PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds shows new desert map, teases bikes

The creator of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] has shown off corners of a desert map coming to the early access Battle Royale ’em up with a future update. Yeah yeah it looks a bit like Fallout: New Vegas’s nuclear wasteland but the real point is: a bicycle is visible in one screenshot. Is this a cheeky tease of rideable bicycles coming? We can only hope. Will the bicycle have a ringable bell? We can only dream!

You see that in the second screenshot? Poking its back wheel around the corner? It might just be a map prop there for decoration (because bicycles are an essential part of desert decor?) but let’s assume:

1) This is a bicycle I can ride;
2) This bicycle is faster than running and quite quiet;
3) This bicycle has a bell I can ring;
4) Several bell variants exist, including a rare broken grinding bell;
5) This bicycle can always be found when I want one;
6) This bicycle lets one of my pals sit on my handlebars as another takes a backie while the third either stands on the pegs or runs alongside (no strong preference).

Because if it were any other way, why would you even bother?

I’m mighty excited by the prospect of bicycles in Plunkbat. Between this and the upcoming climbing, vaulting, and diving, it seems to be taking clunky military-style combat somewhere slightly more agile – and unconventional. Sure, using big guns and explosives to escape a siege is a lark, but I’m definitely up for slipping out a window and quietly pedalling away.

My favourite parts of Plunkbat are slightly scrappy, items I can get by with but need to make work for me. I’d take a bicycle and an UMP over a jeep and an M249 any day. High-end gear is boring, just like camouflage. This is probably why my first win only came last weekend.

Bicycles are so great and it’s a huge shame they appear casually in so few games. My favourite good-times virtuabikes are both from Bernband creator Tom van den Boogaart, who has bicycles for ducks (with such cheery bells!) in his upcoming Digital Bird Playground and his free Bird Snapper offers bicycles (left-click to ring bell) to explore a vast plateau covered in weird. Bicycles shouldn’t be limited to stunt games.

Given how Plunkbat is just cartoony enough to allow ridiculous shenanigans with motorbikes and cars that amaze and astonish players expecting serious military tactics, I keenly await silly bicycle stunts.

I mean, assuming this is a real bicycle we’ll get to ride. I have no idea. And no idea when that new map will arrive either. Last I heard, the desert map was planned to be 4x4km while the new snowy map would be the regulation 8x8km. That might have changed, given that the game is still in early access. But the point is: ring ring!

Ring ring ring!

1. Ghostwise says:

It is difficult to read this article without muttering a certain old Queen song.

2. poliovaccine says:

I’m actually such a rabid nerd for New Vegas that this map might be the tipping point into me finally trying out this game. I mean it’s a total phenomenon anyway, I feel a bit like a deliberate loner just by knowing how much so and still not trying it myself.

But I also think desert settings are just cool as hell, and this appeals to me aesthetically more than any of the other environments I’ve seen out of the game so far.

Out of curiosity, how much variety is there in environments already? I’ve really only seen a few screenshots and youtube videos, which all seemed to show the same basic jungle setting. Is it just that one so far, and this is the first entirely new addition, kinda like an ARMA game getting a new island, or what?

• stevesx says:

Not a jungle, just forest and small towns (couple of bigger ones too). There is, in my opinion, enough variety in the landscape but not in the buildings, only a few different models. Yes, the island that is in the game now is the only one and yes, you could compare this new map to ARMA III getting Altis back in the day or that newer jungle map.

DuncUK says:

The existing map has quite a varied landscape, the towns and villages do have some character of their own and the island is generally a place I enjoy being on (until I’m shot dead, definite 2/5 on Tripadvisor). However, they did rather heavily copy and paste the buildings and interiors. While there are some areas with unique structures (e.g. the military base, the school and several others), most of the small villages and hamlets use one of a small number of generic interiors. To be fair, that isn’t necessarily unrealistic for modern property development but it is perhaps a bit dull. I hope they revisit the map at some point and increase the variety a bit.

3. caff says:

I too want a bike bell.

And I also want car horns in Rocket League. I would put down serious cash to invest in collectable car horns.

If they’re annoying there could be an option to mute them.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you can’t do sick tricks and sweet stunts I don’t see why I should be interested.

5. Pizzzahut says:

OMFG, please let us be able to run people over with the bike. ‘*ding ding*… *thump*’

ahaha.

6. Gomer_Pyle says:

I want to ride my BIcycle …

keithzg says:

Funny enough, the origin point of this game, ArmA, is one of those all-too-few games that has bicycles, so it wouldn’t even be entirely out of established tradition for Plunkbat to join its parent in adding bicycles to a realistic FPS.

8. FordTruck says:

This makes me wish someone made a Spaghetti western survival type of game but with new game mechanics, a big open western sandbox world, with Wild West Outlaws And Lawmen….train robberies, shootouts..I know Red dead redemption 2 is coming out but im just surprised no one has attempted at making a solid open world western game.

9. DLFReporter says:

Ever since Forgotten Hope 2 I love zipping around the Battlefield on a bike. With a Panzerschreck/Piat and a trusty old bike, I was the bane of all tankers. “Ringring… ringring… psshhhht… boom!”
    link to youtube.com
    This is going to be soooo good in Plunkbat!

Comment on this story