron 2.0 is the Monolith game you always forget was made by Monolith. A reinterpretation of the utterly unintelligible 1982 Disney movie, it was – and still is – a really, smart, fast, and surprisingly deep shooter. You play Jet Bradley, son of Alan, who is searching for his missing father inside the machines.

For 2003, there was a lot going on in this shooter. And not just colour in a genre of greys and browns. There was a whole RPG element, with skill trees to unlock, and for once being inside a computer it made sense that you were constantly reading other people’s emails to take in the plot. Oh, and perhaps more importantly, it has one of the best FPS weapons ever, the wondrous Disc.

But if you had the Steam version, Win 10 would have led to disappointment, until last night. Out of the blue, Disney have patched the game to boot properly on modern machines. Which, I suppose you might say, is a necessity of still selling the game, but hardly a pleasure most games this old receive without the aid of fans and unofficial updates.

This isn’t a giant overhaul or anything magical like that – it’ll still run at a max of 1920×1440 using DX9, and it still rather cutely checks that your system is going to cope on High Detail by asking if you’ve got a Pentium 4 with 2GHz, half a Gb of RAM, and a 128Mb graphics card. Aw. (To get widescreen and other tweaks you will need to turn to an unofficial patch, over here.) But it still looks absolutely beautiful now – I just booted it up and cooed in surprise at how crisp and smart it remains.

So more than anything, I post this to celebrate a company giving a shit about a game they’re still selling after all these years (and let’s not take that for granted, when you consider the miserably sad case of those other Monolith greats, the NOLF games, still unavailable anywhere). And indeed to remind you to play/replay it, especially as right now it’s an almost invisibly small £1.74 in the Steam sale.

1. Ghostwise says:

Now I’m wondering what’s utterly unintelligible with Tron

John Walker says:

You might want to re-watch Tron.

• jsbenjamin says:

I’ve watched it many times. What would you like explained? (It’s goofy, no doubt. But unintelligible seems extreme.)

Oh, and his dad’s name is Alan.

• Kaeoschassis says:

link to youtu.be

But really, as with the commenter above, if you have any questions feel free to ask, as I rewatch it every now and then (it’s one of my fav films of all time) and I’ve never been particularly confused. It’s not necessarily an especially thought-provoking plot, but it seems fairly consistent and makes sense (assuming you’re okay with the whole cyberspace deal in the first place, obviously).

• Kaeoschassis says:

And yeah, while I’m here, just going to echo the “play Tron 2.0 if you haven’t” sentiment in the article. Please play it. If you’re a fan of the film it’s a pretty competent sequel, if you’re a fan of the concept it executes it MAGNIFICENTLY, and if you’re just a fan of fun and unusual FPSs, it pulls that off in spades. Plus it’s so stylised that it’s barely aged a day.

• Vulpis says:

I’m trying to remember…do the Tron 2.0 mods, like the one that turns Jet’s disk into the classic Encom frisbee work with the Steam version?

• redrain85 says:

Vulpis, yes all the mods work with the Steam version of the game.

• Ralsto says:

You might want to look up what unintelligible actually means.

You may have a stick up your ass about the goofy fake science of the movie, but it’s an extremely simple and easy to follow plot that even small children can wrap their heads around.

John Walker says:

Aw, poor things – the man said your film was nonsense.

• Konservenknilch says:

It’s not that you said that it’s nonsense – it’s certainly silly as hell. But if you can accept the basic premise, to plot goes pretty much from A to B to C. So nothing unintelligible, you could rather critizise it for being overly simplistic.

• Jay Load says:

It’s not nonsense, John. It’s fantasy. Like Alice in Wonderland is fantasy and also enjoys a fair share of nonsense.

Tron is, quite seriously, one of Disney’s masterpieces. Just an astonishing piece of work.

• Ich Will says:

Did you just refer to yourself in third person? This poster doffs his cap to you if you did.

• Dachannien says:

Why be a smart-arse when we could actually have an interesting discussion about why Tron does or doesn’t make sense?

2. Halk says:

They also updated many Star Wars games with Windows 10 and 360 controller support.

• grundus says:

Which ones? Any chance they’ve fixed the redbook audio issues at least one of the older games had?

• bishmanrock says:

Can’t speak for the above, but I know at least Galactic Battlegrounds came up on my Steam feed saying it had been updated for Windows 10.

• Pretzelcoatl says:

*frantically reinstalls Republic Commando on the off-chance*

3. Neurotic says:

Still got my boxed copy sitting on a shelf, not far from a boxed NOLF.

4. nimbulan says:

I didn’t even realize this game had trouble with Windows 10. I swear it worked fine last time I tried it…

The real problem with this game is that the minimum mouse sensitivity is about equivalent to the maximum in other games so it’s just about impossible to control without turning your mouse DPI down to an incredibly low setting (good luck if you don’t have an adjustable DPI mouse!) Even the unofficial patch doesn’t fix that, at least last time I checked.

5. SimonSays says:

Regarding the NOLF games – do a search of NOLF Revival. I have both my boxed copy of NOLF GOTY and NOLF 2, but stopped installing them on my new computers probably 5 years ago or so. The NOLF revival project offers both full games with all the community patches running in widescreen. They are incredible and don’t take any effort to install and get running.

• Ragnar says:

The NOLF Revival project is software piracy, plain and simple.

That said, what better way to fight piracy than to make your software available for purchase?

6. redrain85 says:

TRON 2.0 has always worked fine on Windows 10. The reason for the update on Steam is due to a flawed launcher they added to the release there. It could prevent the game from starting on Win 10, after downloading from Steam and attempting to install. (But the same issue could also occur on Windows 8.1/8/7.)

No changes have been made to the game itself. The “Windows 10 compatibility” is a fix to the launcher.

7. JackMultiple says:

Also available on GOG.COM with a DRM-free version.

link to gog.com

• jeremyalexander says:

I don’t get how GOG is any more DRM free than Steam. In both you have to download the games from a website to get them working and in both you can play offline. Using GOG Galaxy is exactly the same as using Steam.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Well it’s pretty straight-forward really. The difference between using the steam client and using galaxy is that galaxy is 100% optional – you can just download the GOG games directly from the site via your browser of choice. Once downloaded you can install them at will, even offline, and then run them without the need for any other software. Galaxy is an optional tool for multiplayer, organising updates (which are still available the old-fashioned way) and chatting with friends.

Meanwhile Steam’s client is resolutely not optional. The only way to download steam games is via that client, which handles the installation itself (semi frequently mucking it up in the case of older games, incidentally). While it’s not ACTUALLY true that steam itself is DRM (as some games can be run without even launching steam once they’ve been installed), the enormous majority of games on steam, probably 80% or more at a guess, use it as DRM, and will not allow you to launch them unless the client is running. Yes, you can run said client in offline mode to play your games without being connected to the internet, but that does not work indefinitely, eventually you will need to reconnect.

It’s really just down to a matter of choice, as you can see. GOG, to the best of my knowledge, outright refuses to sell a game if you are REQUIRED to use any kind of online client to play it (although some games on GOG do have additional online features), whereas Steam has no such restrictions in place.

• mavrik says:

Really? Because I distinctly remember Steam preventing me from playing Prey without internet. Even though it’s a singleplayer game.

• durruti says:

that would be the denuvo drm, not steam. check the prey steam page on the right below them tags. ofc the online activation isn’t mentioned there, that’s just common knowledge… everyone knows all the drm schemes and their restrictions…

• jeremyalexander says:

Nope. I played Prey from beginning to end offline. I just had to download it, just like Steam. You vapid hipster haters just want something to shit on and you just pick the easiest and biggest targets. It’s sad really. Thank goodness I don’t care what you think about anything. Cheers and best of luck.

• Jay Load says:

Well, clearly. Like you, I often waste an entire paragraph on things I care nothing about.

• Ragnar says:

Your statement is not correct.

GOG lets you download your games via a website, or an optional client. Once downloaded, you can take the installation media and back it up, burn it to disk, put it on a flash drive, whatever. You never have to download it again, you can install from your files, you can take the installation files somewhere without internet and install there, etc.

Steam does not let you download via the website, you have to use the client. Steam installs the game for you, rather than giving you installation media. You have to be logged into the client to play the game. You may be able to set the client to offline and still play, but sometimes that throws an error. Yes, sometimes you get a game on Steam without DRM, whose files you could copy to another computer without internet, but while you could check each game on Steam to see if, on the off chance, it happens to be one of the few DRM-free ones, you would save a lot of time and hassle by just buying it from GOG.

8. jeremyalexander says:

Wow, if Tron is a little to overwhelming for you to understand, I can’t imagine how it feels when you’re faced with challenging fare like Dumbo, or the the Count from Sesame Street. That actually involved math. Seriously though, I don’t care what anyone says, I really respect Disney. They actually give a crap enough to update a 2003 shooter that few likely play and is part of a franchise they shelved years ago. That just tells me they actually care about what they do and what they put out and it shows in other things like their Marvel and Star Wars movies. People can take pot shots at them all they want, but that is a well run company that is actually putting customers interests forward.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

1 Hahaha, 2 Mwahahahaaa!

They deserve that for not putting Sunday Papers up early enough for me to read in bed.

9. Turkey says:

Every piece of Monolith news is a painful reminder that we’ll never get a NOLF re-release.

10. RaymondQSmuckles says:

If only they could patch away the jumping puzzles; but that’s not going to stop me from reinstalling this right…………….NOW!

11. hoopmanjh says:

It’s a better TRON sequel than TRON Legacy … I actually bought a used CD-ROM copy and played through it about 10 years ago; really enjoyed it, although the lightcycle races were less fun than they should have been, and I only got to the end by constantly opening the console and refilling my health. Possibly because I suck. Still very much worth checking out, though — the visuals are excellent.

• Jay Load says:

TRON Legacy pretty much misunderstood everything that made the first one a masterpiece which is hard to understand considering the original creator was involved. Such a wasted opportunity. :(

TRON 2.0 ‘got it’ completely, and then ran with it. A truly wonderful sequel.

12. hoopmanjh says:

Oh, and that soundtrack!!

13. Danda says:

I started playing the GOG version a couple of months ago because it didn’t work for me on Steam.

And it’s still a great game. It doesn’t feel dated like other games of the time because of the TRON aesthetic, and I’m actually enjoying it much more than when I first played it back then.

• Jay Load says:

It is a genuinely magnificent game. I’m overdue for a replay. Might have to schedule one in soon. The light-cycle bits can be a bit of a slog but the rest is fantastic.

14. RichUncleSkeleton says:

Cool. How about a PC port of Condemned 2 while you’re at it, Monolith?

15. hoopmanjh says:

And I just started a replay and on the one hand, I’d kind of love to try this in VR, and on the other hand, just playing on a 30″ monitor has me almost needing to keep a bucket handy. But man, what a cool game!

16. Nosebeggar says:

Impressive. That kind of thing is not common enough. These days it’s common courtesy to just throw an oldie-but-goldie on steam that’s not even working on windows 7. It’s shameful how these games are abused as a cheap cashcrab via nostalgia (Desperados is one such example)

Often the games can be fixed via a little internet research, but that should not need to be necessary. Fix your shit before you put it on steam.

• Ragnar says:

This is why I go to GOG for older games. I would rather pay a little more and have the games just work than have to spend my limited free time scouring forums and hacking .ini files just to get my games to work.

17. Ragnar says:

As someone who just bought Tron 2.0 during this past sale on RPS’s recommendation, this comes as great news!